Page 23 of 52 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Assault Weapons?

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    I hate to say it, but I think most cops and military would follow the confiscation orders gleefully. That sucks.
    I disagree... it may be niave, but I believe that our police officers and the military were both sworn to protect the citizens and the uphold the constitution. I don't believe they were sworn to follow the president's wishes. In fact the constitution outlines the means through the president should be removed from office for not following the constitution...

SLC's police chief refused to follow the state law regarding immigration, feeling it was not in the best interest of the public he is sworn to serve. The state backed down... Surely there are plenty of good men like these out there who will set the example and tone for those lacking backbone.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: Assault Weapons?

Things could get real interesting.... the pro gun congressmen are starting to line up.... and they appear to have the numbers...

Sent using Tapatalk

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Heres a Utah response:

"Thank you for contacting me regarding your Second Amendment rights. This is a crucial issue and I appreciate the time you took to express your thoughts.

Recent and saddening acts of violence, such as those in Newtown and Aurora, have brought guns to national attention. These acts of violence, as terrible as they are, should not be used as justification to revoke rights outlined in the United States Constitution.

Senator Dianne Feinstein has pledged to introduce an extensive ban on semiautomatic weapons. I am strongly opposed to such a bill. I am convinced that gun control measures will do nothing to prevent tragedies like that at Newtown, and will likely only make it harder for law-abiding citizens to protect themselves.

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=tahoma]In June 2010, the Supreme Court ruled 5-4 in McDonald v. Chicago that the right to
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

5. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    Heres a Utah response:
    Just curious where the response came from? I wrote all three of my congressmen last week and have not recieved a response to date.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Just curious where the response came from? I wrote all three of my congressmen last week and have not recieved a response to date.
    This response was to another Utah gun owner, not me.

To date I've sent out dozens of e-mails and continue to do so.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

Interesting article, not sure how much fact there is but gives a bit of an idea of at least a fews perception of what that Obama administration is planning. http://news.yahoo.com/obama-weighing...-politics.html

WASHINGTON (AP) — Facing powerful opposition to sweeping gun regulations, President Barack Obama is weighing 19 steps he could take through executive action alone, congressional officials said. But the scope of such measures is limited.The steps could include ordering stricter action against people who lie on gun sale background checks, seeking to ensure more complete records in the federal background check database, striking limits on federal research into gun use, ordering tougher penalties against gun trafficking, and giving schools flexibility to use grant money to improve safety.
    Obama will unveil his proposals Wednesday, barely over a month since the massacre of 20 children and six adults at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., thrust the gun issue into the national spotlight after years of inaction by Obama and lawmakers.
    The White House said Obama and Vice President Joe Biden will be joined at Wednesday's announcement by children who wrote the president letters after the Newtown shooting. Supportive lawmakers and advocacy groups are also expected to attend.
    Obama is vowing not to back off his support for sweeping gun legislation that would require congressional backing — including banning assault weapons, limiting the capacity of ammunition magazines and instituting universal background checks — despite opposition from the influential gun lobby.
    "Will all of them get through this Congress? I don't know," Obama said at a news conference Monday.
    "My starting point is not to worry about the politics," he said. "My starting point is to focus on what makes sense, what works."
