Thread: Morocco Canyon

Morocco Canyon

On January 2nd, 2013, Steph and I ventured through Morocco Canyon.

The approach looks improbable from below, but proved to work just fine. Thanks to Luke Galyan for the excellent beta, we greatly appreciated the detailed approach photo. Below is Steph making her way across the most exposed part of the approach.

Name:  IMG_5344.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  107.0 KB

The rest of the route is very scenic; it is one of the best in the North Wash. The obstacles are challenging, and the rappels are rapid-fire. We loved this canyon and can't wait to do it again.

Rappel #1
    Name:  IMG_5346.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  68.8 KB

Name:  IMG_5354.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  88.9 KB

A superb little arch.
    Name:  IMG_5361.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  81.0 KB

Name:  IMG_5364.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  93.2 KB

Some nice varnish.
    Name:  IMG_5365.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  115.6 KB
    Challenging stemming (for us). Looks like someone fell in the day before? Steph also made it across, high and dry.
    Name:  IMG_5370.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  118.5 KB

With some effort, we earned our "Dry Shoes and Rope" merit badge.

Name:  IMG_5379.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  81.2 KB

Bob

http://amazingslots.blogspot.com/201...co-canyon.html
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Nice.

Let's also thank Dave Pimental for sniffing out this gem of a canyon.

Tom

Just before the last rap and semi-open area, there is a wide section that usually holds water, that you can't stem across. Was it dry?

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
    Just before the last rap and semi-open area, there is a wide section that usually holds water, that you can't stem across. Was it dry?
    Totally dry. I don't remember seeing any signs that water was ever there... but I don't have a photographic memory.

My merit badge comment was tongue-in-cheek. It's pretty easy to keep yourself dry, but keeping your rope dry is still tricky.

Bob
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    Totally dry. I don't remember seeing any signs that water was ever there... but I don't have a photographic memory.

My merit badge comment was tongue-in-cheek. It's pretty easy to keep yourself dry, but keeping your rope dry is still tricky.

Bob
    Reports are, water to ankle deep in two areas in Morocco. VERY unusual, I have never done it without at least a waist-deep wade.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Nice.

Let's also thank Dave Pimental for sniffing out this gem of a canyon.

Tom
    Good find! I hope he finds more of that caliber.

I do have a question about his beta (I'm not sure if he posts on Bogley). I've always wondered why he uses UTM coordinates in his descriptions? They are rather cumbersome to use IMO, since they must be converted to be used in some GPS units or in Google Earth.

Can't believe we missed you in there! It was a true beauty of a canyon. We made it through totally dry as well.

Good find! I hope he finds more of that caliber.

I do have a question about his beta (I'm not sure if he posts on Bogley). I've always wondered why he uses UTM coordinates in his descriptions? They are rather cumbersome to use IMO, since they must be converted to be used in some GPS units or in Google Earth.
    Uh, well, I cannot speak for Dave but...

I am a UTM user. The system just makes more sense to me. I KNOW what a meter is. I have no idea how far a "second" is.

Also, degrees.minutes.decimal minutes and degree.minutes.seconds can get confused - more than one rescue has gone awry as a result of a miscommunication of coordinates. There is exactly one UTM system = less confusion.

You can set up your GPS (and probably Google Earth) and Topo! Maps for whatever coordinate system works for you. Not too much of a problem.

On my maps, I provide deg.min.decmin coordinates BECAUSE that is the preferred system of SAR heli pilots, and the GPS points are primarily provided for the sheriff to figure out where people are.

Tom

10. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    You can set up your GPS (and probably Google Earth) and Topo! Maps for whatever coordinate system works for you. Not too much of a problem.

On my maps, I provide deg.min.decmin coordinates BECAUSE that is the preferred system of SAR heli pilots, and the GPS points are primarily provided for the sheriff to figure out where people are.

Tom
    Interesting, didn't know about the 1 meter correlation.

Upon further review... I was mistaken. My GPS and Google Earth will both handle UTM. Good to know for the next time we use beta from the Minislot Guide.

Thanks for the info Tom!

Re: Morocco

You can set your GPS and map software to work in meters no matter what system you use.

Mathematically UTM has to be the dumbest system ever created. We live on a round planet, not a flat one. And no one walks only north-south, east-west.

FWIW: SAR air crews use dd.mm.ss which is s good thing to know. Nothing like an error in conversion when your ass is on the line.

Sent using Tapatalk

13. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    You can skip the water if you want by climbing up the left side of the canyon when you get to the water. There is a small wind arch up there that works as a nice anchor. You rappel down after the water.

"On January 2nd, 2013, Steph and I ventured through Morocco Canyon.

The approach looks improbable from below, but proved to work just fine. Thanks to Luke Galyan for the excellent beta, we greatly appreciated the detailed approach photo. Below is Steph making her way across the most exposed part of the approach."

Certainly appreciate all your trip reports and Candition reports, Bob.
    Wife and I explored this canyon at the end of Memorial Day weekend last year. Didn't have time to actually do the descent, but wanted to scout out the access for future reference and see what problems it presented. Luke's description was perfect. Once above the narrow shelf, we found a well-used trail. I imagine some folks could have a little mental problem with the access and it's certainly more difficult going back down it but still doable without a rope.
    Thanks, Moab Mark, for the suggestion on how to avoid the water.

Challenging stemming (for us). Looks like someone fell in the day before? Steph also made it across, high and dry.
    Name:  IMG_5370.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  118.5 KB
    Nope, nobody fell in..... I threw a big rock in it to see how thick the ice was!

Quote Originally Posted by MrAdam View Post
    Nope, nobody fell in..... I threw a big rock in it to see how thick the ice was!
    Ah! That's good. Using my CSI skills , it looked like something the diameter of a thigh went through the ice. The disturbed plates behind the hole looked like somebody waded out. Glad that wasn't the case.

Re: Morocco

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    You can skip the water if you want by climbing up the left side of the canyon when you get to the water. There is a small wind arch up there that works as a nice anchor. You rappel down after the water.
    Hmmm...will look for it next time. Good to know.

Did Moracco in late August this past year and based on water then never imagined you could do it all and stay dry. Good job and good luck.

20. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    One of my favorites! Did it two years ago in December and it was awesome!