Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hitch Carrier Compatibility

Hitch Carrier Compatibility

Because I determined that i need yet another expensive hobby to burn my kids' inheritance on; Santa brought some mountain bikes. Eventually i am going to need a way to get haul them. I have been looking at trailer hitch carriers but can't figure out if they are compatible with my bikes. The Felt Nine 80s that I got have a slanted frame, have the cables on the bottom, and the cables would be between the frame and the cradle in the carrier. Are they all like that? Are all of these bikes I see on these hanging carriers riding on their cables? Are these hanging hitches pretty universal?? I have never messed with these things except to notice them on the highway every now and then.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Look at Thule T2. Best rack I've had.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Charlie...
    Stalking Light

I like the carriers that the bikes ride on their tires with brackets that just go up to hold the frame.. Such as the T2 or the nashbar version :) http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...14_-1___202593
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

^^^

If you want a great bike rack, one where the bikes won't swing in the wind and scratch up, or sway when you go over bumps, get a rack where you just set the bikes on and the wheels fit in the grooves. Then it won't matter what type of frame you have on the bike.

I'm very happy with my Swagman bike rack and my buddy Dave just got one too.

I second the vote for the Swagman. I recently bought a Thule four bike rack, for those outings where I bring the whole clan. The Thule though, (it looks like the one in your first pic), where the bikes all hang.... I am not a fan of that, because of the possible damage they can sustain being mounted and hauled on the road. I have a Swagman two-bike rack where the wheels fit in the brackets, and I absolutely love it. Easy on, easy off, and the bikes are stable and never rub. Amazon has the best deals on the Swagman, 2 or 4 bike variety.http://www.amazon.com/Swagman-Cross-...ywords=swagman

Re: Hitch Carrier Compatibility

I was in your same boat needing a rack to carry 4 bikes. All the ones I liked were more money than I wanted to spend. In the 700+ range. The less expensive carriers held the bike by the frame & I didn't like the potential wear on the frame. So I decided to build my own. I love the rack, I can carry 1-4 bikes on it. Hold the bikes by the tires so no frame wear it can fit any size of bike easily. I've had road bikes & small 24 in. Bikes on it with no problem. Cost me about $200 to build. Plus it was fun to build and figure out. I love the comments from others as it does look unique. My favorite is, "nice rack".

Sent from my SPH-L900

8. Likes rich67, 2065toyota liked this post
    Red, that is AWESOME. Ingenious way you have the wheels locked in!

Name:  IMG_0228.jpg
Views: 1267
Size:  48.3 KB
    Here's the Thule.
    Name:  167428_4699454799348_1002242390_n.jpg
Views: 4489
Size:  80.8 KB
    Here it is fully loaded with 4 full suspension bikes. The cool thing about the Thule is it has an integrated cable lock that secures the bikes to the carrier, and has an optional locking hitch pin. The downside is it's tough to fit four bikes on it without the pedals bashing either spokes or frames. You have to spend a lot of time to get it loaded up properly, otherwise, you'll mess up your bikes. But it's a solid carrier, and it's inexpensive.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSpecialized View Post
    I was in your same boat needing a rack to carry 4 bikes. All the ones I liked were more money than I wanted to spend. In the 700+ range. The less expensive carriers held the bike by the frame & I didn't like the potential wear on the frame. So I decided to build my own. I love the rack, I can carry 1-4 bikes on it. Hold the bikes by the tires so no frame wear it can fit any size of bike easily. I've had road bikes & small 24 in. Bikes on it with no problem. Cost me about $200 to build. Plus it was fun to build and figure out. I love the comments from others as it does look unique. My favorite is, "nice rack".
    This is awesome. However, I just don't have the DIY abilities that most of you have. I am not proud to admit that your carrier is way above my head for a DIY. I could probably swing Sombeech's PVC stand, but that is about my limit.

Quote Originally Posted by rich67 View Post
    Here's the Thule.
    Here it is fully loaded with 4 full suspension bikes. The cool thing about the Thule is it has an integrated cable lock that secures the bikes to the carrier, and has an optional locking hitch pin. The downside is it's tough to fit four bikes on it without the pedals bashing either spokes or frames. You have to spend a lot of time to get it loaded up properly, otherwise, you'll mess up your bikes. But it's a solid carrier, and it's inexpensive.
    Thank you. This is helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by rich67 View Post
    Here's the Thule.
    Hey, Florida Rich......does it not seem to bother your cables to have these ride on them? Meaning the weight of your FS bikes sitting on top of the cables on the carrier?

I've used all forms of hitch carriers at one point or another, and I can say not one of them ever caused my cables to break, fray, or bind up. Bike cables are tough suckers, and the holders are usually rubber, so there isn't an issue with fraying. Secondly, if you lock the bikes down fully, they won't rub or rock where they would cause problems for the cables. So the short answer is, it's a non-issue as far as I'm concerned. My Stumpjumper has no cables along the top tube and neither does the Camber-so that's a plus. The Trek and my KHS do, but it has not damaged them at all. I carried the KHS from central Florida to North Carolina and back a hitch mount like the Thule, and not one issue during or after. Again, as long as you TAKE YOUR TIME mounting your bikes, don't toss them on the rack without care, you will be just fine.

http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-R...FQq0nQod_DgAww
    Shop around. I picked mine up on Amazon for $175.
    Mountain guy trapped in the wetlands of Florida.

I had the hitch cables fray off on my wife's bike on our Swagman, mainly because I wasn't paying attention and the bike clamps down across the frame so I clamped it on the cables. The T2 clamps on the tire so absolutely no issues there. I also had a Yakima 'hang down' rack (can't remember model) and I never could get the bikes on without one rubbing on the other somewhere.
    Charlie...
    Stalking Light

I own that same Thule rack and haven't had issues. As mentioned, you just have to take your time if loading several bikes.

Not all of us have deep pockets!

Thanks again all for the info. We are currently pulling the kids on sleds behind the 4 wheeler all around the 'hood instead of snowbiking. I think Idaho only owns 3 plows (I believe that's ploughs for you Rob L) total so I won't see the asphalt again until March or April around my house. So, unless I pull it together and trek down to St George or some place similar; I will just be staring at these rides for a while. Can't wait though. Am hoping to have found the only form of steady exercise that I don't despise. REALLY hate running so if any of you ever see me doing so I am either taking the 2x/yr Navy physical fitness test or being chased by a bear.

Here's hoping!

I know you need rack for some new bikes, I've been dying to know, what bikes did you get for Christmas?

By the way, long live the hood sled. What a riot!

Sent from my SPH-L900

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    I own that same Thule rack and haven't had issues. As mentioned, you just have to take your time if loading several bikes.

Not all of us have deep pockets!
    I think my biggest problem was the difference in bike sizes, mine is a large 29er and my wife's is a small 26. Just never could get the right position. :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Charlie...
    Stalking Light

Quote Originally Posted by RedSpecialized View Post
    I know you need rack for some new bikes, I've been dying to know, what bikes did you get for Christmas?

By the way, long love the hood sled. What a riot!

Sent from my SPH-L900
    Special Red; These are my bikes. Felt Nine 80

Those look like some fun bikes. My brother got a 29er hard tail with 4 inch fork on the front. All though offing think I would like it. I really think it is a great bike. I think you will really like those rides.

Back to the rack, I think this rack is the best bang for your buck. http://www.bikecarrierdirect.com/hit...Bike-Rack.html

I think the racks that carry the bikes by the frame are good I just think you have more potential for damage. When I have so much invested in the bikes your carrying I want to make sure that I break them while riding and not transporting them. My .02

Sent from my SPH-L900