Thread: Monkey Business

Monkey Business

On December 31st, 2012, Steph and I headed through Monkey Business. We chose to go with very little beta, to spice things up a little. In hindsight, this was a fantastic canyon to gamble with. There are a couple of obstacles in Monkey Business that will challenge most canyoneers. I bet the first descent of this canyon was very exciting.

We were familiar with the exit and the approach, so that was easy. We knew that the longest rappel was 25m and that there was a large pothole that usually contains water, so we brought wetsuits. We didn't know anything else about the route.

There is a very interesting rap, pothole, twisty corner, pothole, rap sequence that is very pretty, and gives every canyoneer an opportunity to screw up. The second pothole is so dark that you need a headlamp to see into the bottom, and it's geometry is not deadman friendly (even though that is what we ended up doing). If the potholes were full of water, it could become a very serious obstacle. Luckily it was bone dry, so we had a lot of fun with the sequence, and thought it was an excellent surprise. It was somewhat dark in there, and we were busy, so we didn't get any pictures of this section.

FWIW, not leaving grooves in this canyon takes patience and finesse. Being cold is not a reason to leave a groove. Feeling frustrated with an obstacle is not a reason to leave a groove. Keep this in mind if you ever attempt Monkey Business, because this canyon is challenging and still very pristine.

Car-to-car MB took us about 7 hours. It is a much different canyon than Shenanigans next door, but just as good IMO.

We were so bundled up that we forgot our helmets.
    Neither one of us noticed until the first rappel. Don't worry Tom, we are still decidedly pro-helmet.
    Name:  IMG_5304.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  118.5 KB

Name:  IMG_5310.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  93.6 KB

Name:  IMG_5315.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  127.4 KB

We came across a keeper pothole and had to put on the wetsuits. This was our first experience in ice water (yes only thigh deep, but still pretty cold).

Name:  GOPR0354.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  65.1 KB
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Brrrrr.... You two are gluttens for punishment. That is a nice canyon though.

4. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by peakbaggers View Post
    Brrrrr.... You two are gluttens for punishment. That is a nice canyon though.
    Shoot, we are lightweights compared to some of the folks we met down there. Some were camping for 10 nights and hanging their wetsuits & thermal underwear in the trees to "dry". (If that works for you, then there is nothing wrong with that. It's just not my idea of fun.) The temperature was never above 30 during our stay.

TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

This is a great picture!

Name:  IMG_5315.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  127.4 KB
    Riverside Mountain Rescue Unit
    http://www.rmru.org/

Personal Website
    http://www.DrunkRedDragon.com/adventures.htm

7. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    Shoot, we are lightweights compared to some of the folks we met down there. Some were camping for 10 nights and hanging their wetsuits & thermal underwear in the trees to "dry". (If that works for you, then there is nothing wrong with that. It's just not my idea of fun.) The temperature was never above 30 during our stay.

What the h&%$ is wrong with those people

It's just not my idea of fun.) The temperature was never above 30 during our stay.

Never above 30 = skiing!!!

10. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    ... so we had a lot of fun with the sequence, and thought it was an excellent surprise. It was somewhat dark in there, and we were busy, so we didn't get any pictures of this section.
    Nice job! I agree, the sequencing and challenges in here are fantastic. I did this canyon with my 10 year old last February, and loved it! He actually did great, up until the Kelsey Exit when a rock fell on his fingers. No harm, but that was it; he was done... ;-)

Glad you had the wetsuits. Smart move, even though it adds to bulk and weight. We hit icy water, and ended up stripping all the way down. Brrr...

This is definitely one of our top canyons, and one that we would do again.

Thanks for the TR!

12. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Nice TR(s)! Reminds me that I need to revisit Monkey Business one of these days... Cool you made it to FF, but I am curious as it seems like you missed one of the best parts (no, not the Jan 1 Black Hole) : joining up with semi-random groups of FF attendees to drop canyons. (?)
    -john

Quote Originally Posted by outsider View Post
    Nice TR(s)! Reminds me that I need to revisit Monkey Business one of these days... Cool you made it to FF, but I am curious as it seems like you missed one of the best parts (no, not the Jan 1 Black Hole) : joining up with semi-random groups of FF attendees to drop canyons. (?)
    -john
    For me, the best part of being outside is immersing myself in nature. It centers my mind, much like meditation.

I felt that there were too many distractions at FF for me to have a quality experience. So I opted out.

Bob