Thread: Capitol Reef & Surronding Areas

Capitol Reef & Surronding Areas

Hi,

I am planning a trip for myself and my 5 year old daughter for Spring 2013. I'd like to focus on Capitol Reef and adjacent areas. My top priority will be 3 days in Halls Creek, and a 2 day trip in Upper Muley Twist. After these two hikes, we'll have enough time for one more over nighter, or a couple day trips. What are your recommendations? Here is what I am agonizing between:

1. Fortymile Gulch - beautiful, kid friendly, but a loooooong drive from Capitol Reef
    2. Spooky, Peekaboo, Egypt 3, Zebra - longish drive but not as bad as 40 mile Gulch
    3. Something on Cedar Mesa - might be good for her to see the ruins
    4. Goblin Valley & Little Wildhorse
    5. Cathedral Valley in Capitol Reef - is there any good hiking in the valley?
    6. Little Death Hollow & Wolverine - worried about pushing her another 20 miles after Halls and Muley Twist though

I know I can't go wrong, just wondering what might be fun for the kiddo.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: Capitol Reef & Surronding Areas

I would go Goblin & LWH, especially if you'll be there any other day but Saturday. Great for kids.
    Just where is it I could find bear, beaver, and other critters worth cash money when skint?

I've been thinking hard trying to answer and just can't. I haven't been to all of those but can't see you going wrong. I must say though that you seem to have one hardcore hiking 5 yr old.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertDuke View Post
    I've been thinking hard trying to answer and just can't. I haven't been to all of those but can't see you going wrong. I must say though that you seem to have one hardcore hiking 5 yr old.

No, she isn't hardcore, just a regular 5 yo. You might be surprised by how well the kids hike. She did a 4 night trip last yeas when she was 4 to the bottom of the grand canyon.