Page 9 of 52 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Assault Weapons?

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattandersao View Post

An armed volunteer?
    Nice troll.....
    Guess my characterization has merit.
    Any intelligent conversation?
    Or do you need to turn around and get back to your students?
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks... comparison of Australia and Switzerland interesting...still on mass killings it looks like what Australia did has worked to stop them correct?
    Can't find the gov. statistic, maybe in your spare time teaching, you can provide one.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

Sorry, I didnt mean classroom I meant a police officer in every school but the question remains how will this be paid for salary+benefits adds up. I would guess that many states do not currently have a resource officer in their school.
    The NRA's suggestion was "Security Personal" in every school, not necessarily a uniformed police officer. Mention was made to train and arm security personal similar to those at a rock concerts or sporting event.

Anyhoo… my first thought was "great idea" but how do we pay for it? My second thought was allow teachers who wanted to become trained security officers handle the job. Those teachers who become certified get a small bump in pay. Sounds simple enough to me.

I really believe the threat of encountering armed and trained security will go a long ways in eliminating these copy-cat school shootings.

5. Likes bowjunkie liked this post
    I think my point was valid. I have seen concealed permit carriers acting similar to this idiot. I would rather not have guns in the school compared to people like this guy.

I have to give my district test to my classes today thus the time I have had to post (nice fallacy though!). PS Students are kickin a$$ on the test I would say average score has to be in the 80-90 %! Bring on performance based pay!

Iceaxe- You win! As mentioned earlier though I would want some real life situation training available for those carrying, not just read this article, sign this paper and go to the shooting range a handful of times. They need real scenario training based on past school shootings.

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    allow teachers who wanted to become trained security officers handle the job. Those teachers who become certified get a small bump in pay. Sounds simple enough to me. I really believe the threat of encountering armed and trained security will go a long ways in eliminating these copy-cat school shootings.
    Nope. I wouldn't support this. There are just as many nut-job teachers as not. Having run a physical security team (armed), I was paying (Utah wages) on average $14/hour for a person that was required to weapons qualify every 90 days. Most were former military or police officers working a 2nd job.

Or, just follow what Utah's been doing for years: Place a local police officer in every school. We do this already, with the exception of elementary school.
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

8. Likes mattandersao liked this post
    I think my point was valid. I have seen concealed permit carriers acting similar to this idiot. I would rather not have guns in the school compared to people like this guy.

I have to give my district test to my classes today thus the time I have had to post (nice fallacy though!). PS Students are kickin a$$ on the test I would say average score has to be in the 80-90 %! Bring on performance based pay!

So while you have some spare time, could you run over to the Purgatory shooting range and see if you can find me some .223 brass?
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

10. Likes mattandersao liked this post
    That would add millions and millions of dollars in salary+ benefits (I think this is the best idea but I dont want to hear ya'll whining about paying for it with taxes!) at a time most states are cutting back.
    Let's talk about the cost of putting some kind of guard in place. You are thinking this now must mean one additional employee to be hired in the school (once we've established not every classroom).

For some it is. If they've got that funding in their budget, great.

Some currently pay a portion to an existing Sheriff Dept officer for their precinct to service the school, thus a trustworthy certified trained officer, who does NOT just sit on a stool all day but they are doing their office work that could be done at the Sheriff's office. This is paid for, in some ways, a teacher can add a student to their classrooms, or a partial student in simple terms. This is somewhat how my position is paid for as a school computer tech.

Some could have an existing designated teacher(s) with a CCP go through the correct training for a bonus in pay.

And some of course would have the freedom to say we won't have guns in schools because that approach is keeping everybody safe.

The concept is freedom to choose. I don't think the Federal Government, nor the Federal Department of Education (nearly useless Dept anyways) should mandate any rules, but they should allow the schools to practice protecting their children in the ways they know best. It's about freedom to choose.

And when schools will say all they need is a bigger "Gun Free Zone" sign, and make some kind of name badge rule for the building (who could bypass this fortress of security?), and the parents think this is ridiculous, I believe the parents and community should have the right with the board of directors to change that rule.

And if parents don't want an armed guard in the school, they should have the right to change that as well. Hopefully it wouldn't take a tragedy to change their minds though about the bigger and brighter "Gun Free Zones".

Now, getting the payment and choice out of the way, here's what I find interesting. That some would complain about the added cost (if any) of having some sort of armed security in the building, while not a peep would occur from other Federal programs like free school lunch, AND free school breakfast DAILY. Neither would they complain about additional costs that school sports may rack up. Do you know how much is spent on sports? I'm not talking about jerseys and pads, I'm talking about gymnasiums, stadiums, track and field, swimming pools.... for a portion of the students that will actually use them.

And one of the major obstacles of adding a security measure for our kids is the cost?

Those very same people screaming to spend money "for the children" are somehow choosing to object this sole security measure.

12. Likes mattandersao liked this post

An armed volunteer?
    I gotta tell ya Matt, you need to drop a few lbs. but your tan is looking good.

p.s.--don't point them things at ya, bro. Bad things could happen--yo..

I'm done here for a bit, I gotta go find some of dem assault bullets
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

14. Likes Eric Holden, mattandersao liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by BruteForce View Post
    Nope. I wouldn't support this. There are just as many nut-job teachers as not. Having run a physical security team (armed), I was paying (Utah wages) on average $14/hour for a person that was required to weapons qualify every 90 days. Most were former military or police officers working a 2nd job.

