Page 39 of 52 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Thread: Assault Weapons?

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Would also consider a Springfield TRP Operator
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: Assault Weapons?

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    He can't...because in Toms world, everything the government proclaims and legislates is righteous, providing of course, that liberals are calling the shots. He's probably one of those guys who would gleefully volunteer to work at the government processing center where they melt down confiscated guns and turn them into electric cars.
    Tom hates physical violence and confrontation's and will avoid it at all cost. So the one thing you can be sure of, when the Feds try to take our guns he will be at the very back of the pack cheering those doing the actual fighting.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    Due to some sort of panic buying--still going on, I had a guy offer me a bit over 2 1/2 times what I paid for my AR(SOLD)
    Was it this guy????
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: Assault Weapons?

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Was it this guy????
    Obviously Tom has no clue about the law and firearms outside of the misinformation from those wanting to nullify the bill of rights.

It would be illegal for olno7 to sell an AR to that guy without going through an FFL as the guy has a California driver license.

Ya see Tom, it's real simple... just enforce the laws already on the books.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

No tom, as a rule, I don't sell guns to liberals.

They've proven they are incapable of making important decisions and often have bad judgement.

I prefer responsible citizens and Utah residents when dealing with firearms.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

7. Likes JP liked this post

9. Likes MY T PIMP liked this post

Okay, stayed away from this section because I tend to get a little fired up, and have the fear of being defined of some way out there radical. But then again, I thought,"Why would people define me as a radical." Not because I am, but perhaps it's what society, and media has defined" Just like the definition Assault Rifle; last time I checked what society has deemed assault rifles, when fractionally calculated with numbers owned has had very little to do with assault. How many zeros would I have to put after a decimal before actually adding in another number to show how many of these weapons have been used in an assault. (mind you that does not count for military purposes, but then again these so called assault rifles are simply semi autos.) Here is my common sense feelings about the whole thing;
    1. It is my god given right to be able to protect myself, family, and property, and there for have the right to have comparable weapons and magazine capacities to do so.
    2. The 2nd amendment is the last vestige of power that the American people have to show they are ultimately in control over the government. George Washington believed we civilians should have the right to own and bare weapons comparable to its own government's for this exact reason. (That being said we are already at a distinct disadvantage given, nuclear weapons, tanks, jets, bombers, fully automatic weapons, etc..) Which is why it is more important than ever to at least keep what we now have available to us.
    3. In the event of an international attempt to occupy and invade this country, we citizens have the right to have weapons at our disposal to help defend the nation. It is by no means a fact that that in it's self has been and is a significant factor of why the USA has gone so long with out a ground invasion from abroad.
    4. Recreational and Hunting purposes.

With all of the proposed gun legislation out there, why is there a lack of focus on gun free zones. 9 out of 10 mass and attempted shootings happen at these places. Honestly, we would see immediate results, if gun free zones were required to protect patrons who abide by their gun free policies. The stupidest thing I ever see is a sign on the door of a business, or property declaring it a Gun Free Zone, you might as well call it an invitation to kill. I have no problem with gun free zone properties as long as they have a metal detector at every entrance and an armed guard.

I do not care what the rest of the world thinks of our policies, and I would be lying if I said "I don't think there are outside influences in this matter." Call it conspiracy if you want, but it feels like something is trying to break this nation, bring it down to a what other entities call a level playing field globally. They don't like that capitalism has advanced us so far ahead (now I know some may argue that, but the fact of the matter is, once Americans are turned loose to their dream, their opportunity and reward of accomplishing it is greater than anywhere else in the world). Think about this; imagine you were a french citizen just turned loose to pursue your dream, but your reward for success is very well the possibility of being taxed 75% for your success. I may not have voted for Obama, but being part of the middle class, I was promised better, and in fact are now seeing far worse than I ever expected. As a responsible worker who has always paid for health insurance, I now pay triple the copay, my coverage is not even close to as good as it used to be, and my premiums have sky rocketed, I am now paying more taxes, next year because of Obamacare I won't be able to use a health saving account, my fuel prices have skyrocketed, and now my firearms along with 99.9% of gun owners which we haven't abused in anyway are under threat. So can you Obaminians tell me just what good things I'm supposed to see from this guy?!!!
    "You Sombitch's couldn't close an umbrella"
    Sheriff Beuford T Justice

