Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Utah BDR

Utah BDR

Has anyone ridden the Backcountry Discovery Route? I'm going to spend next summer in SE Utah (volunteer at Hovenweep) and would like to at least ride the part between Mexican Hat and Moab while I'm there on my F800GS.

I'm sure I'll find plenty of other places to ride as well without having to drive the tree days from GA just to get there.
    Charlie...
    Stalking Light

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Utah BDR

I haven't ridden it, but would love to get in touch for a ride if possible when you are here.

This one looks full of possibilities.
    http://www.backcountrydiscoveryroutes.com/UTBDR
    If you want to ride let's ride and if you want an attitude well we just need to do some more ridding.
    Life is good and life is fare.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnseeker1 View Post
    This one looks full of possibilities.
    http://www.backcountrydiscoveryroutes.com/UTBDR
    That's the one I was talking about.
    Charlie...
    Stalking Light

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    I haven't ridden it, but would love to get in touch for a ride if possible when you are here.
    That would be cool. I'm just getting back into riding after a 40 year absence so I've got a lot of practicing to do before I try anything really gnarly but plan to get in as much riding as I can this winter.
    Charlie...
    Stalking Light

@cchoc When or rather what are your dates while in Utah? Work schedule? etc.?
    I would love to get to know that country better with a 2-3 day tent camping/exploring trip here and there.
    I tend to do the speed limit on tarmac but the rest could be very fun.
    I'm only about 2 hrs away by way of the crow but 4 or 5 by any ground route.
    If you want to ride let's ride and if you want an attitude well we just need to do some more ridding.

I plan on being there from Memorial Day through Labor Day, but I will probably get there a little before and may stay a while after. The normal work schedule is a 5 day week followed by a 4 day week alternating, so I will have a 3 day weekend every 2 weeks. Tent camping/exploring trips are what I have in mind. My bike has the stock Anakee 2's on now but I will be putting some more agressive tires on for the summer, thinking TKC80's, K60's or maybe even Michelin Desert's.

I have an AT Chaser trailer with a RTT that I normally use for camping but I'm leaving the trailer home for the summer and will be bringing motorcycle camping gear along. It would be great to meet up for some exploring, and I'm a speed limit guy on tarmac myself.
    Charlie...
    Stalking Light

Cool I say the speed thing as I ride a 500 that I'm getting street legal as I write.
    My packing will be limited to say the least.
    It's a KTM 500 xc-w with not much of a subframe.
    But I'll make do just fine once I get the packing figured out to my style.
    It will either be a Giant Loop set up or home made saddle bags Dirt Baggs Style.

I've got BMW aluminum side panniers so my challenge will be to not pack too much stuff I won't use. I'm also thinking about a Rotopax setup for my rack so I can carry spare fuel and/or water. It will be handy having someone to help me pick the bike up when I tip it over.
    Charlie...
    Stalking Light

Right now I'm only running a 2.51 tank and my math is real bad cause it shows me getting the same as my XR650R and I know that can't be right with fuel injection to boot.
    Maybe it's those nice flowing washes at high WOT that are messing me up my math.
    Either way it looks like about 75 miles to the tank for me so I will need to do some homework

Acca runs the same type panniers I believe but on a nice shiny new 1200 or 1250 GS so I'm not to worried unless he isn't with us. LMAO
    And if I have not sold my BRP I do have a 6.3 super tanker that will fuel just about everybody safely. Just need to put it back on I guess but.
    But she is not street tagged as of yet and I should have her sold as soon as I drop the price to with in reason.

Should be fun. You can download GPS waypoints for the Utah BDR from the website, BTW.
    Charlie...
    Stalking Light

Got them and now need to organize them.

It would be really cool if you could hang out till the leaves change in the fall.
    That's when the high country is just/ Well you have to see it for yourself.

Utah BDR

I'm thinking about that. I've been there when the aspens change in the La Sals but not when the cottonwoods change around Zion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Charlie...
    Stalking Light

Utah BDR

You can do a route close to this and stay in motels every night. Need to have a big enough tank or haul 2 liters in a back pack to go about 125 to 150 a day.
    Blanding to Moab moab to price price to strawberry then Heber or to duschene (sp) then Evanston then bear lake. The vast majority on dirt. Or go the other way. Blanding to hite then onto hanksville that would be a long day then to capital reef then skyline to home dropping down to towns along the way.

Utah BDR

I have done a lot of canyoneering using a Moto for shuttle etc. if your pack is big enough it sits on the seat when on your back and it is pretty easy to ride with a bigger pack that touches the seat.

I like the tent idea but a campground with showers is always a plus.
    Do they come with laundry facilities yet?
    You know besides the dreaded waffle stomp.

I will have to go light and tight but I have a sleeping bag that will fit my fanny pack.
    Them down feather ones always scare me about keeping them dry.
    But it sounds like moab mark has done some of this ride before.
    Is that correct?

Utah BDR

Parts if you go over to thumper talk there is a thread from some guys on 300's did a bunch of it. Good write up. The benefit of motels is also FOOD.

Food can be a very good thing. I like camping out too, though. I suppose you guys get all the night sky you need but living near Atlanta I'm a bit deprived.
    Charlie...
    Stalking Light