    The president said he would unveil a comprehensive roadmap for curbing gun violence within days. His plan will be based on recommendations from Biden's gun task force and is expected to include both legislative proposals and steps Obama can implement by himself, using his presidential powers.
    White House officials believe moving swiftly on gun proposals at a national level, before the shock over the Newtown shooting fades, gives Obama the best chance to get his proposals through Congress.
    Officials said Obama and Biden met Monday afternoon to discuss the vice president's recommendations. Ahead of that meeting, Biden huddled with a dozen House Democrats who have formed their own gun violence task force and whose political muscle will be needed to push legislation through Congress.
    Biden told those lawmakers that he and his staff had identified 19 steps Obama could take without help from Congress, according to Jenny Werwa, communications director to Rep. Jackie Speier, D-Calif., one of those present. Biden didn't indicate which of those Obama would adopt.
    Rep. Bobby Scott, D-Va., another lawmaker at the meeting, said one example is working to ensure better state reporting of mental health and other records that go into the federal background check database. But Scott said there are clear limits to what Obama can do without Congress' say-so.
    "It wasn't anything remarkable, it was just administering present law better," Scott said. "You can't change the law through executive order."
    Among other steps, advocacy groups have been pushing Obama to order the Justice Department to crack down on those who lie on background checks; only a tiny number are now prosecuted. Such a step has support from the National Rifle Association, which has consistently argued that existing laws must be enforced before new ones are considered.
    Obama also could take steps ordering federal agencies to make more data on gun crimes available and conduct more research on the issue, something Republican congressional majorities have limited through language in budget bills, advocates said.
    The president's proposals are also expected to include steps for improving school safety and mental health care, as well as recommendations for addressing violence in entertainment and video games.
    "You'll have a combination of gun safety, mental health and general prevention," Scott said.
    Another Democratic lawmaker who met with Biden on Monday said the vice president was likely to have given Obama proposals for allowing schools flexibility in spending federal grant money so they could take steps toward safety, including hiring school resource officers, instituting mental health intervention or making repairs like putting locks on doors. Grants could also go to communities to institute programs to get guns away from people who shouldn't have them, said the lawmaker, adding these were steps the president could take without Congress.
    The lawmaker spoke on condition of anonymity because the proposals hadn't been announced publicly.
    But the most sweeping and contentious elements — including an assault weapons ban — will require approval from Congress. The NRA has vowed to fight any measure that would limit access to guns and ammunition, a hardline position that could sway some Republicans and conservative Democrats.
    The assault weapons ban, which Obama has long supported, is expected to face the toughest road on Capitol Hill. Congress passed a 10-year ban on the high-grade, military-style weapons in 1994, but supporters didn't have the votes to renew it once it expired.
    Obama will also need congressional help to limit high-capacity ammunition magazines, like the ones used by the Newtown shooter, and to require background checks for anyone seeking to purchase a gun. The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence said some 40 percent of gun sales happen with no background checks, such as at gun shows and by private sellers over the Internet or through classified ads.
    Parents of the slain Connecticut children added their voices to the national dialogue Monday. Members of the newly formed group Sandy Hook Promise called for an open-minded discussion about a range of issues, including guns. And lawmakers in New York state pressed ahead with what would be the nation's first gun control measure approved since the school shootings.
    ___
    AP White House Correspondent Julie Pace contributed to this report.
    So, Kid, you think you got what it takes to be a Punch King?

