Thread: Frog Hollow. 12/16/12

Frog Hollow. 12/16/12

My sister in law had flown in from North Carolina on Saturday and wanted me to take her hiking Sunday. With all the snow the last couple of days Zion was a little on the cold side and the road above Silver Reef sucks when its wet. We had been talking about Frog Hollow for a while but had never actually went. It was a good fit for a little bit of a chilly day. The approach and the canyon would be brutal in the summer so I would save it for a cool day.

We put a quick plan together and 7 of us headed out Sunday morning for a little fun. It took us about 1.5 hours to get to the area where we could hike down into the canyon. We immediately hit the first obstacle which could be downclimbed, but our feet were muddy and the penalty points would be about a 15' drop into a 2' deep pool full of rocks. So to be on the safe side we found a good tie off point and rapped down. While looking for good tie off, I stumbled upon a geocache hidden in some boulders. It was an old army box and inside was full of stuff. The log book was dated back to 2004 with the latest entry being January of 2011. We entered our names and date and returned it to it's hiding place.

A fun little downclimb then the big rap. I had researched a bit and the best info I found was 240' on the drop. I had bought a new 300' rope but hadn't used it yet because Eric's 340' rope just seemed to work so good all the time. And he likes to pack it . So I biner block the 300' and toss it over for it's maiden voyage. I hook up and head over the edge and about 15' I feel something weird in my hand, but I know exactly what it is. A knot in my rope and I'm 230' off the ground. Not sure how it got there, but it was. I bought the rope and I stuffed in the rope silo and it hadn't been out since. I have just recently switched from an ATC to an ATS and places like this make me glad I did. I decide that since I'm only 15' down the easiest would just be to go back up, so Eric lowers me another rope to clip in and he top belays me as I climb back up the vertical face. Stuff like that seems to get your heart beating a little faster, but staying calm and prepared makes it not that big of deal

We get the rest of the group down and continue down the canyon. A few small downclimbs down a long open canyon brings us to the next drop. A two stage, both into pools which we really didn't want to get wet. I get volunteered to go first, since it was my idea to come here. I get down and the first isn't deep at all and you can get around the water. The next pool is 30' wide and looks deep. There is another set of anchors there so I hook up another rope to these anchors to take down with me to try and set up a guided rap. I get down close to the water and am able get across the wall and around the pool without getting wet but it takes me a bit to do so. I drag the rope around the pool and notice some anchors in the wall and use to set up the guided rap.

All the rest goes well as we continue down the remainder of the canyon. Definitely not as scenic and Zion sandstone slots, but so much better than sitting at home.

Name:  DSCF5679.jpg
Views: 1109
Size:  124.4 KB

Name:  DSCF5681.jpg
Views: 1064
Size:  98.3 KB

Name:  DSCF5683.jpg
Views: 1003
Size:  118.6 KB

Name:  DSCF5684.jpg
Views: 955
Size:  101.5 KB

Name:  DSCF5686.jpg
Views: 941
Size:  183.5 KB

Name:  DSCF5688.jpg
Views: 921
Size:  169.6 KB

Name:  DSCF5690.jpg
Views: 967
Size:  109.5 KB

Name:  DSCF5691.jpg
Views: 1023
Size:  202.4 KB

Name:  DSCF5697.jpg
Views: 934
Size:  210.7 KB

Name:  DSCF5701.jpg
Views: 1031
Size:  207.4 KB

Name:  DSCF5705.jpg
Views: 981
Size:  182.7 KB

Name:  DSCF5706.jpg
Views: 910
Size:  156.0 KB

Name:  DSCF5709.jpg
Views: 984
Size:  167.0 KB

Name:  DSCF5713.jpg
Views: 906
Size:  143.7 KB

Name:  DSCF5714.jpg
Views: 1009
Size:  171.1 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Looks like FUN!!!
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

Wish the rope would have looked like this the first time down

Name:  ResizedImage951355797210984.jpg
Views: 922
Size:  87.0 KB

I was waiting for this TR when I saw your candition. Sweet stuff man! That big rappel looks like a blast.

Blog Entries

Frog Hollow. 12/16/12

Quote Originally Posted by gingerproblems View Post
    I was waiting for this TR when I saw your candition. Sweet stuff man! That big rappel looks like a blast.
    That's funny - I saw the same thing on candition and was hoping he would post soon. Need to get this off the list

I know it's not a good canyon but one I would like to cross off. Care to share the entrance and exit cords in PM?
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Thanks for the TR

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Sweet. thanks for showing the flag on a snowy Sunday...

Great job on setting up the guided rap. Hopefully I'll get an ATS for Christmas? Looking forward to trying it.

Had a couple people ask about the approach

Name:  Frog Hollow.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  67.5 KB