Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Concealed Firearms Permit

Can somebody confirm or negate this. Thanks.

I know Nevada concealed is more difficult to get and they don't recognize Utah's. Arizona is fairly easy to get one and you can take the classes for it here it Utah, and Nevada recognizes it...............

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2065toyota View Post

I know Nevada concealed is more difficult to get and they don't recognize Utah's. Arizona is fairly easy to get one and you can take the classes for it here it Utah, and Nevada recognizes it...............
    Can you go visit Rowdies(sp) I think they advertised something in regards to UT and AZ CC
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

Rowdy's Range in St. George does do the AZ ones. Just curious mainly on the Nevada recognition. I probably could have looked it up myself faster than typing this in

So here it goes. Typical government who knows what.....

Utah recognizes Arizona but not Nevada
    Nevada recognizes Arizona but not Utah
    Arizona recognizes all other states valid permits providing the following conditions are met:
    Arizona and any political subdivisions of Arizona shall recognize a concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or license that is issued by another state or a political subdivision of another state if both:

1. The permit or license is recognized as valid in the issuing state
    2. The permit or license holder is all of the following:
      • Legally present in this state
      • Not legally prohibited from possessing a firearm in this state

Quote Originally Posted by 2065toyota View Post

Utah, AZ & NV Concealed Carry Permit recognition reciprocity agreements...

Arizona's is here: http://www.azdps.gov/services/concea...s/reciprocity/

Nevada's is here: http://www.nvrepository.state.nv.us/ccw_changes.shtml

So.... the only permit that is good in UT, AZ and NV is the AZ permit.

I heard that NV stopped recognizing our CC permit a couple of years ago because we had no practical, or shooting, portions required for the permit. I totally agree with them - we should have a practical segment to verify you can handle a gun before you are licensed to carry it in public.

Re: Concealed Firearms Permit

You can legally carry a firearm in public in Utah without a permit. We have an open carry law. The deal is the firearm can not be concealed and must be in plain sight. The Utah CCP allows you to carry the firearm concealed. Therefore under Utah law it really makes little sence to add a shooting requirement to the CCP. When you carry concealed you are bound by some different laws. The CCP class covers Utah firrarm laws and concealed carry laws. Now if you had of taken a CCP class you would already know all this :)

Sent using Tapatalk

Concealed Firearms Permit

Utah is reciprocal with Georgia so I can carry concealed without knowing anything about guns or gun laws since there is no class or test for a CCP in GA. :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Charlie...
    Stalking Light

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    The CCP class covers Utah firrarm laws and concealed carry laws. Now if you had of taken a CCP class you would already know all this :)

Sent using Tapatalk
    I got my CCP several years back! It is there that I decided that we need a shooting requirement. I was in a class of 15. 1st question from the instructor - "how many of you are hunters?" 3 hands went up. "how many of you have have taken a hunter's safety course?" same 3 hands went up. As the class went on the questions got more and more stupid... even down to "how do you decide which hand to hold the gun with?" By the end of the class I was scared knowing that these people, and thousands like them will be carrying guns on our streets! What's wrong with ensuring someone who carries actually has some proficiency in using the firearm?

Both Doug' Shootin' Sports and Get Some Guns have a shooting portion that they have added- though it may be just to sell ammo and rent guns!, regardless I applaud them for at least showing folks how to handle the fire arms. My wife and a couple of her friends have decided to take the CCP course. Her brother is a retired SWAT officer. For their christmas presents I set up a training class with him for the 3 of them... and included a box of ammo. If they take to it great... if it scares them off a little, then they probably shouldn't be carrying.

My point was those same people asking dumb questions in your class are already allowed to carry a firearm in public, so the shooting requirement is kinda silly..... something along the lines of making people take swimming lesson after they are finished swimming for ther day...

Now if you think people should have to take a class before handling or owning a firearm that is a different topic.

