Page 24 of 52 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: Assault Weapons?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Things are about to get real...

...scary.

There is so much emotion tied to this issue that it could invoke a real shit-storm. Who knows....another Newton? Dare I mention that A - word that JFK was well acquainted with?
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    Things are about to get real...

...scary.

There is so much emotion tied to this issue that it could invoke a real shit-storm. Who knows....another Newton? Dare I mention that A - word that JFK was well acquainted with?
    The Secret Service is knocking on your door now...........
    Riverside Mountain Rescue Unit
    http://www.rmru.org/

Personal Website
    http://www.DrunkRedDragon.com/adventures.htm

Biden seemed to be having a hard time keeping a straight face...

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Holden View Post
    The Secret Service is knocking on your door now...........

I was referring to Apache helicopters......haven't you seen JFK?

What were you referring to?
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    I know no one will be surprised here, but I truly like the new NRA add, along with the FACT it has pissed zero off!

All the while he's dancing on the graves of dead children to fast track an agenda.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

8. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    NRA RESPONSE TO OBAMA GUN CONTROL PROPOSALS

01/16/2013
    Throughout its history, the National Rifle Association has led efforts to promote safety and responsible gun ownership. Keeping our children and society safe remains our top priority.

The NRA will continue to focus on keeping our children safe and securing our schools, fixing our broken mental health system, and prosecuting violent criminals to the fullest extent of the law. We look forward to working with Congress on a bi-partisan basis to find real solutions to protecting America's most valuable asset - our children.

Attacking firearms and ignoring children is not a solution to the crisis we face as a nation. Only honest, law-abiding gun owners will be affected and our children will remain vulnerable to the inevitability of more tragedy.

Ruger just made it simple to write your representatives. It takes only a couple of minutes. Here is the link:

http://www.ruger.com/micros/advocacy/takeAction.html

11. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Thought y'all might enjoy this - about the origin of the 2nd Amendment.

http://truth-out.org/news/item/13890...eserve-slavery

The Second Amendment was Ratified to Preserve Slavery

Tuesday, 15 January 2013 09:35By Thom Hartmann, Truthout | News Analysis

The real reason the Second Amendment was ratified, and why it says "State" instead of "Country" (the Framers knew the difference - see the 10th Amendment), was to preserve the slave patrol militias in the southern states, which was necessary to get Virginia's vote. Founders Patrick Henry, George Mason, and James Madison were totally clear on that . . . and we all should be too.

In the beginning, there were the militias. In the South, they were also called the "slave patrols," and they were regulated by the states.
    In Georgia, for example, a generation before the American Revolution, laws were passed in 1755 and 1757 that required all plantation owners or their male white employees to be members of the Georgia Militia, and for those armed militia members to make monthly inspections of the quarters of all slaves in the state. The law defined which counties had which armed militias and even required armed militia members to keep a keen eye out for slaves who may be planning uprisings.

more... follow link above.

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    about the origin of the 2nd Amendment.
    I disagree with Hartmann's interpretation... but that is of little significance.... The reasons and origins of the Second Amendment are not the issue....

The second Amendment says we have a right to firearms as indivduals. The Supreme Court has defined that right..... everything else is secondary...

Our President, Congress and Military have all sworn an oath to protect and uphold the Constitition. Attempting to undermine the Constitution is treasonous. As an American citizen you should defend the Constitition.

If you don't agree with the Constitution then change it. The Constition has a provision so it can be modified as the citizen's see fit.

Thought y'all might enjoy this - about the origin of the 2nd Amendment.

http://truth-out.org/news/item/13890...eserve-slavery

The Second Amendment was Ratified to Preserve Slavery

Tuesday, 15 January 2013 09:35By Thom Hartmann, Truthout | News Analysis

The real reason the Second Amendment was ratified, and why it says "State" instead of "Country" (the Framers knew the difference - see the 10th Amendment), was to preserve the slave patrol militias in the southern states, which was necessary to get Virginia's vote. Founders Patrick Henry, George Mason, and James Madison were totally clear on that . . . and we all should be too.

In the beginning, there were the militias. In the South, they were also called the "slave patrols," and they were regulated by the states.
    In Georgia, for example, a generation before the American Revolution, laws were passed in 1755 and 1757 that required all plantation owners or their male white employees to be members of the Georgia Militia, and for those armed militia members to make monthly inspections of the quarters of all slaves in the state. The law defined which counties had which armed militias and even required armed militia members to keep a keen eye out for slaves who may be planning uprisings.

more... follow link above.
    So by your flawed logic, and it is flawed,
    Your claiming slave patrol militias were the American side of Lexington and Concord

thom hartman is a propagandist. How convenient he just came up with this "theory" YESTERDAY!!! See--the date 1-15-13--PROPAGANDA

And yes--I know you can point me to wikipedia and prove there was such a beast as slave patrols, you CANNOT link them with minutemen militias in any way.

