Thread: Utah's Canyon Country Names - Steve Allen

Utah's Canyon Country Names - Steve Allen

Steve Allen's new book "Utah's Canyon Country Place Names" is now available at Back of Beyond in Moab, or online at:

http://backofbeyondbooks.com/product...=1356988757473

The down-side is the book is $99.00

I was going to order a copy, but I'm not interested at that price.

Name:  canyoncountryplacenames.jpg
Views: 929
Size:  11.5 KB

Utah's Canyon Country Place Names

By Steve Allen
    Price $99.95

More than 4,000 place name derivations, including early descriptions and stories told by the explorers, pioneers, cowboys, miners and river runners who put names on the land. This two volume set is a tour de force by author, explorer and canyoneerer Steve Allen. A must for any canyon country enthusiast. Signed sets are now available. Due to the weight of this two volume set, a shipping surcharge of $5.00 will be added to the basic shipping fee automatically charged.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

A hundred bucks is a steep price, but there are several things to consider.
    If you value the written word and have a library of books in your home, you may want to consider this reference book.
    It is a 2 volume set with, I believe, over 1000 pages. I had the priviledge of having access to a working copy for years and have used it several times.
    If you are a historian, professional or amateur, or you have an interest in UT you will find this book helpful as well as entertaining.
    Our family owns a copy and I look forward to using it for decades to come.
    Penny

I concur with Penny's comments. Please, if you have a curious bone in your body about name origins or Utah history, this purchase is a must. For this set of two reference books, the price is a steal. There are some books that you pick up and feel like you're holding a sacred scroll? A few guide books are in that catagory (Todd Martin's encyclopedia of the Grand Canyon would qualify, IMHO). These books certainly qualify as well. I also invite you all to familiarize yourself with this author, if you have not done so. Steve Allen is one of the pioneers of adventure in many arenas and remains passionately involved in outdoor pursuits and environmental preservation.

Ice, you are a smart man and a canyon country advocate. Please, reconsider.

Respectfully,
    Jenny

Quote Originally Posted by JennyMae View Post
    Ice, you are a smart man and a canyon country advocate. Please, reconsider.
    When I first heard of the book was avaiable I was hoping for a single book in the $30 price range. I went to the website to order a copy and was hit with a bit of sticker shock...

When I first wrote the above post I didn't realize it was a two volume set for $100, which makes the price somewhat easier to swallow.

Next time I'm in Moab I'll look over a copy of the book. I know I would get a lot of use from the books because I try to include some history in my route descriptions whenever possible. I just have to decide if I'd get $100 use out of them.

Have to admit a fair bit of sticker shock too...I gotta see the book(s) in person. Looks amazing, but, yeah. Heckuva reference to be sure.

I'd like to think I have a higher than average appreciation for the written word...and, also a nicely bound, sturdy, well done book. I'm warming up to it.

I think I'm going to go in on it together with my ma and make it a present for my pops. That way we all get to look at it and it only sets us back $50 each! Excited to read it!

If you are up and at 'em this morning and get radio reception in the SLC area, author, Steve Allen will be on NPR in SLC today at 9:40 on 88.3 or 105.5 (KCPW) on City Talk. I believe it is possible to stream it online, as well? My set sits on my coffee table and is already covered in finger prints. It is really a great reference book. Many of our canyoneering pals are mentioned and countless place name descriptions of spots we all think we know. It should be very interesting hearing Steve speak about the years of creation. I'm not in the SLC area. If someone catches a listen, offer a report?

Jenny

For a mere 50$ I purchased a used two volume color large format set of Don Martins chuckles. Now that was value. Frickin heavy to.