My point was those same people asking dumb questions in your class are already allowed to carry a firearm in public, so the shooting requirement is kinda silly..... something along the lines of making people take swimming lesson after they are finished swimming for ther day...

Now if you think people should have to take a class before handling or owning a firearm that is a different topic.
    not many folks open carry, even though it is legal. based on the low level questions I'm not sure they knew the law, nor would have the determination to open carry.

But I agree... they should have to take some sort of safety or handling class prior to purchase of their fire arm.

You can legally carry a firearm in public in Utah without a permit. We have an open carry law. The deal is the firearm can not be concealed and must be in plain sight. The Utah CCP allows you to carry the firearm concealed. Therefore under Utah law it really makes little sence to add a shooting requirement to the CCP. When you carry concealed you are bound by some different laws. The CCP class covers Utah firrarm laws and concealed carry laws. Now if you had of taken a CCP class you would already know all this :)

Sent using Tapatalk

I heard it was....you may open carry with NO permit, but there must not be a bullet in the chamber. CCP allows you to conceal WITH a bullet in the chamber, but it can't be out in the open...or something like that.

In other words,

NO CCP, NO BULLET IN CHAMBER = MUST OPEN CARRY

WITH CCP, WITH BULLET IN CHAMBER = MUST NOT OPEN CARRY, MUST CARRY IN POCKET

Correct me if I'm wrong.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    I heard it was....you may open carry with NO permit, but there must not be a bullet in the chamber. CCP allows you to conceal WITH a bullet in the chamber, but it can't be out in the open...or something like that.

In other words,

NO CCP, NO BULLET IN CHAMBER = MUST OPEN CARRY

WITH CCP, WITH BULLET IN CHAMBER = MUST NOT OPEN CARRY, MUST CARRY IN POCKET

Correct me if I'm wrong.
    I am pretty sure CC holders can still carry openly but they can have one in the chamber. The the difference is essentially loaded and unloaded for the CFP holder and non CFP holder.
    So, Kid, you think you got what it takes to be a Punch King?

Taken from a different forum I frequent: The post included links to the various Utah codes but I am not going to take the time to copy and paste them mostly because I don't know how easily. Here is the forum for those interested: http://utahconcealedcarry.com/viewto...&t=2227#p18309

What does a Utah Concealed Firearm Permit (CFP) give you?

This question occasionally comes up, so I thought I'd post a thread to deal exclusively with this topic. Remember, I am not an attorney. Do not take what I post as legal advice. Verify this information for yourselves.

Check the letter you received from BCI when you were issued your permit. It spells out what sections of law we are exempt from with a permit. In that letter (at least it was in mine), you will find that it says the following:
    A concealed firearm permit only exempts you from Subsection 76-10-504(1)(a),1(b), Utah code Annotated, "Carrying Concealed Firearms". Section 76-10-505, Utah code Annotated, carrying a loaded firearm in a vehicle or on the street" and section 76-10-505.5, Utah code Annotated, possession of a dangerous weapon on or about school premises."
    (Note that my letter is old now since it was sent to me long before changes in the 2009 legislative session. The remainder of this post has been updated with the changes from the 2009 legislative session.)

From what I can tell, they base the above on two sections of code:
    U.C.A. 76-10-523. Persons exempt from weapons laws.
    (2) The provisions of Subsections 76-10-504(1) and (2), and Section 76-10-505 do not apply to any person to whom a permit to carry a concealed firearm has been issued:
    (a) pursuant to Section 53-5-704; or
    (b) by another state or county.