I don't think we have a lot to worry about with our Utah congressmen. They all know it would be political suicide to vote with the gun-control crowd, but it's still good to remind them of the fact in an email or letter.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    I don't think we have a lot to worry about with our Utah congressmen. They all know it would be political suicide to vote with the gun-control crowd, but it's still good to remind them of the fact in an email or letter.

Matheson is a concern!!
    Keep e-mailing, they can't hear too much from constituents.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

Matheson is a concern!!
    Nah, not our Jim. NRA gave him more money than any other member in Congress from Utah.

SALT LAKE CITY — Members of Utah's congressional delegation are taking a wait-and-see attitude to President Barack Obama's call for new gun control policies.
    Spurred by the tragic elementary school shooting in Connecticut, the president vowed Wednesday to send Congress measures for reducing gun violence by January. Obama put Vice President Joe Biden in charge of an interagency task force to create concrete proposals and pledged to push them through without delay.
    Obama also supports reinstatement of a ban on assault weapons, a policy Utahns in Congress oppose.
    "I hope they are successful in coming up with solutions to the challenges we face, rather than using it to pursue an anti-gun agenda or to further limit the rights of law-abiding citizens," Sen. Mike Lee said.
    Obama said he knows it is a complex issue with deeply held passions and political divides.
    "I will use all the power of this office to help advance efforts aimed at preventing more tragedies like this," he said. "It won't be easy, but that can't be an excuse not to try."
    A little more than half — 51 percent — of the members of the new Congress that convenes next month have received funds from the National Rifle Association's political action committee at some point in their political careers, according to the Sunlight Foundation.
    And 47 percent received money from the NRA in the most recent race in which they ran, including Republican Sens. Orrin Hatch ($5,000) and Lee ($2,500), Democratic Rep. Jim Matheson ($6,950) and GOP Rep. Jason Chaffetz ($1,500).
    Matheson was the sixth highest recipient in the House and tops among Democrats in 2012. Rep. Rob Bishop and Congressman-elect Chris Stewart, both Republicans, did not receive NRA donations in 2012.
    "The numbers give insight into the depth and breadth of support that the nation's most powerful gun lobby commands," according to the Sunlight Foundation, a nonpartisan organization based in Washington, D.C., that promotes government transparency.
    "They also highlight the primary obstacle to quick action on gun control in response to last week’s massacre in Newton, Conn. — deep and long-lasting allegiances to the National Rifle Association," according to the foundation.
    Matheson said the Biden-led panel should cast a wide net for ideas, and solutions must be deliberate and comprehensive.
    "This is a highly emotional set of circumstances for all of us. Somehow, we also have to take a step above that and really be thoughtful about what could be an effective set of policies," he said.
    Obama said the country needs to "look more closely at a culture that all too often glorifies guns and violence. And any actions we take must begin inside the home and inside our hearts."
    Matheson said he might reintroduce a bill that enforces the age rating on video games at the point of sale.
    "We don't allow people to buy cigarettes until they're a certain age. There are plenty of rules in place were ID is checked for age. That's just one of many ideas. That's not going to solve it on its own," he said.
    As for a ban on assault weapons, Matheson said it didn't reduce gun violence in the country while it was in place. But if it's an issue people want to raise, it ought to be on the table for discussion.
    The president said the proposals would not be just about weapons.
    "We need to work on making sure access to mental health care is at least as easy as access to a gun," Obama said.
    Rep. Jason Chaffetz said earlier this week that the mental health aspect needs to be dealt with.
    "I think we absolutely should talk about the intersection of a lethal weapon and (how) it relates to mental health," he said on ABC's "This Week." "Absolutely we've got to have that discussion in this country."
    On Wednesday, Chaffetz said he's looking forward to what the task force comes up with.
    "It will be interesting to see what the recommendations are," he said.
    A spokesman for Sen. Orrin Hatch said the senator shares the desire to try and prevent future tragedies.
    "As for the specifics of the task force announced by the president (Wednesday), it will depend on what recommendations are sent to Congress," Matthew Harakal said.
    Hatch has not supported a ban on assault weapons in the past, he said.

12. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    Thanks, Brian

All the more reason to keep writing.imho
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

Heres a passage out of the new--New York gun ban.

So, I see now, in New York, The State can tell you what personal property you can keep.

And if they deem you can't keep it, they can require you to sell it,OUT of STATE.

I foresee sooo much court action in the next couple of years that it will bog down the system.

Or--we can just accept tyranny and move on........

As the non qualified attorney, I am not. I would think the Supreme courts DC vs. Heller would factor in large in the New York City Legislation.

Something along the lines of--small arms in "common" use.

"Ammunition magazines would be restricted to seven bullets, from the current 10, and current owners of higher-capacity magazines would have a year to sell them out of state. An owner caught at home with eight or more bullets in a magazine could face a misdemeanor charge."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...#ixzz2I5JB9ngH
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

Heres a passage out of the new--New York gun ban.
    I don't think it's going to fly.... the city of Chicago already tried to go a similar route and lost.

In McDonald v. Chicago, 561 U.S. 3025 (2010), the Supreme Court ruled that the Second Amendment limits state and local governments to the same extent that it limits the federal government.

McDonald v. Chicago, 561 US 3025 (2010), is a landmark decision of the Supreme Court of the United States that determined whether the Second Amendment applies to the individual states. The Court held that the right of an individual to "keep and bear arms" protected by the Second Amendment is incorporated by the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment and applies to the states. The decision cleared up the uncertainty left in the wake of District of Columbia v. Heller as to the scope of gun rights in regard to the states.

Quote Originally Posted by double moo View Post
    I disagree... it may be niave, but I believe that our police officers and the military were both sworn to protect the citizens and the uphold the constitution. I don't believe they were sworn to follow the president's wishes. In fact the constitution outlines the means through the president should be removed from office for not following the constitution...

SLC's police chief refused to follow the state law regarding immigration, feeling it was not in the best interest of the public he is sworn to serve. The state backed down... Surely there are plenty of good men like these out there who will set the example and tone for those lacking backbone.
    Did you watch the Katrina video Oldno posted up? I'd likely think along the same lines as you, but after watching that I'm really not so sure.

In regards to the Prez being removed from office, remember that it would have to be an act of Congress...fat chance of that with Reid calling the shots in the Senate. Obama can act with virtual impunity, and he knows it.

