Thread: Trailer Camping Near Moab

Trailer Camping Near Moab

Excuse the double post from the Mountain Biking section, but I know a lot of you may also have experience relevant to my question. Which is:

I just got a tent trailer and I am thinking about dragging it with my to Moab this spring for my annual exodus. Depending on group dynamics, we may end up parking it at the KOA place south of town. However, I am also interested if anybody has any suggestions for a good, trailer-with-low-ground-clearance camping spot. My first thought is that Willow Springs Road (road to Sovereign Trailhead) would be pretty good. Any more that I should consider?

2. Likes witt liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I would suggest you look at Sand Flats, just east of Moab; you go east from Moab on Sand Flats road! (look it up on Giggle Earth). I camped there a year or two back (in the winter) and it was fine.

Horsethief north of Moab near Dead Horse Point has nice spots and I've never seen it very full.
    Charlie...
    Stalking Light

We always like to tent camp at the Big Bend Campground along the river. Ground clearance is great, not sure if they allow trailers, been a while since we have been there. They have good spots for backing into, and I think they have some pull throughs. No real facilities like a KOA, just the drop toilets and some water taps.
    Jared Hillhouse
    North Wash Outfitters LLP.
    Twitter: @North_Wash
    N.W.O. on Facebook
    "Great Adventure Buddies Make It Happen"

Quote Originally Posted by Canyonbug View Post
    We always like to tent camp at the Big Bend Campground along the river. Ground clearance is great, not sure if they allow trailers, been a while since we have been there. They have good spots for backing into, and I think they have some pull throughs. No real facilities like a KOA, just the drop toilets and some water taps.
    I used to love those campgrounds before they destroyed the Tamarisk bushes. Not trying to stir a pot or anything as I know and understand the reason to get rid of them. However, they made for some awesome camp spots with a fair amount of privacy from other campers. Not the case anymore.

I've gone past Moab to Ken's lake. There are a lot of camping spots there.

North side of arches. Salt Valley Rd (I think is the name) - BLM land with plenty of spots to just park and throw your trailer up. There is always trailers out there. Make sure you don't just park your stuff on the dirt road (but there are plenty of side dirt roads to use, with pullouts) - This is not an "official campground" So there is nothing out here, but a place to park and sleep really.