U.C.A. 76-10-505.5. Possession of a dangerous weapon, firearm, or sawed-off shotgun on or about school premises -- Penalties.
    (1) A person may not possess any dangerous weapon, firearm, or sawed-off shotgun, as those terms are defined in Section 76-10-501, at a place that the person knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is on or about school premises as defined in Subsection 76-3-203.2(1).
    (2) (a) Possession of a dangerous weapon on or about school premises is a class B misdemeanor.
    (b) Possession of a firearm or sawed-off shotgun on or about school premises is a class A misdemeanor.
    (3) This section does not apply if:
    (a) the person is authorized to possess a firearm as provided under Section 53-5-704, 53-5-705, 76-10-511, or 76-10-523, or as otherwise authorized by law;
    (emphasis added)

Summary
    Coalescing what the above two sections reference into a single list, with a CFP, we are exempt from the following subsections:
    U.C.A. 76-10-504(1) and (2). Carrying concealed dangerous weapon -- Penalties.
    (1) Except as provided in Section 76-10-503 and in Subsections (2), (3), and (4), a person who carries a concealed dangerous weapon, as defined in Section 76-10-501, including an unloaded firearm on his or her person or one that is readily accessible for immediate use which is not securely encased, as defined in this part, in or on a place other than the person's residence, property, a vehicle in the person's lawful possession, or a vehicle, with the consent of the individual who is lawfully in possession of the vehicle, or business under the person's control is guilty of a class B misdemeanor.
    (2) A person who carries a concealed dangerous weapon which is a loaded firearm in violation of Subsection (1) is guilty of a class A misdemeanor.

U.C.A. 76-10-505. Carrying loaded firearm in vehicle or on street.
    (1) Unless otherwise authorized by law, a person may not carry a loaded firearm:
    (a) in or on a vehicle, unless:
    (i) the vehicle is in the person's lawful possession; or
    (ii) the person is carrying the loaded firearm in a vehicle with the consent of the person lawfully in possession of the vehicle;
    (b) on a public street; or
    (c) in a posted prohibited area.
    (2) Subsection (1)(a) does not apply to a minor under 18 years of age, since a minor under 18 years of age may not carry a loaded firearm in or on a vehicle.
    (3) Notwithstanding Subsection (1)(a)(i) and (ii), a person may not possess a loaded rifle, shotgun, or muzzle-loading rifle in a vehicle.
    (4) A violation of this section is a class B misdemeanor.

U.C.A. 76-10-505.5. Possession of a dangerous weapon, firearm, or sawed-off shotgun on or about school premises -- Penalties.
    (1) A person may not possess any dangerous weapon, firearm, or sawed-off shotgun, as those terms are defined in Section 76-10-501, at a place that the person knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is on or about school premises as defined in Subsection 76-3-203.2(1).
    (2) (a) Possession of a dangerous weapon on or about school premises is a class B misdemeanor.
    (b) Possession of a firearm or sawed-off shotgun on or about school premises is a class A misdemeanor.
    (3) This section does not apply if:
    (a) the person is authorized to possess a firearm as provided under Section 53-5-704, 53-5-705, 76-10-511, or 76-10-523, or as otherwise authorized by law;
    That's it. Those are the only weapons statutes that we are exempt from with a CFP.

Now, understand that there are places that we are not allowed to carry, even with a CFP:
    U.C.A. 53-5-710. Cross-references to concealed firearm permit restrictions.
    A person with a permit to carry a concealed firearm may not carry a concealed firearm in the following locations:
    (1) any secure area prescribed in Section 76-10-523.5 in which firearms are prohibited and notice of the prohibition posted;
    (2) in any airport secure area as provided in Section 76-10-529; or
    (3) in any house of worship or in any private residence where dangerous weapons are prohibited as provided in Section 76-10-530.

NOTE: This is my reading of the statutes. I am not a lawyer.