Personally, I'll just cross my fingers and hope a natural disaster doesn't occur anywhere in my vicinity...because it appears they won't allow you to ride it out at home with a weapon to defend your property, at the very least. And that was when Bushiepoo was the man.

That video only confirms what I've always suspected...they'll be able to find plenty of cops or Nation Guard ready and willing to play "army man" Being able to throw their weight around with the normal rules and regs on pause is just too much fun.
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

Once again--Well thought out and accurate!!
    Something that is COMPLETELY lacking on the liberals side.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/01/1...s-gun-control/

Quote Originally Posted by James_B_Wads2000 View Post
    Hey--His name is James, too

He is a mere drop in the bucket.

Suffice it to say--he may be more reasoned than most.

You should read some of the Veteran's sites.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

Assault Weapons?

I'm carrying

Very good interview.

I still can't get over this interview. I gives me tremendous vindication and satisfaction about being on the correct side of this whole debate, but also frustrates the hell out of me because it shows us what we're up against.

That guy got BLASTED off his own show. A shellacking of the highest order! Hahaha! LMAO! I've never seen a guest destroy a host so bad on their own show. Not for while anyway. He said he didn't think he'd shoot anyone but I'll bet he was fuming with rage after the show. I would have loved to see him in his dressing room, throwing shit and cursing, punching holes in walls and breaking his hand... Haha!

Deleted..
    Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the Grave in a well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, ...Holy Shit... What A Ride!

[URL potential new gun laws. Cole said it took him a month to craft the response. The letter outlines his contention that the Second Amendment on the right to bear arms is “fundamental to our individual freedoms and that firearms are part of life in our country.”

“We have been inundated,” Cole said of questions about gun laws since the Newtown, Conn., massacre in December.

Pine County Commissioner Doug Carlson said he wasn’t surprised to hear about Cole’s stand, calling the sheriff “opinionated.”

“Here’s a sheriff riding cowboy saying he’s going to do what he’s going to do,” Carlson said.

“Is he going to put us on a county level in a liable position?” Carlson asked, about local law enforcement versus the federal government. “If he can do that, where does that put us as a county board?”

But Commissioner Mitch Pangerl said he agrees with the sheriff.

“We’re still the state of Minnesota,” he said. He said that if the state legislative process comes up with a new law, it should be followed. But he’s wary of crossing the Second Amendment, even though he knows he doesn’t have much say as a County Board member.

“I will protect those rights,” Pangerl said.

A ban on assault weapons would be the biggest change for Minnesotans. Right now, a purchase permit is required for handguns and assault weapons. Those permit applications can go through a retailer or a local police office for background checks. In most of Pine County, the only place to go to is the sheriff’s office.

Cole said Tuesday he’s simply providing reassurance to his constituents.

“They’re afraid,” Cole said. “When they’re afraid, you can’t reason with that.”

Cole wrote that states’ rights should supersede any attempts by an individual or the federal government to curb gun rights. The letter states that he will not accept any legislation from the federal government or any one individual, hinting at the notion that President Obama could approve some gun law changes by executive order.

“We enforce state law,” Cole said.

In the letter, Cole states: “I believe current state law is sufficient to protect public safety.”

He goes on to write: “I do not believe the federal government or any individual in the federal government has the right to dictate to the states, counties or municipalities any mandate, regulation or administrative rule that violates the United States Constitution or its various amendments.”

The Minnesota Sheriff’s Association doesn’t have an opinion on new gun legislation, its executive director, Jim Franklin, said. He hadn’t seen Cole’s letter and said he couldn’t comment.

Cole isn’t alone among sheriffs across the nation. In recent days, sheriffs in Oregon, Georgia, Arizona and Kentucky have taken similar stances.

Cole said he wrote the letter for his constituents and it’s his opinion alone.

“I don’t care what other sheriffs agree with,” he said.
    Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the Grave in a well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, ...Holy Shit... What A Ride!

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/eve...cle/id/255814/
    Here's the link to the above story.

Quote Originally Posted by jfeiro View Post
    http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/eve...cle/id/255814/
    Here's the link to the above story.
    Thanks--There are many sheriffs, saying the same thing.

I received a letter from my State Senator, his comment was " I am very confident that there are enough of us in the Utah legislature that will be willing to protect our gun rights"

Theres a reason the liberals are trying to fast track this, every minute that passes, our side is gaining momentum and buying more guns.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?