Or, just follow what Utah's been doing for years: Place a local police officer in every school. We do this already, with the exception of elementary school.
    Thank you!!! Thats what I was trying to say I dont trust many of my peers! Which raises the question how do we pay for a full time PROFESSIONAL (whether it be a police officer or a well trained employee of yours). When the state has a hard time paying to keep up with growth in the school systems I dont see how they will add many new police officers without gnashing of teeth and such from the Utah taxpayer. Fortunately for Utah as has been mentioned most middle schools (where I work) and high schools have a resource officer paid 1/2 by the school system, and 1/2 by police departments.

For the record... I'm also not in favor of just arming anyone to protect our schools. I assumed we were using the NRA's standard of "trained", whatever that turns out to be in the end.... and I don't believe a hunters safety card and a CCP is going to make the grade.

17. Likes mattandersao liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    For the record... I'm also not in favor of just arming anyone to protect our schools. I assumed we were using the NRA's standard of "trained", whatever that turns out to be in the end.... and I don't believe a hunters safety card and a CCP is going to make the grade.

EXACTLY^^^^
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

Just wanted to chime in and say that I am thoroughly enjoying the conversation and have learned a great deal.

20. Likes mattandersao liked this post
    The NRA comes through with a plan!

Name:  jEvUsYLxznXD7.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  86.7 KB

22. Likes mattandersao liked this post
    Okay, finally back. I've stayed away from this discussion on purpose, having a kindergarten aged child has made this I tough on me. Why? Because I'm completely convinced no matter what I, or anybody else says will ever change any persons opinion. This country suffers an addiction to pride, and not the good kind. I'm a firm believer of the second amendment. I own many firearms, some are considered assault weapons. ever since the shooting at Columbine, I have believed that schools should have totally overhauled their security policies. I think America did not want to admit, that our culture is has become such, to warrant this. people often contest what a teacher or guard can do against someone like these crazed gunman. But it doesn't take a lot of common sense, to see that these people target places where they will have no or limited opposition, I don't know about you, but if these people think they can't commit their act of infamy successfully, it seems the mass majority of them won't try it in the first place. mentally ill or not these gunman still are smart enough to target gun free zones. and those gun free zones created by our own culture, have become an invitation for infamy. there is so much more at the route of this problem, the lack of and the culturally vilifying of discipline, the vilifying of God, and much more can share the blame in this and other incidents. there are so many who champion humankind to evolving to something greater than relying on a higher power, but not too long ago the belief in that higher power and more so fear of that higher power, contributed to the prevention of these type of incidences. after 911 so many quickly and blindly supported the Patriot Act, and now the same is happening with the second Amendment, in so much that they are willing to take the most powerful tool that gave this nation its freedom and simply rape it. George Washington believed that this nation's civilian population, should have the right to arm itself with comparable weapons to it's own military. it is my believe that the second Amendment is the last vestige of power Americans have that give them the power over government, taking it away or raping it is an insult to those fought using that same power to give us our freedom. it is my God given right to defend myself, no matter how lawful or unlawful that statement is or becomes, that is what I will always believe, and how I will conduct myself. As for assault weapons, of fraction of 1 percent are ever used criminally, but alcohol on the other hand has a much higher margin of abuse, and murder. But because it is so widely used, and economically important you won't see banning it, even fractionally as much as you would with a gun discussion. I apologize for the punctuation I did this from my phone.
    Last edited by MY T PIMP; 12-21-2012 at 05:45 PM. Reason: limitation

24. Likes Byron liked this post
    Welcome to the discussion.
    Keep a close eye on your shoulder thing that goes up--they want these banned......

I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

You can have my shoulder thing that goes up when they remove it from my cold, hairy shoulder!!!

Thing kinda hurts anyway
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

27. Likes Byron liked this post
    Hey guys...I know this is serious business, but I've been laughing my ass off and really enjoying the conversation. This site is awesome, I love it.

MTP, nice to see you chime in too.
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

Oh well....in the event of the zombie apocalypse, these sissy freaks will be the first on the dinner table. Then we wouldn't have to put up with them any longer.
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

I wonder if codepink and other gun control advocates are so ignorant that they think when and if gun control measures are passed, gun owners will quietly and peacefully abide. The military has in itself a large population of NRA membership. And I have to give it to Clinton, the man successfully passed gun control measures, but he also was able to maintain a decent level of partisanship, unlike Obama who has polarized and devided this country to the likes it hasn't known since the civil war. The fiscal cliff is a perfect example, as conservatives offer concessions, he has yet to bring any of his own. if these anti gun groups want to continue down this road of ignorance, they'll be sorely surprised of where it leads. But maybe they only care really care about the blood shed of the ones that believe the way they do, perhaps a dead to them the only good conservative is a dead one, and the quicker the better and decrease the surplus population. Then again if they kill all of us who will pay for their free health care?
    I said it before, and I'll say it again, this nation is going to see it's second Browns Ferry, we're way to devided. It would be terribly ironic if those who sought to make this country safer through their own ignorance, ended up with the complete opposite effect. We are not as stupid as the media has brainwashed you to believe, we know the killing them softly tactic, and it will not work in America as it did in Canada and Australia.
    Do I really believe all this could happen, I hope and pray not, but I have seen some concerning things as of late, pro second amendment and civilian malitia folks are closing their Facebook accounts to get off the grid. And on tip of that I have an uneasy feeling that doesn't seam to go away. That same feeling has always been fooled by negative events of some sort. I've always had an uncanny intuition about things, and for once hope that I am wrong.