Thread: Best Rappelling Gloves

Best Rappelling Gloves

I've gone through quite a number of rappelling gloves and the number 1 cause of destruction is always water. I am currently thinking of getting the black PMI Tactical Gloves here: http://shop.pmirope.com/personal-gea...ctMasterID=864
    But I know that as durable as these claim to be, water is gonna ruin them quick. Are there any gloves on the market that work better in water environments?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Name:  DSCF0352.jpg
Views: 3032
Size:  49.8 KBFor all my lack of experience, I use cheap leather gardening gloves from the local garden centre.

Last edited by Rob L; 12-03-2012 at 01:53 PM. Reason: add pic

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Do you want gloves for rappelling? or for Canyoneering?

If you want them for canyoneering, we have found the Atlas Thermofits work quite well.

http://www.store.canyoneeringusa.com...oduct=10914079

They work best as protection for the hands when downclimbing, and work OK as rappelling gloves, though they wear out fairly quickly. Not too expensive though.

Tom

The belay device is supposed to do the work

6. Likes trackrunner, Felicia, hank moon liked this post
    I like the Black Diamond crag half finger gloves for rappelling. They are made out of synthetic leather, so they don't get soggy and floppy when wet (in contrast to leather work gloves). I found that they hold up pretty well in the canyons.

I agree with , however. If you are talking about down climbing, stemming, etc., rubberized gardening gloves work best. But, I have also found that if you use them for rappelling and aren't super careful, the spot between your thumb and your index finger wears through pretty quick.

In any case, I would try them on in the store before you buy if you can. The difference between helpful vs. hassle is a good snug fit.

My biggest issue is when the gloves get wet otherwise many gloves I've used like the PMI fingerless gloves work great. The combination of water and rappelling just tears them up super fast. I also think I use up gloves quickly because I tend to rappel fast.

http://www.rei.com/product/673714/me...limbing-gloves

I've beat the crap out of these gloves, and they keep on kicking. They do firm up after they dry out just like any leather product. But after a few minutes of wear during the next adventrue, they work like new again.

I like the fingerless style, so I can feel the walls while moving down canyon. I've sanded my fingerprints smooth a couple of times, but they always grow back.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    http://www.rei.com/product/673714/me...limbing-gloves

I've beat the crap out of these gloves, and they keep on kicking. They do firm up after they dry out just like any leather product. But after a few minutes of wear during the next adventrue, they work like new again.

I like the fingerless style, so I can feel the walls while moving down canyon. I've sanded my fingerprints smooth a couple of times, but they always grow back.
    I'm used these gloves before and I have to say that they definitely lasted the longest. Maybe I should get two pairs of gloves. One set is for water exclusively and the other is for dry canyons.

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Do you want gloves for rappelling? or for Canyoneering?

If you want them for canyoneering, we have found the Atlas Thermofits work quite well.

http://www.store.canyoneeringusa.com...oduct=10914079

They work best as protection for the hands when downclimbing, and work OK as rappelling gloves, though they wear out fairly quickly. Not too expensive though.

Tom
    X2!

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    I have found the best glove for all around canyoneering: the best at rappelling, great at swimming and wet, good at downclimbing. It is called the Naked Hand by the Creator.

The naked hand tells me while rappelling if I do not have enough friction that I should add more friction on the fly ASAP. The naked hand works well when wet and swimming, it also drys quickly. But if conditions are cold a wetsuit glove may work better or just swim with your hands out of the water. It works well downclimbing, but in canyons with a lot of repeated downclimbing or in canyons where the walls are like sandpaper a rubber garden/work glove works well. You can also get a insulated rubber garden/work glove that works well when conditions are cold. I take it off for the rappel but put it back on for everything else, including to keep my hands warm while hiking.

I sometimes wear a leather glove for a long rappel. Not for added friction, but to protect my hand from handling a hot rappel device. I use a thin leather work glove that allows for finger dexterity, and has an extra patch of leather on the palm. Thick leather gloves that look like what a train engineer would wear takes away too much dexterity IMHO.

YMMV

13. Likes Brian in SLC, ratagonia liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner View Post
    YMMV
    Yep.

Problem with the Naked Hand glove is that it does not allow you to rappel very fast which is usually the way I like to rappel.

16. Likes Deathcricket liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by bioject View Post
    Problem with the Naked Hand glove is that it does not allow you to rappel very fast which is usually the way I like to rappel.
    x2

Plus I like to keep my hands soft for the ladies.....
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

If you buy some Atlas gloves and don't like them for canyons, then that's ok because they are the baddest Christmas light gloves aroundName:  IMG_1188.jpg
Views: 1831
Size:  86.4 KB

I do like the Metolius, or just some from the DI or Walmart, and wrap some duck tape around the thumb/palm area before I head out...

Seems gloves just wear out fast.