Thread: Middle Earth (lower section)

Middle Earth (lower section)

Mojave Silence and I decided to try and run this canyon even lower than we did last time. Unfortunately the thought of ascending a 275+ waterfall, along with a crap ton of water in your face is very discouraging. Not to mention the thought of being swept over the edge of the next rappel.

Very clear water all over the canyon. Dropped in at our "egress". Had 2 rappels down, which just looks absolutely stunning.

Sitting at the top of the 275 foot rappel was very unnerving. Water roaring over, and the thought of going down that isn't that bad.. but coming back up, would really be a quite heavy. We set bolts (yes we're the devils), and quadruple backed up our anchors, with some extra boulders. However the bolts are perfectly placed, for a solid pull, easy rap down, and just plain safe.

Sucks, that after only Mojave Silence goes down about 50ft.. we had to jug back out of everything. Still a fun gorgeous day though.

Anyways, enjoy the pics.

Ren
    Attached Images Attached Images            

2. Likes DiscGo liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beautiful pics, awesome rappel, but what did you use that brown webbing for?

Middle Earth (lower section)

Nice one Ren. What are you using to ascend with? Can't wait to give it a go!

Quote Originally Posted by dweaver2130 View Post
    Beautiful pics, awesome rappel, but what did you use that brown webbing for?
    The rope was already clipped into the bolt on the left, before we even tied on the webbing. The webbing just became our safety for clipping in. We also did a pre-set of how it would be if we were to rappel down it for pulling our ropes, location of the rappel ring, and how awkward the start of the rappel would be. We set it up so that when the time comes to descend that, we'd be 100% ready. We also didn't want to risk dropping that 300ft rope we had, when we moved the rope, to the rappel ring. We threw the rope down first, to see if the rope would hit the bottom or not.... just in case it wasn't long enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakine View Post
    Nice one Ren. What are you using to ascend with? Can't wait to give it a go!
    We use Petzl Ascention... the ones with the big handles, and the Metolius Easy Aider.

Beautiful canyon! Looks like I need to make a trip out to Hawaii.....

Forgive my ignorance, but why did you have to jug back up the 275'? What is preventing you from going further?

Quote Originally Posted by yetigonecrazy View Post
    Beautiful canyon! Looks like I need to make a trip out to Hawaii.....

Forgive my ignorance, but why did you have to jug back up the 275'? What is preventing you from going further?
    Really rough ocean with cliffs on both sides. There MIGHT be an exit on the beach on low tide (unknown), but you'd have to pass through some VERY angry Hawaiiians in the area. The kind that'll shoot you.

10. Likes Mojave Silence liked this post

A few weeks back we finally finished this route all the way to the ocean. After the above mentioned 275'er, which is stunning in its beauty, there was a short exposed down-climb, about 10 feet. From a ledge there we set 2 bolts canyon right for the final rappel, which is a pretty 100'er. A 10 minute walk put us on the sand (well, more rocks than sand) at the ocean. After climbing up a low angle palm tree and standing on Ren's shoulders, we harvested then feasted on/drank coconuts. All-in-all 'Middle Girth Earth' is a premier Maui canyon with some very unique and beautiful features. Thanks to Ren, Melissa, JJ and Tim. Name:  P7200922.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  148.3 KBName:  P7200968.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  80.6 KBName:  P7200931.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  82.1 KBName:  P7200934.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  200.9 KBName:  P7200940.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  172.9 KBName:  P7200955.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  134.5 KBName:  P7200964.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  62.5 KB

13. Likes ghawk liked this post
    Sweet pictures! Again! My wife keeps saying we have to go to Hawaii someday, and I'm definitely going to be bringing my gear along when we go.
    --Cliff

Beautiful, great TR
    - Gavin

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojave Silence View Post
    A few weeks back we finally finished this route all the way to the ocean. After the above mentioned 275'er, which is stunning in its beauty, there was a short exposed down-climb, about 10 feet. From a ledge there we set 2 bolts canyon right for the final rappel, which is a pretty 100'er. A 10 minute walk put us on the sand (well, more rocks than sand) at the ocean. After climbing up a low angle palm tree and standing on Ren's shoulders, we harvested then feasted on/drank coconuts. All-in-all 'Middle Girth Earth' is a premier Maui canyon with some very unique and beautiful features. Thanks to Ren, Melissa, JJ and Tim.
    Awesome.

And then jugged to get back out?

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Awesome.

And then jugged to get back out?

Tom
    Didn't have to ascend out this time, we had permission to cross some private property

18. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    There are a bunch of routes out there with no egress (ending at the ocean). We've run a bunch where we had to fix lines all the way down, 1,600'-1,800' and ascend back out, sometimes 20+ active waterfalls. Those were some heavy backpacks!