12. Likes oldno7, Iceaxe liked this post
    "The Gun Is Civilization"
    by Maj. L. Caudill USMC (Ret)

Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force.

If you want me to do something for you, you have a choice of either convincing me via argument, or force me to do your bidding under threat of force.

Every human interaction falls into one of those two categories, without exception. Reason or force, that's it.

In a truly moral and civilized society, people exclusively interact through persuasion. Force has no place as a valid method of social interaction, and the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some.

When I carry a gun, you cannot deal with me by force. You have to use reason and try to persuade me, because I have a way to negate your threat or employment of force.

The gun is the only personal weapon that puts a 100-pound woman on equal footing with a 220-pound mugger, a 75-year old retiree on equal footing with a 19-year old gang banger, and a single guy on equal footing with a carload of drunk guys with baseball bats. The gun removes the disparity in physical strength, size, or numbers between a potential attacker and a defender.

There are plenty of people who consider the gun as the source of bad force equations.
    These are the people who think that we'd be more civilized if all guns were removed from society, because a firearm makes it easier for a armed mugger to do his job. That, of course, is only true if the mugger's potential victims are mostly disarmed either by choice or by legislative fiat--it has no validity when most of a mugger's potential marks are armed.

People who argue for the banning of arms ask for automatic rule by the young, the strong, and the many, and that's the exact opposite of a civilized society. A mugger, even an armed one, can only make a successful living in a society where the state has granted him a force monopoly.

Then there's the argument that the gun makes confrontations lethal that otherwise would only result in injury. This argument is fallacious in several ways. Without guns involved, confrontations are won by the physically superior party inflicting overwhelming injury on the loser.

People who think that fists, bats, sticks, or stones don't constitute lethal force watch too much TV, where people take beatings and come out of it with a bloody lip at worst. The fact that the gun makes lethal force easier works solely in favor of the weaker defender, not the stronger attacker. If both are armed, the field is level.

The gun is the only weapon that's as lethal in the hands of an octogenarian as it is in the hands of a weight lifter. It simply wouldn't work as well as a force equalizer if it wasn't both lethal and easily employable.

When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force.

It removes force from the equation... and that's why carrying a gun is a civilized act.

By Maj. L. Caudill USMC (Ret.)

Where Criminals Get Their Guns – Or, Why Universal Background Checks Won’t Stop Crime
    February 11 2013

According to an article put out today by TheDailyCaller.com, a study originally done by the Justice Department in 1997 and revised in 2002 found that less than 9% of guns in crimes were obtained through a licensed dealer.

Almost 80% were stolen or borrowed from family members, bought illegally on the street from other criminals or obtained in some other illegal way.

Only 8.3% bought their guns from licensed dealers and another 3.8% bought their guns from a pawn shop.

It can be presumed that those who can pass a background check will buy their guns legally, those who cannot will continue to get them illegally with no regard for what current gun laws are on the books.

Further evidence that universal background checks are just another tax and infringement on the rights of law abiding citizens who purchase their firearms legally.