For a more complete list of links to Utah and Federal laws online, visit this thread: Handy links to Utah and Federal gun laws online

ADDENDUM: SGT Jensen reminded me of some more:
    We can carry on a bus. (By Utah law -- be sure to check Federal law if traveling interstate!)
    76-10-1504. Bus hijacking -- Assault with intent to commit hijacking -- Use of a dangerous weapon or firearm -- Penalties.
    (4) (a) A person who boards a bus with a concealed dangerous weapon or firearm upon his person or effects is guilty of a third degree felony.
    (b) The prohibition of Subsection (4)(a) does not apply to:
    (ii) a person licensed to carry a concealed weapon;
    We can carry a firearm into a terminal.
    U.C.A. 76-10-1507. Exclusion of persons without bona fide business from terminal -- Firearms and dangerous materials -- Surveillance devices and seizure of offending materials -- Detention of violators -- Private security personnel.
    (2) (a) A person who carries a concealed dangerous weapon, firearm, or any highly inflammable or hazardous materials or devices into a terminal or aboard a bus is guilty of a third degree felony.
    (b) The prohibition of Subsection (2)(a) does not apply to individuals listed in Subsection 76-10-1504(4).
    We don't have to pay the $7.50 background check fee when we buy a gun.
    U.C.A. 76-10-526. Criminal background check prior to purchase of a firearm -- Fee -- Exemption for concealed firearm permit holders.
    (12) (a) (i) All dealers shall collect a criminal history background check fee which is $7.50.
    (13) An individual with a concealed firearm permit issued pursuant to Title 53, Chapter 5, Part 7, Concealed Weapon Act, shall be exempt from the background check and corresponding fee required in this section for the purchase of a firearm if:
    (a) the individual presents the individual's concealed firearm permit to the dealer prior to purchase of the firearm; and
    (b) the dealer verifies with the division that the individual's concealed firearm permit is valid.
    So, Kid, you think you got what it takes to be a Punch King?

Quote Originally Posted by double moo View Post
    It is there that I decided that we need a shooting requirement.
    I got my CCW back when Utah did require you to shoot. In fact, you had to show up with either a revolver a semi-auto or both. And according to which one you brought, that was what you were "certified" with--pretty much a waste of time.

I feel confident that those few that are actually committed to the demanding task of carrying on a daily basis (not just under the car seat) have sense enough to have the necessary training needed.

17. Likes 2065toyota liked this post

Education?!?! Nah...

Re: Concealed Firearms Permit

It looks like Utah might become a Constitutional carry state, which means you do not need a permit to carry concealed. If passed anyone 21 or over, who is legally allowed to carry a firearm, can carry concealed.

The Utah law will be modeled on Vermont's, which is a Constitutional carry state. Stay tuned.....

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

It looks like Utah might become a Constitutional carry state, which means you do not need a permit to carry concealed. If passed anyone 21 or over, who is legally allowed to carry a firearm, can carry concealed.

The Utah law will be modeled on Vermont's, which is a Constitutional carry state. Stay tuned.....

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3
    Not sure how I feel about this. I kinda wish Utah would go back to having to shoot as part of your CWP. But at the same time, I think people who feel inclined to carry concealed GENERALLY have good firearm etiquette and common sense mixed with a little experience. It wouldn't occur to me that carrying would be a good idea if I had no experience or training with a handgun. Prudence should dictate initiative on the part of the carrier to seek at least basic training.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3
    Az and Alaska are also Constitutional carry, correct?
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

Vermont has had Constitutional Carry since the nation's founding in 1791-- they never enacted any law banning the right to discreetly bear arms.

Montana enacted Constitutional Carry in 1991, for all areas outside city limits (99.4% of the state), and is working on the rest.

Alaska enacted Constitutional Carry in 2003.

Texas enacted Constitutional Carry "light" in 2007 as the "Motorist Protection Act," freeing people to carry in their vehicles, and to and from their vehicles and their homes, land or business.

Arizona got full Constitutional Carry in 2010, and the sky has not fallen, despite desperate fears to the contrary.

Wyoming enacted Constitutional Carry for residents in 2011.

States planning to introduce or that have already introduced Constitutional Carry laws in their legislatures:

Indiana, Iowa, Montana, Ohio, Rhode Island, Texas, Utah, Virginia and Wisconsin