Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grand Canyon

Grand Canyon

So I finally got my opportunity! I've always wanted to row a boat down the GC. A few weeks ago a spot opened up on a private, and my retainer check was in the mail even before I hung up the phone :-) We launch March 18th at 11AM and pull out at Pierce Ferry on April 8th! Woohoo! Have a great itinerary of hiking 8-12 slot canyons during the passage too! The cool thing about the trip is that total out of pocket shouldn't exceed $1500 (inclusive of food, boat and gear rental, libations and shuttle service). I'm psyched to finally get to row the whole river, and psyched to be going with an awesome group of folks!

2. Likes 2065toyota liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Grand Canyon

congrats!!

Bogley BigShot
    I am so happy for you Bo!

Grand Canyon

Congratulations Bo!
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

Thanks guys! Here is a picture of the boat I'll be rowing down The Grand! Fun stuff!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Grand Canyon

Very cool! I look forward to the TR.
    wade

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    wnorton @ Southern, UT

Quote Originally Posted by wnorton View Post
    Very cool! I look forward to the TR.
    X2!

Grand Canyon

Awesome Bo. Trip of a lifetime!

And I thought we might eat well?!

March 18th: Breakfast: Bagels/Cream cheese/fruit (Moe does)
    3 pkgs. Bagels, 2 pkgs. Cream cheese, 1 pkg. pre cooked bacon, 3 dozen Eggs, juice

Lunch: Sammies (all staples in lunch box)
    2 loaves bread, mayo, mustard, pickles, pepperoncini, 2 lbs. sliced Turkey, 1 lb. sliced Roast beef, 1 lb. sliced Ham, 1 lb. sliced Cheddar cheese, 1 lb. sliced Swiss cheese, 1 head lettuce,
    3 tomatoes,3 avocadoes, 1 red onion, Pringles, cookies

Dinner: Herb Chicken (day 1)
    Appetizers: Salad: mixed greens for 16, 2 tomatoes, 2 cucumbers, 1 can garbanzo beans, pumpkin seeds, croutons, dressing
    16 Chicken Breast, garlic and herb marinara, long grain/wild rice for 16
    Dessert: Chocolate cake Frozen (2)

March 19th: Breakfast: Bacon/Eggs/fruit
    3 dozen Eggs, 3 lbs. Bacon, 1 bag Granola, 1 box milk, 2 pkgs. Bagels, 1 pkg. cream cheese, frozen juice

Lunch: Hummus/Pita bread
    Pre made Hummus for 16, 2 pkgs. Pita bread, 1 lb. sliced Swiss cheese, 1 lb. sliced Cheddar cheese, 1 head lettuce, 3 tomatoes, 2 red bells, 2 green bells, 1 bag baby carrots, chips

Itinerary for those that may be interested?

Day # Date Daily Itinerary Camp Rowing Miles Camping Option 2 Hikes Technical Canyons Scout Issues/Ideas CHANGE NOTES
    -1 16-Mar Meet at Flagstaff at ??? ???
    Eat at ??? and stay ???
    0 17-Mar Meet ??? to ride shuttle to Lee's Ferry. Rig rafts. Dinner at Marble Canyon Lodge boater's camp or lodge 0 Cathedral (3), if time permits How do we shuttle people from Lee's up to Marble Canyon and back?
    1 18-Mar Ranger briefing at 9am then launch at 11am. Due to late start, may not have time for dayhikes - but possible hikes are Jackass (8) and Soap (11) Hot Na Na (16.7L) 17 Soap (11.3R) Jackass (8) or Soap (11) Removed 13 Mile Ledge as camp option, this is a low water camp (note: I have a question in to Tom Martin to find out what constitutes "low water" in his guidebook.)

