Thread: Long range scope options

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar

Long range scope options

For my 5.56 AR, I bought a short-range (4x magnification) scope, but would like to get something affordable in the 40x range. I won't ever use this AR for hunting (I have an awesome 30.06 for that), so I'm trying to keep the spend down.

Any thoughts on Barska?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Barska-10-40...item5ae7b0b624
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Doesn't really matter what the power is. The lenses make all the difference an price usually dictates quality. I have a $300 dollar Winchester spotting scope that goes to 60x but you can focus is past 35x and put it side by side with my $2,000 Leica and its like comparing apples and oranges. I have yet to see a low $ optic perform better than ok especially going out to the 40x

Quote Originally Posted by 2065toyota View Post
    Doesn't really matter what the power is. The lenses make all the difference an price usually dictates quality. I have a $300 dollar Winchester spotting scope that goes to 60x but you can focus is past 35x and put it side by side with my $2,000 Leica and its like comparing apples and oranges. I have yet to see a low $ optic perform better than ok especially going out to the 40x
    Well, that didn't help. Clearly, I could spend $1500+ on a scope, but why? I'm not sniping and I'm not going to use it for hunting. I'm just looking for something that I can use to rip paper targets apart with.

40 power is a lot of power. Probably the best bang for the buck will be a weaver or bushnell target scope. I think that BSA scopes are junk, but I would put that ahead of a barska.

Quote Originally Posted by BruteForce View Post
    Well, that didn't help. Clearly, I could spend $1500+ on a scope, but why? I'm not sniping and I'm not going to use it for hunting. I'm just looking for something that I can use to rip paper targets apart with.
    I think what 2065toy was trying to say was that he has a less expensive spotting scope and is only able to utilize a portion of the capabilities and was thinking that it may be the same on a less expensive rifle scope.

I read some reviews on MidwayUSA about Barska Scopes and it seems like some people have good luck with them and some don't. Most people liked the glass and thought it was better than most in that price range, but others said that it was hard to see in anything less than full sun and that they wouldn't hold zero.

Personally I would rather use iron sights before I'd choose anything less that Leupold or Nikon. It just isn't worth the trouble. The last thing you want to worry about is whether the scope is still holding zero or not, especially if you are showing off your skills to your buddies. I bought a very nice Leupold VXI 3-9X on ebay from a pawn shop in MT for about $150 and love it.

Check these out:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEUPOLD-USA-...item2a275d5e70

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-ProSta...item416f554cd1

Leupold's warranty is amazing. A good friend of mine dropped his rifle 2 days before departing to Alaska and jacked his VXIII up really bad. He called Leupold and they told him to send the scope to them and in the mean time, they overnighted a brand new replacement in time for him to mount it and zero it just before he left. Not sure if everyone gets this kind of customer service.

Nikon's warranty is really good, just takes a long time.

Not likely to have to use the warranty though...

Yes. I didn't state it well, sandstone did. If only using for target then don't try to buy a 10-40x scope or you will be disappointed. Open sights or a decent 4x fixed would serve you better. I even took a cheap scope of my 10/22 because it wouldn't stay zeroed

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    I've got several leupold and Zeiss scopes they are nice but spendy.
    For my ar I went with a Vortex Diamondback 4-12
    Vortex has a lifetime, no hassle warranty.
    I wanted to put an American made scope on my ar, but learned even Leupold is buying their glass out of country.
    scope was $200
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    I've got several leupold and Zeiss scopes they are nice but spendy.
    For my ar I went with a Vortex Diamondback 4-12
    Vortex has a lifetime, no hassle warranty.
    I wanted to put an American made scope on my ar, but learned even Leupold is buying their glass out of country.
    scope was $200
    Sportsmans Warehouse has the Vortex 4-12 for $199.. went and looked at it today. Nice optics!

4x12 is a far cry from 40x! the 12x of the vortex will let you nicely punch paper at 300 yds... What is your zero?

not to hijack - but have you tried the iStrelok app. Excellent ballistic calculator with great features, it makes a great way to calc your yardage, windage, etc... with memories for each of your guns and different types of ammo, as well as the scope you are using - you can even look at the retical view and see where in your sight picture you should be lined up. I zero'd my 30-06 to 300 this fall then calc'd the hold over and wind for a center punch at 500 on 1st shot - made me feel pretty awesome for a few minutes! (all with a Leupold 3x9)

Sportsmans Warehouse has the Vortex 4-12 for $199.. went and looked at it today. Nice optics!
    I'm liking mine so far. I used the PEPR quick release mount by Burris.($100ish)

I've been able to remove and replace this scope and maintain zero, a very nice feature.

As I've posted prior, with this settup, and my handloads I'm able to achieve sub moa groups.

Don't skimp on glass and mounts, LaRue are said to be better mounts but run about $200.

I don't know how the PEPR could be any better.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

I just bought the Vortex 4-12 x44 from OpticsPlanet. After trying "hands-on", I liked the Vortex better than the Nikon..

So now, I have a zero'd in short-range scope (4x), and now a slightly longer range scope for (4-12x) 100m+ shots.

Maybe later this year, I'll get a high-end scope for the heavy duty lifting.

Excellent choice Bruteforce. I have heard good things about the vortex scopes. I typically buy from optics planet or the optic zone. I have been looking at the vortex viper for a .17hmr rifle. I was dead set on a leupold for the past few years.

14. Likes BruteForce liked this post
    I just bought the Vortex 4-12 x44 from OpticsPlanet. After trying "hands-on", I liked the Vortex better than the Nikon..

So now, I have a zero'd in short-range scope (4x), and now a slightly longer range scope for (4-12x) 100m+ shots.

Maybe later this year, I'll get a high-end scope for the heavy duty lifting.
    Good choice, I think you'll like it.

What mount?
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    Good choice, I think you'll like it.

What mount?
    None ordered yet. I have an existing set for my current 4x scope that may work (they're 1" rings), otherwise I'll need to get some. I won't see the new scope until ~Jan 3rd or so..