Thread: Armed vigilante groups policing 2 Mexican towns

Armed vigilante groups policing 2 Mexican towns

This could get really interesting... what if ordinary citizen's with firearms are the ones that clean up Mexico's problems with violence?

Armed vigilante groups policing 2 Mexican towns

ACAPULCO, Mexico (AP) - Several hundred civilians have taken up arms in two towns in a southwestern Mexico state and are arresting people suspected of crimes and imposing a curfew, leading authorities to promise to reinforce security forces in the area.

People wearing ski masks or bandanas and carrying small arms this week began manning checkpoints on roads into the municipalities of Ayutla de los Libres and Teconoapa in Guerrero state's Costa Chica area about 75 miles (120 kilometers) southeast of the Pacific resort of Acapulco. Leaders said they were acting against crime and insecurity.

Guerrero Gov. Angel Aguirre Rivero responded Friday by announcing that security in the region would be bolstered by sending in Mexican soldiers and marines and federal and state police officers.

People in the area said about 800 residents were participating in the armed groups acting as unofficial police. The vigilantes ordered a 10 p.m. curfew for the two towns and are looking for suspected criminals. Schools have suspended classes.

In Ayutla, Romualdo Remigio Cantu, one of the coordinators for the civic group Union of Peoples and Social Organizations of Guerrero, said that more than 30 people had been arrested. The detainees are accused of drug trafficking, extortion and kidnapping, he said.

A man in a ski mask at one roadblock told reporters that townspeople had to act against criminals.

"They kill, extort, rape. You do not know if they are drug dealers, thugs, who want to grab everything," he said. "We want to return peace and tranquility to the entire population. Only the people can restore order."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Assault Weapons?

Very interesting. Could be the answer if they do it right. Could also be a fast track to anarchy. This will prove an interesting experiment either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Bootboy View Post
    Could also be a fast track to anarchy. This will prove an interesting experiment either way.
    I'd say anarchy pretty much describes the current situation in parts of Mexico....

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    I'd say anarchy pretty much describes the current situation in parts of Mexico....
    Yeah, and if I lived there I'd at least want to fight back. I thought it was illegal for citizens to own firearms in Mexico? Handguns only, perhaps? I see picture of the civilians down there with shotguns and rifles.
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.