Thread: Best time for Subway w/ newbies

Best time for Subway w/ newbies

When is the best time to take newbie

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Depends on the snowpack. In a low to average snow year, mid June to late June can be good because flash floods are rare and thunderstorm season hasn't usually started yet. Sometimes in very heavy snow years it still can have high water then. Days are at their longest then.

I've done it most commonly in early to mid September. The weather then usually isn't quite as hot as mid summer, but the water temperature is usually still pretty warm (comparitively of course). September can still be flash flood season though (but usually not quite as bad as August), so you have to have a really good weather forecast.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

[QUOTE=Chanobelli;523943]When is the best time to take newbie
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Depends on your friends, but...

For many, the hike is more of a challenge than the minor technical issues. If your friends are solid hikers, should not be a problem. If your friends are NOT solid hikers, the long, rugged hike out can be a knockout punch, especially in July and August when it is really hot out.

and may I also suggest training them on rappelling before the excursion to Zion?

Tom

Blog Entries

Best time for Subway w/ newbies

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post

For many, the hike is more of a challenge than the minor technical issues. If your friends are solid hikers, should not be a problem. If your friends are NOT solid hikers, the long, rugged hike out can be a knockout punch, especially in July and August when it is really hot out.

and may I also suggest training them on rappelling before the excursion to Zion?

Tom
    I agree with Tom. I took my father through his first technical canyon last year down the subway and all the obstacles he was able to conquer just fine (including rappelling and dealing with the cold) but the hike out (and the exit ascent) is what killed him.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

If your friends are NOT solid hikers, the long, rugged hike out can be a knockout punch, especially in July and August when it is really hot out.

Tom
    Good point. I have a funny story to tell about a lady that got "knocked out" on that exit.

A few years ago, our group arrived at the steep Subway exit after hiking for 10 hours. We had several nurses in our group. Nurses are great at caring for others, but not great at caring for themselves, so they had not trained one minute for the hike. One nurse got about 50 feet up the 500 foot vertical exit ascent, and her quads/hips simply burned out (and she was 25 ish years old and about 60 lbs overweight). A couple of the fellas in the group had to literally push her caboose up the rest of the trail. Luckily she had a good sense of humor about it.

That was during the last week of September and had little to do with the heat.

When it's hot, I just take a dip in the creek and then mosey up the exit trail. I hate carrying crap through The Subway, especially a wetsuit. Hot weather = less crap. YMMV.

Also, In July I've been trapped behind a large group that were putting on wetsuits before the first falls. People that aren't used to wearing wetsuits take foreeeeverrr to put them on. Don't be the doofy group changing into wetsuits when it is 105 degrees outside.

Bob
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

8. Likes Kuya liked this post
    wife and I did Subday in June of 2005, after doing Keyhole the day before. I thought that was fine. Experienced hikers are we, I had prior rap a nd minor rigging experience. The hike out is really annoying, but not a knockout.

We used 3mm full wetsuits, and that was fine too.

Tom
    I plan on making sure everyone is well rounded in rappelling before we make the trip. I'm trying to also ensure they are ready for the hike but some may end up suffering through the hike out i'm sure.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chanobelli View Post
    I plan on making sure everyone is well rounded in rappelling before we make the trip. I'm trying to also ensure they are ready for the hike but some may end up suffering through the hike out i'm sure.
    If I have a big tip for that, it is to bring plenty of food, and eat it. When people are hot, they often stop eating. Not Good.

Tom

If I have a big tip for that, it is to bring plenty of food, and eat it. When people are hot, they often stop eating. Not Good.

Tom
    I'll make sure everyone brings plenty of water and food thanks for the advise.

If doing the hike out in July or August we just play in the river pools until the exit is in the shade. The exit is east facing and gets the shade in the late afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    If doing the hike out in July or August we just play in the river pools until the exit is in the shade. The exit is east facing and gets the shade in the late afternoon.
    Amen Start at about 11 am.