Thread: Best Kayaking route in Lake Powell?

Best Kayaking route in Lake Powell?

Hey All, Looking to plan a kayaking trip in Lake Powell this next year and would love some advise. Where are the must see places? where should I put in? Etc. I'm looking for maybe a 3-6 day trip.
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

bump! Still wondering about this. Any good ideas out there?
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

How familiar are you with Lake Powell and when were you planning on going?

Um below the dam?
    If you want to ride let's ride and if you want an attitude well we just need to do some more ridding.
    Life is good and life is fare.

Without a powerboat to shuttle around its tough because of the long distances and potentially high winds. Often there is no place to hide from big wind and waves, not to mention drunks in jet boats.

Can you give us a better idea of what you have in mind?

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    If I were to kayak at Powell, it would only be from November to March.

The rest of the months are somewhat kayak unfriendly due to high boat traffic.

I believe you could have almost complete solitude in the time frame I listed.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

@Kuya , I totally agree with oldno7.

Besides the massive swells and wakes (especially from boats the size of @oldno7 's ) to contend with during the warmer months, most of the best attractions are super busy as well.

Although if you have to go during the summer, you might check out Hite Marina. It looks like it is mostly shut down right now which would make me think that there is not much boat traffic. The problem with Hite is there doesn't seem to be many sandy beaches, but probably some nice ones in the ends of the canyons. One very nice thing about Hite is all the firewood available.

Not sure if anyone is launching on the San Juan Arm, but if you can access the lake (Paiute Farms, Clay Hills) you'd most likely have it all to yourself.

Thanks guys! what sections of the lake are "best" to kayak? im looking for lots of narrow slots, and such. I have limited experience boating on the lake. I have only ever been on the lake twice. So I am looking for the best-bang-for-your-buck. What route could a venture troop take in order to see the most with the least amount of paddling?
    My YouTube Channel

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    If you have ground support, it might be good to put in the "river" at Hite and paddle down to Blue notch for a takeout, although, there are no easily accessible slots there.

You are incredibly limited on places to launch. And most great slots are a far piece from launch areas.

There are hundreds of technical slots on Powell, a huge number of those require a lot of skillsets. If you drop into an unknown, you might be there for a long time.(plan carefully)

With my above mentioned idea, you could check out 2 mile and 4 mile on the way to Blue Notch.. I've been in the area but haven't been to the lake in either and am uncertain if possible.
    I believe Scott P. knows the 2&4 mile areas.

I've been told the lake level right now is halfway between Farleys and Hite.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

Here's something I was thinking about trying soon, it might work for you. Launch at Farley Canyon, paddle across the reservoir and hit up all the canyons around Trachyte. It's about a 5-mile paddle, less than a mile of which is across the open channel, but for the rest you can keep close to the shoreline. It looks like one could spend days and days in the Trachyte complex, exploring all the side-canyons. I'll probably be doing this in June sometime.

Name:  Fullscreen capture 5132013 110548 PM.jpg
Views: 5117
Size:  80.4 KB
    Blog | FB

For a basic trip I have been planning, I want to just do a 2-3 nighter. Looking at leaving from Antelope Marina ramp. I ordered a book about camping along Lake Powell, so I am thinking I can hunt for some nice beach spots to camp on within a three day striking distance from Antelope. There are options on leaving from spots further uplake, but I figured an initial shorter trip would give me a good gauge on how the lake behaves throughout the day.
    Mountain guy trapped in the wetlands of Florida.

Wow, there are just so many options. What do you think of putting in at Bullfrog and paddling over to Halls Creek? From there we could explore, maybe even work our way into Lost Eden Canyon.
    My YouTube Channel