Thread: Wilder Lake - Uinta's July 2012

Wilder Lake - Uinta's July 2012

[COLOR=black][FONT=Trebuchet MS]On the weekend of July 6th a few friends and I decided to go backpacking in the Uinta's. Our plan was to hike into Naturalist Basin. We left Salt Lake about 1:30 on Friday and got to the Highline Trailhead around 3:30. On our way up the Mirror Lake Highway it was very overcast with a few sprinkles. When we got to the trailhead we had just missed a storm that rolled through dumping heavy rain and hail. It must have been one hell of a downpour as there were little streams running down the trail and small piles of hail 2" deep scattered about. Before we went on our way we registered at the trailhead and noticed that there were a lot of people headed to or already in Naturalist Basin so we scrapped our original plan and decided to head towards Packard Lake.

One of the meadows on the way in.
    Name:  IMG_0726.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  66.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_0727.jpg
Views: 582
Size:  73.6 KB
    [COLOR=black][FONT=Trebuchet MS]The first part of the Highline trail for those that don
    Attached Images Attached Images           

2. Likes Deadeye008 liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

WOW! Excellent photos! Very vibrant colors. With the rain and clouds, it makes for great pictures. I need to get my backpacking gear out more next year.

Welcome to bogley too.

5. Likes Yellowstone 1 liked this post
    Love it! I need to see more of the Uinta Mountains!
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

7. Likes Yellowstone 1 liked this post
    Nice little trip. I went there a year ago on a day hike. Managed to go around the Naturalist basin and back out again. Made for a 13 mile day hike, but that whole Wilder and Naturalist basin route is very beautiful.

http://trekkertrips.com/

9. Likes Yellowstone 1 liked this post
    Beautiful. Love the Uintas. My absolute favorite place to hike. Just wish they would thaw out a little earlier so we could enjoy them longer! Thanks for the great report.

11. Likes Yellowstone 1 liked this post
    This is a nice place to stay. Short hike, great scenery, great camp spot and fantastic fishing! The only down fall would be if there were more people staying at the lake. @nhopkin

I also wish they would thaw quicker @Dice. I love the Uintas, especially when you can have a small fire.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post

Welcome to bogley too.
    Thanks!