Circuit advertisement

Off the Boulder Mail Trail, Boulder Utah
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Lower Death HollowName:  P9290397.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  136.7 KB

Avoiding a swimmer

Greta the child-guide (7) leads her team to the summit of the Grand Teton in a record breaking free solo ascent.

7. Likes zzyzx, Slot Machine liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by JJensen View Post
    Greta the child-guide (7) leads her team to the summit of the Grand Teton in a record breaking free solo ascent.
    Are you serious, I can't tell, because the rock kinda does look like the Grand Teton from the photo. I climbed it by Exum Ridge, but wouldn't free solo it. I also want to take my daughter up it one day.

That is pretty inspiring to see a 7 year old on the Grand, awesome.

Steve,
    YES. We made three attempts and made the summit on the third. We were stormed off with about 200 feet to go on the first try. On the second try we were held up by crowds and below freezing temps. The third was perfect. More about it here: http://outerlocal.com/climbing/greta...enture-outpost and here: http://www.wyomingwhiskey.net/

Steve,
    YES. We made three attempts and made the summit on the third. We were stormed off with about 200 feet to go on the first try. On the second try we were held up by crowds and below freezing temps. The third was perfect. More about it here: http://outerlocal.com/climbing/greta...enture-outpost and here: http://www.wyomingwhiskey.net/
    Awesome! Please give Greta my congratulations, that is so great. My daughter is 5 now, and I was thinking about climbing the Grand with her when she was 10-ish. Did Greta down climb the O-S route, or did you guys rap off? At what age did you start Greta climbing? I am thinking about starting my daughter this spring, we live in the Gunks in NY.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hawkins View Post
    Awesome! Please give Greta my congratulations, that is so great. My daughter is 5 now, and I was thinking about climbing the Grand with her when she was 10-ish. Did Greta down climb the O-S route, or did you guys rap off? At what age did you start Greta climbing? I am thinking about starting my daughter this spring, we live in the Gunks in NY.
    Steve,
    Thanks.
    We rapped at the O/S rappel all three times. The chimneys were icy on the last successful attempt we made and it wouldn't have been any fun to down climb them.

Greta and her twin sister Leah started at age 4 in the indoor gym and we moved outdoors with the Summer of their 4th year. I took them on their first pack trip at 4 also - we did Coyote Gulch off Hole in the Rock Road from Crack-in-the-Wall up-canyon to Red Well; about 15 miles over three days. They've been on countless adventures with me now, some as long a 22 miles in very rugged country.

Get your daughter out - you'll never regret it! Cheers, Justin

Steve,
    Thanks.
    We rapped at the O/S rappel all three times. The chimneys were icy on the last successful attempt we made and it wouldn't have been any fun to down climb them.

Greta and her twin sister Leah started at age 4 in the indoor gym and we moved outdoors with the Summer of their 4th year. I took them on their first pack trip at 4 also - we did Coyote Gulch off Hole in the Rock Road from Crack-in-the-Wall up-canyon to Red Well; about 15 miles over three days. They've been on countless adventures with me now, some as long a 22 miles in very rugged country.

Get your daughter out - you'll never regret it! Cheers, Justin
    Oh, she gets out plenty, and she is a real trooper. She did a 25 mile backpacker in the Wind River this summer, some of it off trail. And we did a 4 night to the bottom of the Grand Canyon and back when she was 4 years old, she hiked the whole thing. She is a great hiker, but I haven't got her climbing yet. Maybe i will this spring. Way to get Greta outdoors!

Sorry, this is Steve again, but I accidentally posted under my wife's account.

Name:  Wave.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  111.7 KB
    The Wave in January

14. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Name:  North Coyote.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  98.5 KB
    The hike out that day

Name:  Grand Loop.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  107.9 KB
    Sunrise/Moon set, Grand Loop Trail Red Rock Consevation Area NV

Name:  Kanarra.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  159.7 KB
    Kanarra Creek

18. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Name:  Aspens.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  267.5 KB
    Aspens on Bristlecone Loop, Mt. Charleston NV

Name:  Timp.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  43.0 KB
    A few or many pictures of the year, one from far and one close to home, both great hikes, Mt St Helens, and Timp

21. Likes Sandstone Addiction, accadacca liked this post

Sims Branch Trail, Raleigh NC

Name:  057.JPG
Views: 219
Size:  189.7 KB

25. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Name:  S0030481x.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  44.1 KB
    Condor at Grand Canyon
    [COLOR=#800080][FONT=franklin gothic medium]"Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L

27. Likes Udink liked this post