Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this the Norm?

We're all here, because we ain't all there.

Is this the Norm?

I know a Dr. of psychology in SLC. We were discussing my oldest daughter who was not able to go to college due to lack of funds a couple of weeks ago.
    He tells me, I can get your daughter a full college grant, never needs to be paid off!
    o.k.--he has my interest but somehow I've never known anything to be free, especially to this extent.
    me-What do we need to do?
    him--it's easy- theres millions of dollars in grant money available for mental health, all I need to do is write up a document stating your daughter has a "minor" mental condition.
    me--turning red from anger--do you do this often?
    him--all the time, 25 to date and many of those I made up an illness.
    me--so you do this for family and friends?
    him--sure, if I don't get these people these grants, someone else will get them......
    me--gotta leave.....

Yep--if he doesn't fraudulently create paperwork and "create" mental illness---someone else will get grant money!!!!!!!

This is not a made up story, it actually happened,is this considered common and o.k.?
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    This is not a made up story, it actually happened,is this considered common and o.k.?
    IMO - Absolutely.

The goal of the program isn't really to give money to the "deserving" it's to give away money. The government does not spend our money responsibly. Pretty much all these type of programs are a joke and it is our duty to bleed them dry, or someone else will. I'll give a personal example:

Years ago when my son was first born I was really struggling to make ends meet. Granted I later found out it was my ex wife with a spending/gambling addiction but that, I guess, is besides the point. I went and got signed up for WIC which is like free food and formula for infants. I figured I would never qualify in a million years, but the lady who signs people up was extremely motivated and put me through a loophole. Turns out when you work 3 jobs like I do (did) they only calculate one job when deciding. So she had me just pick my lowest paying job and put that on the form, boom I was getting free crap left and right. Really helped me out actually. And she said the same thing "If you don't take advantage of this, someone else will, we are determined to meet our spending quotas regardless of need".

You know how many times I walk into a government building these days and they say "Please stay on site until your bill comes to $XX.XX$. Because if they don't spend the money, the next year their budget will be lower.

You know how many doctors prescribe medical MJ for "night blindness" and a "running nose"?

Our society is retarded, our only choice to get ahead is to play by their rules. Oh they are giving free money to people who have a mental illness? Man, I think I have a mental illness too!!!!!! Not a serious one mind you, but definitely serious enough to give me the free money.

In the end, the only thing holding you back is your sense of ego. Don't be proud, just take the free money. And keep in mind he doesn't care that your daughter isn't mentally ill, he just wants to give her an advantage in life. His job is to make her barely qualify for these programs.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

DC--how would you deal with having a mentally ill diagnosis on your record for the rest of your life?

Could you see any possible problems in defending your sanity, or does it matter?

DC--No really judge I'm not screwed up, the guy was just giving me free money......

DC--screems as he's being drug out of court--I'M NOT CRAZYYYYYY
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

5. Likes Deathcricket liked this post
    DC--how would you deal with having a mentally ill diagnosis on your record for the rest of your life?

Could you see any possible problems in defending your sanity, or does it matter?

DC--No really judge I'm not screwed up, the guy was just giving me free money......

Nothing wrong with Mental Illness. and it is good to get it treated.. Care to PM your Doc name I think I need a new diagnosis ;)
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

7. Likes oldno7, DiscGo liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by DOSS View Post
    Nothing wrong with Mental Illness. and it is good to get it treated.. Care to PM your Doc name I think I need a new diagnosis ;)
    Unfortunately, this so called doc, is one of those folks you somehow inherit and are required to talk with once or twice a year, whether you want to or not, usually around holidays..
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

Nope -- This is the Norm:

You see the difference?
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

10. Likes DiscGo liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    Nope -- This is the Norm:

You see the difference?
    Only if he paid for his beer.
    If he received a grant to drink beer, I'm really pissed
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

By the time she graduates he could have cured her...

13. Likes DOSS liked this post

That's an interesting problem. I would be curious where that would pop up on your record..... But it seems like if no crimes were committed and she was not institutionalized.... I dunno tough call man. College is over-rated anyways. I don't have a degree and I turned out ok. Relatively speaking..... Unless she wants to be doctor or a lawyer or a vet, i say screw college.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket View Post
    That's an interesting problem. I would be curious where that would pop up on your record..... But it seems like if no crimes were committed and she was not institutionalized.... I dunno tough call man. College is over-rated anyways. I don't have a degree and I turned out ok. Relatively speaking..... Unless she wants to be doctor or a lawyer or a vet, i say screw college.
    She's 28 and does quite well for herself. The talk was generated when I thought it would be cool AND she would be really good at becoming a helicopter pilot.
    She also liked the idea.
    Schooling that we found was $90,000.

Much better career than Dr./Lawyer/Vet of course imo
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

So who's going to train a mental patient to fly helicopters
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

17. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    The FSA (Free Sh^t Army) is alive and well in America.
    Let's Roll

19. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    Name:  548701_508674872485909_1942709889_n.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  54.2 KB

21. Likes rockgremlin, oldno7 liked this post
    We're all crazy. Some are just able to focus better than others.
    Last edited by Byron; 12-18-2012 at 08:25 PM. Reason: temporarily insane
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

Is this the Norm?

So who's going to train a mental patient to fly helicopters

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    It's the norm, sadly. I heard a radio article about how the FED has a new YouTube marketing campaign to attract more people to government entitlements. The reporter went online, completed the questionnaire and despite being well paid/employed, was eligible for ~36 federal programs! Greece, here we come!
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

The one thing that seemed a concern was the Medical Certificate required for a pilots license. The only thing I could find is if there was medications involved (which there wouldn't be) so it doesn't sound like a problem.
    From the FAA site:
    What action does the FAA take when pilots either disclose they are being treated for depression or request treatment?A pilot will be grounded until all symptoms of the psychiatric condition being treated are improved by the single medication and the pilot is stable for 12 months. The FAA requires:

• A consultation status report (and follow-up reports as required) from a treating psychiatrist attesting to and describing the pilot's diagnosis, length and course of treatment, dosage of the antidepressant medication taken, and any side effects from the antidepressant the applicant takes or has taken in the past.
    • A written statement prepared by the pilot describing his or her history of antidepressant use and mental health status.
    • A report of the results of neurocognitive psychological tests.
    • An evaluation and written report from a Human Intervention and Motivation Study (HIMS)-trained Aviation Medical Examiner (AME) who has reviewed the above items and recommends a special-issuance medical certificate.
    IF YOU WON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!!!

2008 V2K Classic LT
    2004 Toyota Tacoma
    Schwinn Homegrown
    CouchSurfing
    Patriot Guard Riders

I've never brought this up because I didn't connect the dots until after this tragedy in CT.

But for all who would advocate for "using" the system because if you don't someone else will.

Heres something to ponder on that thought process.

What if the ones who would write friends and family gift certificates for free education using the mental health loophole, deny a person in NEED of that same education. Someone who actually HAS a mental illness.

Still o.k.?
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

That's not how free government programs work. Anyone who qualifies gets the free money. The trick is just making people qualify.

28. Likes Eric Holden liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket View Post
    That's not how free government programs work. Anyone who qualifies gets the free money. The trick is just making people qualify.
    +1
    Riverside Mountain Rescue Unit
    http://www.rmru.org/

Personal Website
    http://www.DrunkRedDragon.com/adventures.htm