Thread: Canyoneering Gift for Christmas

Canyoneering Gift for Christmas

What has been the best ever canyoneering themed Christmas gift you have received, and, what would you recommend for a beginning canyoneer as a Christmas gift.

This new canyoneer has a harness and descender, but nothing else. Any suggestions?
    Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: Canyoneering Gift for Christmas

5.10 Canyoneers was the best I received!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

A couple of new carabiners never hurt anybody!

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Helmet, obviously.

Wetsuit.

Bo and Tanya's book (for symmetry, and also it is good for psyche-up value).

Gift Certificates available.

Tom

9. Likes tanya liked this post
    Depends on your budget, but these have been my go to gift items:

Gotta have the right pack: http://www.store.canyoneeringusa.com...71&id=10914072

Got a ponytail? http://www.store.canyoneeringusa.com...95&id=11988941

You always need a drybag: http://www.store.canyoneeringusa.com...57&id=11988971

An often overlooked item is a headlamp: http://www.store.canyoneeringusa.com...17&id=10914044

Of course, I would like anything associated with canyoneering!

Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

How about the obvious? A ROPE!

Quote Originally Posted by peakbaggers View Post
    How about the obvious? A ROPE!
    +1

Tom's Canyonero is a great newb rope. Not too fast, nice and durable, at a reasonable price point.

Or if slightly more experienced, the Sterling C-IV is my personal favorite. Can also be had for a good price at NWbackpack.com

Just bought my father in law a new imlay rope silo for Christmas. We sank a rope in Imlay canyon this summer. Never found it. He has always insisted on going cheap and making his own rope bags... Well, the homemade ones don't float, and this isn't the first time we've had trouble with that.

I've always carried my own ropes in imlay silos, and I love them.

I think he'll like it.
    --
    Matthew

"If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously reexamine your life."

For me, pretty much *anything* would be great :-)

I agree with the others; helmet, rope, shoes, carabiners are essential... Some ascending gear would be good too (once you've got the others covered). Prussic, Tibloc, Traxion would be awesome for someone who only has descending gear.

A quality pack would be a great gift. We've destroyed 7 backpacks so far this year. We should have started out with Imlay packs and skipped the REI and Black Diamond packs because it would have saved us money in the long run. I'm loving my Heaps and Kolob packs, my wife is loving her Leprechaun pack. Heck, I hope someone gives me a Spry pack, just so I can try it out.

Bob
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    A quality pack would be a great gift. We've destroyed 7 backpacks so far this year. We should have started out with Imlay packs and skipped the REI and Black Diamond packs because it would have saved us money in the long run. I'm loving my Heaps and Kolob packs, my wife is loving her Leprechaun pack. Heck, I hope someone gives me a Spry pack, just so I can try it out.

Bob
    Dang, Bob! You must really get after it :D

I've been rough-housing with a Burton snowboard pack that I got for $20 new (w/ tags!) at a used sporting goods store three+ years ago. I ski 40 days a season with it, canyoneer ~15 canyons a year with it, hike countless hours in it; it's been to Vietnam and back twice as well as countless road trips where it gets used as a suitcase. I don't know how its lasted this long but I love it!

#1 - What many have said - Helmet

#2 - What Slot Machine said - Pack

#3 - What yetigonecrazy said - Additional Caribiners (or back up descent device)

#4 - What skiclimb3287 said - Canyoneering Shoes

Skip the rope, books, or anything else that would be considered group gear - This person is obviously not going alone or leading canyons

Waterproof camera
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

1. Helmet
    2. More carabiners
    3. Dry bag
    4. The right pack(I am using the Teton canyon pack with a few extra grommets added)
    5. 5.10 cayoneer shoes
    6. Rope (just so you are able to practice in a safe spot and not wear out your friends rope)

My two cents....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by Dakine View Post
    4. The right pack(I am using the Teton canyon pack with a few extra grommets added)
    How you liking the Teton pack?

For the price it is good. I added a few extra grommets. I like the fact that it has a zipper compartment inside to section it off and it has a zipper on the bottom to access the main cavity. I do have concern about the zippers,so much can go wrong with them, but I am careful and have not had any problems. Over all I would recommend it and it is well constructed.

22. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Helment
    Subscription to climb-utah.com
    5.10 Canyoneers
    Rope
    Carabiners
    Webbing
    Slings
    (An experienced canyoneering friend to take them and teach them )