Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Elephant Butte

Quote Originally Posted by COJoe View Post
    Wife and I are heading to Moab for NYE this year and are planning on doing this hike. Have you had much snow so far this season? I'm assuming you're dry like we are in Colorado.
    It's pretty dry out there, at least last week it was.

Check out www.candition.com over the next couple of weeks, I bet there will be a few Moab updates posted there.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Clearly, the language is confusing. While using a cordelette to rig an anchor is common in climbing, the cordelette is then removed by the climber at the end, when moving on. Whereas, in this instance the discussion is about what material is left behind when establishing or using rappel anchors
    Last anchor in Heaps? Been a cordellete for quite some time. Useful for rigging from multiple anchors to a single "power point" I suppose. Seems cleaner for some applications than webbing (easier to inspect?).

I'm not seeing much in the way of testing over edges of cord versus webbing. Hmmm...maybe this:

http://www.jrre.org/moy_qual.pdf

Interesting. "Abrasion along the rope" test:

Looking at the data, the one thing that stands out as blindingly obvious is that webbing is awful! For a round rope, only afew fibers at a time are exposed to the rock edge, and the rope wears a few fibers at a time. For webbing, almost all the
    fibers are abraded on every cycle, and it fails very quickly.

The abrasion
    across the edge test is, in my opinion, one of the best for evaluating ropes. The test was quite consistent -see the small error bars on the chart, and this is the type of failure that worries me the most on actual rescue operations.Where abrasion along the rope should be seen at the next rope inspection, abrasion across the rope can produceimmediate catastrophic failure - even at low loads like body weight. This test again clearly demonstrated that webbing is
    awful in abrasion.

Conclusions
    For the most part, readers can draw their own conclusions from the test data, or better yet, repeat these or other tests ontheir own equipment. For our group, we found nothing that scares us away from either of the brands of rope wecurrently have in service. The primary difference we will focus on in our training is the difference in elasticity. The testresults for webbing make very clear what we have known for a long time. For rock anchors, if there is any possibilitythat an anchor could shift when it is loaded, webbing should not be used. If it is used on rock, edges should be well
    padded.

Some of the ropes used were down to 3/8" diameter. Interesting. Wonder how 7mm cord would fair against 1" webbing? My bet, based on the testing referenced, it'd do fairly well.

Hmmm....

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    Last anchor in Heaps? Been a cordellete for quite some time. Useful for rigging from multiple anchors to a single "power point" I suppose. Seems cleaner for some applications than webbing (easier to inspect?).
    Yeah, except, is not "Accessory Cord", it is Joe Wrona's burly static rope, at least 9mm, maybe 10mm. And it does not really cross edges... kind of a special case.

Other stuff quite interesting... will study it this evening.

Tom

Is the Wrona cord still the same anchor for Heaps? Yikes!

BD rigged up a abrasion test for quickdraws awhile back. Be interesting to see how 9/16 BW webbing, 1" webbing, and 7mm accessory cord all stacked up. Hmmm.

I wonder, from a visual wear standpoint, if, a cord might be easier to see damage on? Cut half way through versus the wear on a flat piece of webbing? Dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    It's pretty dry out there, at least last week it was.

Check out www.candition.com over the next couple of weeks, I bet there will be a few Moab updates posted there.
    Thanks for the link! As much as this region needs the moisture, I'm hoping things stay dry out there through the holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by COJoe View Post
    Thanks for the link! As much as this region needs the moisture, I'm hoping things stay dry out there through the holidays.
    Definition of MOISTURE: liquid diffused or condensed in relatively small quantity

Definition of PRECIPITATION3 : water or the amount of water that falls to the earth as hail, mist, rain, sleet, or snow

The region needs precipitation not moisture ;)
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey