Thread: Tech question for Gigantor's Cousin

Tech question for Gigantor's Cousin

I was reading on several other thread's about this big burley canyoneer named Gigantor. I have never met this Giagantor, but I am fairly familiar with his cousin the Green Giant. He weighs 250, 6'5" usually is the pack mule for his group so full weight around 275-280. Right now he uses an Edelweiss 9.6 "Static" Rope. He would like to shed some pack weight, but is worried about using a rope in the 8 - 8.3mm range. What are the experts opinions on his fears of using a smaller rope in the canyons. Hopefully the great will offer his advice!

Green Giant would be very thankful.

2. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    There is a discussion here: http://imlaycanyongear.com/ropes2.php about factors to consider when choosing a style of rope.

There's basically two problems for Green Giant size canyoneers:

A. getting enough friction: most rappel devices are designed to produce a certain amount of friction with a given rope - given a small-diameter rope (or apparent-small-diameter like the Sterling C-IV) you Giant friend might be able to get enough friction single line with an ATS, high friction side, but probably with a leg loop biner or Z-rig addition on anything but short rappels.

B. chafing over an edge: somewhere near the top, the rope usually crosses and edge. The greater weight increases the cutting power across that edge, so a small-diameter rope will get beat up pretty fast.

Thus, I recommend, if you or your buddies are over 200 lbs, an 8mm or 8.3 Canyon Fire is likely not the best choice for a work-a-day rope. Move up to the 9.2 Canyonero (or a similar sized rope), or, if the exaggeration is minimal in the anecdote, then perhaps the Sterling Canyon Tech would be the better choice.

Good news is, if the GG is big and strong, and extra pound of rope prolly won't bother him much.

Tom

I am 6'2" and was 300lbs, now down to 260lbs. With my standard pack I would push 340lbs!

I have experience with the skinny 8mm stuff and single stranded is not very cool. I have to use both extra hooks on the pirana and its still not quite enough friction. I use the 9.somthing rope all the time and it works great single or double stranded with standard friction.

I have never been worried about the rope breaking/cutting on the 8mm stuff, but I personally would not buy it for myself.
    Riverside Mountain Rescue Unit
    http://www.rmru.org/

Personal Website
    http://www.DrunkRedDragon.com/adventures.htm

I just bought a new 300' 9mm ICG canyoneer rope. We weighed it and a 8mm canyon fire and there was only about 2 pounds difference. It fit easily in my silo. I would have to assume the 8mm would take up less space which becomes an issue sometimes

I personally only own 9mm ropes but have no issues with the 8mm ones. Add 1 more friction setting to whatever the 9mm setting is as general rule I've come up with

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Another alternative is for the Giant to always rap double-strand. But there are down-sides to this as well.

Tom

Thanks for the info everybody I...I mean the Giant appreciates it.

Double strand used to be the way to go, but now on longer raps it doesn't work out so well.