Full article here:
    http://dailycaller.com/2013/02/11/wh...et-their-guns/

Quote Originally Posted by MY T PIMP View Post
    I may not have voted for Obama, but being part of the middle class, I was promised better, and in fact are now seeing far worse than I ever expected. As a responsible worker who has always paid for health insurance, I now pay triple the copay, my coverage is not even close to as good as it used to be, and my premiums have sky rocketed, I am now paying more taxes, next year because of Obamacare I won't be able to use a health saving account, my fuel prices have skyrocketed, and now my firearms along with 99.9% of gun owners which we haven't abused in anyway are under threat. So can you Obaminians tell me just what good things I'm supposed to see from this guy?!!!
    Couple of things, off topic a bit but:

Gas prices: http://gasbuddy.com/gb_retail_price_chart.aspx

http://www.utahgasprices.com/retail_price_chart.aspx

Couldn't believe how cheap gas got a short couple weeks ago. Then it popped back up. Still not as high as the recent highs in the last few years, though. Interesting to look at the cycle of it. Up up up, crash, up up up, crash. Crazy stuff.

Health care: curious, because I don't know, but, didn't the limit for HSA's increase? Biggest change was that over the counter drugs without a presciption aren't payable out of an HSA? What exactly did "Obamacare" have to do with not being able to use an HSA? I thought the trend was more HSA's?

Yeah, the insurance deal is terrible but I can't see blaming Obamacare on heath care costs. Free market maybe and declining health, some folks living longer, obesity an epidemic, etc. Kids covered until 25 on their parents insurance. Pre-existing conditions covered. More important than ever to stay healthy. But, I can't see blaming the president for how poor the health care and the health of an average person in the U.S. is.

The tax complaints are interesting. Neither party was going to renew the break we got under Bush. So, that expired.

What good? Cabinet posts lookin' good. REI chick for Dept of Interior? Good stuff. Still gettin' out of Afghanistan. My pension from a former company seems more protected than ever. I like his recent executive orders on gifts and saleries. Bail out money recovered. Jobs and economy seem to be improving or at least holding steady. Heck, I'd actually consider buying an American made car now (and, a Ford rental in Europe last summer was great, the auto industry is makin' a come back).

Arab spring thing has been a tough row to hoe. Will continue to be "interesting" over there. Freedom ain't free I'm guessin'. And, sometimes the vocal minority is a pain in the arse. Instability will continue for a while. Wild times for sure. Time will tell whether or not Obama's policy shift in the region will be good in the short and/or long term.

I think he's doing ok. With regard to the gun thing he didn't just come out and mandate a plan. Had his folks study it. Seems like half the country flew back to DC to meet with he or Biden. And, its been good dialog with the folks who have. Even considering some of the NRA positions. Seems balanced and intelligent. His executive orders around guns have seemed reasonable. He'll dump a plan on congress and they'll fail spectacularly, of course, 'cause no one wants any of that on 'em for the next election cycle but at least he tried (ha ha).

My glass is well more than half full. But, I'm an optomistic person. I don't notice the increase in taxes 'cause my salery is up. Folks at work are leaving for other jobs which indicates to me that there's opportunity out there now, where there wasn't a year or two ago. We hire a number of folks every week. Also a good indicator.

When the stock market crashes again, will we blame Obama? Overbloated and over valued it seems. Won't last.

Anyhoo, sorry for the ramble...back to "Obama's gonna take our guns!"

Oh---Look....another unicorn is pooping a rainbow, koombaya(liberal/progressive view)
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

Conservative view--f ing obamacare, no one to date has even read the entire thing.

gun control--yep, we shoot pretty good

shall not be infringed

and heres what zero wants to see.......(bend over baby)

you gots lots more money you owe on this debt and we need your money to fund the eternal welfare,foodstamp, extended WC,zerocare, etc.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

Since I'm on a gambling roll I just placed a bet on how many times Obama says "gun" in tonights speach.

Cars don't kill people... baby unicorn's with a penchant for alcohol do.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Since I'm on a gambling roll I just placed a bet on how many times Obama says "gun" in tonights speach.

I think I blew this one.... I had 23.

Name:  gambling.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  27.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post

If 9 out of 10 people support it as the video states then getting the law passed should be no problemo.

Or the video could be complete horse shit and the law will not pass.

Time will tell....

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?