Thread: Best Canyon Beta Site for Arches/Moab

Best Canyon Beta Site for Arches/Moab

Hey all! Wife and I are rolling out to the Moab area for NYE and are looking to get the best route info. Searching around online always brings me back to the Climb Utah site. Not that the cost is too prohibitive, but I'm just wondering if there are other sites you all know about where I could get route maps, etc. Or is the Circle of Friends really the best alternative?

Thanks!

Joe

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Here is my two cents on the subject of Moab beta as viewed through my rose colored glasses.....

You can dig out many of the Moab canyons from other various sources, but no other single resource has anywhere near the number of routes and canyons as Climb-Utah. Some of the other beta sources have good stuff, others have really poor beta. Nearly every Moab canyoneering route was first publicly betaed on Climb-Utah, most other route descriptions are an imitation of the original Climb-Utah beta. By mixing various sources your beta will never be consistent. By mixing various sources you will spend many hours digging up, comparing and compiling the various beta. As someone coming from NYE do you really have the time to invest in poor beta? What if it is in error? What is your time worth to you?

All the maps, route descriptions and waypoints on Climb-Utah are in the same format. All routes have pictures and many have a video. No other provider of Moab beta has spent as much time in the Moab backcountry as I have.

One other huge advantage Climb-Utah has over any other source of Moab beta... you can always find me on Bogley to answer any questions you might have. Now how was that for a sales pitch?

Shane Burrows
    Climb-Utah.com

Yeah, that's pretty much what I figured. I've been searching online a lot and all roads lead back to Climb-Utah as the most definitive for the Moab area. Plus, you're right... I definitely don't want to waste any time trying to figure out if the info I'm getting is good enough. That piece of mind justifies the expense, imo.

Thanks for the reply! I'm looking forward to spending the rest of the week researching routes.

We did 6 routes in Moab about a week ago. All of the beta we used was from climb-utah, and it served us well.

Overall, about 80% of the beta we use is from climb-utah. It's easily worth the subscription price.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

CLIMB UTAH! The info found there has guided me through all but a few of the technical routes in the Moab area.
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

I am a big fan of cross referencing. Two or 3 beta sources will give you a clear picture of what you are getting into.
    Ryan has an excellent site that lists many Moab canyons. His beta is not a cheap imitation but beta gathered from doing the canyons himself. I find his beta detailed and accurate.
    You can find him here:
    www.ajroadtrips.com

Penny

8. Likes Mountaineer liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by penmartens View Post
    I am a big fan of cross referencing. Two or 3 beta sources will give you a clear picture of what you are getting into.
    Ryan has an excellent site that lists many Moab canyons. His beta is not a cheap imitation but beta gathered from doing the canyons himself. I find his beta detailed and accurate.
    You can find him here:
    www.ajroadtrips.com

Penny
    Ditto, I especially use use multiple beta sources when doing some of the "bigger deal" canyons. and honestly if Find ajroadtrips beta to be presented in a better way than Climb Utah. I like how a lot of the information is presented clear and upfront (especially the GPS coordinates). and I love how you can just download the PDF version to print. I also like how you can just purchase beta for the canyon you are doing in stead of buying the membership. However, With all that said, I still chose to subscribe to Climb Utah because of the volume of information that is on that site!
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

Thanks everyone!

Signed up for both AJRoadTrips and Climb-Utah. I'll be geeking out on both sites 'til my trip since I love reading maps/routes anyway and want to be prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    I love how you can just download the PDF version to print.
    Helpful Hint: You can print any Climb-Utah route as a PDF file with a simple click of the button. Just install a PDF printer on your computer and send the file to the PDF printer instead of your standard hardcopy printer.... easy.... peazy....

There are several free PDF printers available. I use DoPDF which is available on-line for FREE.

DoPDF
    http://www.dopdf.com/

While I agree the direct PDF file is very nice, it also makes updating routes twice the work as you must update both the webpage and the PDF file. Since my time is very limited I prefer to direct it towards adding new routes and updating older routes.

Anyhoo... I hope some of you find the free PDF printer useful.