Thread: Canyon Recommendations for Red Rocks in December

Canyon Recommendations for Red Rocks in December

I am planning a canyoneering day with two members of my family and my girlfriend in two weeks on Monday, December 24th. They have zero experience canyoneering and so I wanted to find an easy short canyon that still has some quality rappels and decent scenery. So far I have settled on Mud Springs Canyon assuming there is no water in it on the day we decide to do the canyon. Ideally I would prefer a canyon 4-6 hours in length and one that doesn't require a shuttle.

Both my cousin and her mother are extremely active people so I am not too worried about their ability to do the canyon and my girlfriend has three canyons already under her belt. I just want to be safe so that everyone has a great time. Any recommendations would be super appreciated.

Also I hear that Mud Springs Canyon has a high clearance road but the beta on Luke's site says it is just preferred. Can a Saturn Ion sedan make it?

Thanks,

Conrad

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

If you're looking for recommendations in Red Rock Canyon in LV, do Hidden Falls. Pretty area, straightforward route, shouldn't be too wet. It does have a big approach hike but that is usually a bonus in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    If you're looking for recommendations in Red Rock Canyon in LV, do Hidden Falls. Pretty area, straightforward route, shouldn't be too wet. It does have a big approach hike but that is usually a bonus in my book.
    Hidden Falls was my original plan, but my family didn't want to spend the entire day hiking since other family will be around for Christmas.

Mud Springs requires a shuttle. Given the heavy rains a few months back, a Saturn Ion is unlikely to make to it to either the starting trailhead or exit point - though it has a better chance of reaching the exit point. You would be running to get through it in under 5 hours. It will also have some water as it is spring fed - it may be avoidable if there hasn't been any recent rain/snow melt to supplement it. If water is present, it will be cold.

Hidden Falls is an easier canyon and also very nice. You will not get through it in under 6 hours without setting up a shuttle as you would have a very long approach. A shuttle would require a true 4x4 as Rocky Gap Rd also got hit hard by the rains.

If you do not have your heart set on the Red Rock area, you may want to consider a few other options around Vegas. There are two nice canyons south of Vegas (about 5 miles south of Jean, NV - a 45 minute drive from the Strip) that are shorter, warmer, dry and still scenic. The shorter one is Antenna Canyon with 8 raps that can be done in 5 to 6 hours. Desperado Canyon is a bit longer with 10 to 12 raps and will take you 6 to 7 hours. However, both canyons are located off the same dirt road and it does require a high clearance vehicle. No shuttle is required for either.

Another choice would be River Mountain Canyon located in the Lake Mead National Recreation area right off Lake Shore Dr. It is actually 2 canyons, one you go up, cross over a ridge, and come down another. Some nice up climbing in the first and 8 short raps in the down canyon. No shuttle or high clearance vehicle is required and it can be done in 5 hours. A fun easy canyon.

Another choice would be Keyhole Canyon in the Eldorado Mountains (see Bluugnome). It is a short easy canyon. No shuttle needed, but you will have to take it very slow on the dirt rd approach.

There also a few canyons in the Black Canyon area just south of Lake Mead, but the above are probably better choices given your constraints.

If you want more information or beta on the canyons, just PM me.

6. Likes tley430 liked this post
    What is the highest rap in River Mountain Canyon?

About 60 feet - most are in the 30' to 50' range - sort and easy. We have 130' rope that does the canyon just fine. While not needed, a car shuttle would save some walking.

9. Likes tley430 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by LVRAY View Post
    Mud Springs requires a shuttle. Given the heavy rains a few months back, a Saturn Ion is unlikely to make to it to either the starting trailhead or exit point - though it has a better chance of reaching the exit point. You would be running to get through it in under 5 hours. It will also have some water as it is spring fed - it may be avoidable if there hasn't been any recent rain/snow melt to supplement it. If water is present, it will be cold.

Hidden Falls is an easier canyon and also very nice. You will not get through it in under 6 hours without setting up a shuttle as you would have a very long approach. A shuttle would require a true 4x4 as Rocky Gap Rd also got hit hard by the rains.

If you do not have your heart set on the Red Rock area, you may want to consider a few other options around Vegas. There are two nice canyons south of Vegas (about 5 miles south of Jean, NV - a 45 minute drive from the Strip) that are shorter, warmer, dry and still scenic. The shorter one is Antenna Canyon with 8 raps that can be done in 5 to 6 hours. Desperado Canyon is a bit longer with 10 to 12 raps and will take you 6 to 7 hours. However, both canyons are located off the same dirt road and it does require a high clearance vehicle. No shuttle is required for either.

Another choice would be River Mountain Canyon located in the Lake Mead National Recreation area right off Lake Shore Dr. It is actually 2 canyons, one you go up, cross over a ridge, and come down another. Some nice up climbing in the first and 8 short raps in the down canyon. No shuttle or high clearance vehicle is required and it can be done in 5 hours. A fun easy canyon.

Another choice would be Keyhole Canyon in the Eldorado Mountains (see Bluugnome). It is a short easy canyon. No shuttle needed, but you will have to take it very slow on the dirt rd approach.

There also a few canyons in the Black Canyon area just south of Lake Mead, but the above are probably better choices given your constraints.

If you want more information or beta on the canyons, just PM me.
    Do have any beta on these canyons in Black Canyon? I'm doing a weekend paddle trip below the dam and would like to do some exploring while in the area.

There are probably a half dozen or more canyons below the dam in Black Canyon (if you include the AZ side) that have technical sections and I am familiar with most of them. Unfortunately, there is very little beta available outside of the knowledge possessed by us in local canyoneering community. If you have specific ones in mind, let me know and I can give you some details. You can also try looking at Rick's Las Vegas Slots Canyoneering Project page (https://www.facebook.com/lvslotcanyons), but he only has beta written up for weeping springs (though he is very familiar with them all). If you are a member, look at the Las Vegas Canyoneering Meetup Group (http://www.meetup.com/Las-Vegas-Canyoneering-Meetup-Group/). Almost all these canyons will have trip listings and photos.

Names of some canyons you want to look at: motorcycle, boyscout, ringpin, cottonwood, Devil's drain, weeping springs. There are a few others, but these are probably the better ones.

Thank you