Nice dude! Really happy for you and sounds like an amazing trip with good food! I know your shoulder was bugging ya a while back, hopefully that gets itself all sorted out before you have to row everyday. :)
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Bogley BigShot
    Take LOTS of pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! March 18th to April 7th.... no contact Bo days. Bummer! Have fun! Pictures of Bo when I went with him through the GC.

http://www.zionnational-park.com/ima...m2/index37.htm
    Attached Images Attached Images  

39 days and counting! Yee-Haw! Similar boat, hopefully similar re-inactment at Crystal??!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxKF0SLUc3Q

Grand Canyon

Bo, I'm a 4* certified paddler (4 star BCU kayaker) from the Pacific Northwest and I'm very familiar with extreme conditions. With that being said, that launch out of the whole would require me to clean out the drysuits. :)

We anxiously await the photos of your journey.
    Wade

From wnorton using an iPad and Tapatalk HD.

take a waterproof camera and extra batteries - one that has s sports mode, or better yet, the ability to manually set a focus zone (e.g., my Lumix TS20)

I did a 220 mile 10 day trip in the early 1980s - I had a waterproof camera (Fujica HD) for action shots on the water, and carried my Canon SLR stuff in an ammo box (painted white to relfect the heat of the sun) - I also carried the ammo box on one side hike that had a lot of wading - I brought an extra shoulder strap for the ammo box

Your best scenic photos will be from the hikes when you hike above the canyon floor

make sure that you waterproof camera is on a lanyard

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi_outdoors View Post
    take a waterproof camera and extra batteries - one that has s sports mode, or better yet, the ability to manually set a focus zone (e.g., my Lumix TS20)

I did a 220 mile 10 day trip in the early 1980s - I had a waterproof camera (Fujica HD) for action shots on the water, and carried my Canon SLR stuff in an ammo box (painted white to relfect the heat of the sun) - I also carried the ammo box on one side hike that had a lot of wading - I brought an extra shoulder strap for the ammo box

Your best scenic photos will be from the hikes when you hike above the canyon floor

make sure that you waterproof camera is on a lanyard
    I have my GOPRO Hero mounted to the top of my helmet. Might be some good vid. or maybe the Mighty Colorado from a trouts perspective? I will probably only be using that camera for everything, not sure yet? Maybe take my Nikon Coolpix 5400 for some of the hikes?

Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck View Post
    I have my GOPRO Hero mounted to the top of my helmet. Might be some good vid. or maybe the Mighty Colorado from a trouts perspective? I will probably only be using that camera for everything, not sure yet? Maybe take my Nikon Coolpix 5400 for some of the hikes?
    The GoPro continues to do great, but you'll need the right mounting positions to portray the real scale of things. The helmet mount is popular but often produces very shaky footage, plus it sits so high up on the helmet that you may not get the real scale of how big the rapids really were. @Alex does pretty well at mounting it on a tripod on his boat. You can see the crew and the boat compared to the size of the river.

Then of course the occasional frame mount, then hand held, maybe even mounted to the oars for a few shots

20. Likes tanya liked this post
    Awesome! I really want to do that some day.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck View Post
    On my upcoming GC North Rim hike down to Thunder River, Granite Narrows and Dear Creek I will carry a Nikon P310. Very pocketable, full control, good low-light, wide angle.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    The GoPro continues to do great, but you'll need the right mounting positions to portray the real scale of things. The helmet mount is popular but often produces very shaky footage, plus it sits so high up on the helmet that you may not get the real scale of how big the rapids really were. @Alex does pretty well at mounting it on a tripod on his boat. You can see the crew and the boat compared to the size of the river.

Then of course the occasional frame mount, then hand held, maybe even mounted to the oars for a few shots

I know what you mean. I went over today and picked up my boat and assembled the frame and put the boat together, then took it to the lake. 35 days to launch. I'm going to try to rig a post off the frame to mount the GoPro. The boat is a modified Jacks Plastics 16' cataraft. The frame has been narrowed as to make it creek capable. It's about a 5' beam. I think if I can mount a post next to my seat it might work?