Yes--there was more than one group of people that claimed the militia monikor, not much different today.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

Sorry if this is a repost...

Name:  408735_310527995725574_1560389919_n.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  57.7 KB

Assault Weapons?

There is no right in the Constitution that is absolute, all of them have limits. You can't yell fire for fun in a crowded theater and call it freedom of speech. Convicted felons can't vote. You can't commit crimes under the protection of your religion. Prisoners can be put into forced labor.

And guess what? Congress can regulate guns. It can't flat out ban all of them, but it most certainly can enact laws restricting them. No conditional provision needed.

James

Quote Originally Posted by James_B_Wads2000 View Post
    And guess what? Congress can regulate guns. It can't flat out ban all of them, but it most certainly can enact laws restricting them. No conditional provision needed.

James
    O.K.--could you point me to that passage in the constitution, I'm thinking I just overlooked it somewhere in the complicated wording of the second Amendment.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

I think I was pre mature, sorry James

Congress can legislate guns as well as the President.

It's just that neither can do it lawfully and in accordance with the Bill of Rights.

It has a tendency to lead to challenges in the Supreme court, such as McDonald and Heller
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Sorry if this is a repost...
    Don't know if it is a repost, but it IS a BOGUS Quote. The actual quote is:

A free people ought not only to be armed but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well digested plan is requisite: And their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories, as tend to render them independent on others, for essential, particularly for military supplies.
    ---George Washington's First Annual Message to Congress (January 8, 1790)

http://www.guncite.com/gc2ndbog.html

(which is very much a pro-gun site)

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    I think I was pre mature, sorry James

Congress can legislate guns as well as the President.

It's just that neither can do it lawfully and in accordance with the Bill of Rights.

It has a tendency to lead to challenges in the Supreme court, such as McDonald and Heller
    Even with a disagreement on the meaning of the second amendment (which the SCOTUS has had very few cases about); Congress with the president can pass laws that are unconstitutional. It is not ILLEGAL for them to do so. Depending on the law and who cares about it, it takes a while to wind its way through the courts to a challenge before the Supremes, and they can strike it down and use the opportunity to clarify what is and is not allowable under the Supreme Court's current interpretation of the Constitution.

This is what happened in Heller.

So... there is a process. Please don't pick up your Bushmaster's and start shooting people, YET!

It is currently very unclear as to where the 2nd Amendment limits are. Governments are allowed to manage guns to some extent. What we know is that restrictions like Heller are not allowed. (Heller was pretty extreme, even for a lib like me). We do not know whether Mr. Cuomo's proposed laws in New York will pass muster with the Supremes; or more accurately, which parts will pass muster. Very unpredictable, based on 2nd Amendment prior jurisprudence. And could change with one heart attack.

Jus' sayin'...

Re: Assault Weapons?

Quote Originally Posted by James_B_Wads2000 View Post

James
    Guess what, it already does! People just want more without admitting a hoard of regulations already exist.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Even with a disagreement on the meaning of the second amendment (which the SCOTUS has had very few cases about); Congress with the president can pass laws that are unconstitutional. It is not ILLEGAL for them to do so. Depending on the law and who cares about it, it takes a while to wind its way through the courts to a challenge before the Supremes, and they can strike it down and use the opportunity to clarify what is and is not allowable under the Supreme Court's current interpretation of the Constitution.

This is what happened in Heller.

So... there is a process. Please don't pick up your Bushmaster's and start shooting people, YET!

It is currently very unclear as to where the 2nd Amendment limits are. Governments are allowed to manage guns to some extent. What we know is that restrictions like Heller are not allowed. (Heller was pretty extreme, even for a lib like me). We do not know whether Mr. Cuomo's proposed laws in New York will pass muster with the Supremes; or more accurately, which parts will pass muster. Very unpredictable, based on 2nd Amendment prior jurisprudence. And could change with one heart attack.

Jus' sayin'...

Since you have quoted(unintentionally) most of my prior made points on SCOTUS, thanks, glad your following along.

You made a slight though, but I'm sure unintentional on your behalf. I never mentioned congress or the president passing unconstitutional law as "ILLEGAL", as you suggest in bold print. I stated it was unlawful. BIG difference!!

So tell me tom, Why do you, as the owner of imlay canyon gear, fear lawful gun owners?

Have you been attacked in Mt. Carmel by armed madmen? Have you been accosted by armed groups passing through the Zion tunnel?

Seriously, why do YOU fear an individuals right to own a gun?
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

Bushmaster??? I heard those things are dangerous, I would never consider.

Besides--doncha know, guns don't kill people, static ropes do!!!!
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?