Thread: Two questions :Toroweap and Alstrom Point

Rookie
    WEybridge in leafy Surrey about 30 minutes outside of London

Two questions :Toroweap and Alstrom Point

Hi there,
    I will be staying in the area of Kanab / Page for four and a half days in the last week of March.
    i have permits for North Coyote Buttes and South Coyote Buttes. I plan to do both SCB and White Pocket with a guide.

i was wondering whether taking a full day to travel to Toroweap was worthwhil bearing in mind the limited time we have.

i am also interested if anybody has recently been out to Alstrom Point near Page? I am interested to get a view on the current water levels in the lake and whether the view is still spectacular...

Also plan to spend a morning at lower antelope canyon and possibly do a sunset at Horseshoe Bend clouds permitting. Will also do Rimrock Hoodoos... 9 miles hike to Wahweap Hoodoos out of question!

Would love any comments and thoughts on any must see locations I haven't mentioned.... Yellow Rock...

thanks Des

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Hi,

Me, and my wife and four year old daughter spent a week in the Page area last year. Here are my comments, but I have not been to Toroweap:

1. Yes, Alstrom Point is still really, really awesome. You need a high clearance vehicle to drive all the way to the views, else you will be hiking a bit. We actually camped at Alstrom, and it was my wife's favorite part of our trip.

2. Sounds like you might be a photographer, so I will give my very highest recommendation to Yellow Rock in evening light, truly spectacular.

3. Honestly, I cannot imagine going to the area without hiking through Wire Pass and the upper parts of Buckskin Gulch. It has to be one of the most amazing sites on Earth, don't miss it!

4. There is a lot of confusion regarding access to Wahweap Hoodoos. There is a 9 mile hike from the bottom, or a half mile hike from the top. There are no signs along the road to the head of the canyon specifically prohibiting access, nor are there signs at the "trailhead" prohibiting access from the North. However, folks on here will tell you Northern access is forbidden.

Here is our trip report from March 2012: http://www.pbase.com/pudgy_groundhog/az2012

4. Likes rich67 liked this post

Two questions :Toroweap and Alstrom Point

As for Horseshoe Bend, I actually recommend pictures at sunrise as opposed to sunset. During sunset the sun is in the camera, and it also doesn't cast a nice glow like the sunrise does coming over your shoulder. Some of the best looking pics I took actually were during the afternoon. The sun really lights up the water. Shooting in RAW really made the detail pop in post production even in the afternoon.

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk
    Mountain guy trapped in the wetlands of Florida.

One more thing, we rented a Jeep in Page, AZ to get out to the SCB and White Pocket areas. You may be able to save yourself some significant cash by renting versus hiring a guide. I am not experienced in four wheeling, but I had no problems whatsoever with the drive out to SCB. The jeeps they rent at Canyon County Jeeps are pretty burly, and the owner claims he has never had a client get stuck out at white pocket in his jeeps. The rental worked extremely well for us, and we took it out to Alstrom Point also.

Steve, your pictures and trip report are awesome. We usually slide through the area pretty quick and don't hit some of the spots because our time is so limited. We will definitely be spending a lot more time in Page next time around.

Haven't been to Toroweap, but in late March snow pack might be an issue. Seem to recall a trip report that alluded to that.

Likewise the drive up Cottonwood to the Yellow Rock trailhead could also be iffy, but if the road is clear the hike up to Yellow Rock is relatively short (class 2) and photo and exploration opportunities abound. The Lower Hackberry Canyon trailhead can be also be accessed at the same spot as Yellow Rock. Short stroll up the canyon would be worthwhile.

Near the Paria Outpost is the dirt road up Long Canyon. An interesting ride that will lead after 7 or 8 miles to a trailhead with access to the Middle Buckskin entrance/exit/overlook or for a longer hike, Cobra Arch.

If you're staying in Kanab, I believe you can still drive the sandy road the 4 or 5 miles out to the Indian Canyon pictograph trailhead. About a mile hike from the TH to the site.