Thread: Imlay in March

Imlay in March

Any historical data on doing Imlay in March? Conditions?

I haven't been to Canditions yet will will take a look at it tonight and see what I can find. Essentially time is looking pretty limited this season and Imlay has been on the list but I want to try and catch it in a relatively safe (full) condition. This would be my first time through as we'll as the other 2 group members. I'm thinking March will probably not be the time to catch it full though. Any experience in this canyon this time of year? It may have to wait until next season.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Imlay in March

Ive been in other zion canyons in march. It will be an icy death trap in parts. Full of up to 20' of snow in others. There are places man is not meant to travel. Imlay in march comes to mind. I've seen ice fall off walls, had snow bridges collapse, postholed, and the like in march in zion. I suppose it may vary greatly depending on the winter's snowfall but I'd not venture to find out

4. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    This was from early april last year. The canyon was full, and extremely cold . Also last year winter was unusually warm. We only had three people, two of which had been through Imlay before so we moved fairly quickly. Unless conditions are perfect, March probably isn't the best time for a first run through Imlay.

Imlay in March

I anticipated that would be the answer I got. Thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by Bshelton View Post
    Any historical data on doing Imlay in March? Conditions?
    I did it in early March. 16F in the morning. Full on winter conditions. In fact, it was technically still winter (pre-March 20). Was my third trip through and I had a strong, experienced partner. Frozen, partly unfrozen. And, I'll say probably a bit scary and risky too. Low low margin.

I'd probably not recommend it for most folks, even experienced.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    There are times when knowing the canyon fairly well, when having a good idea of where you are and what is ahead, is a very good idea. When leading beginners through a canyon, for instance. Or when doing canyons in winter conditions.

Tom