Thread: Chukar hunting

Chukar hunting

Went for the first time this year and have been several times since. It is the hardest hunting just for a bird but when a covey of them all break at once around you its a rush!

Today on the west side of Utah Lake. No dogs, just hiking the hills for an hour with my 12yr old daughter (she didn't hunt but did shoot the 12 at a can). We saw 7 birds, took three shots and retrieved one bird.

Name:  PC020017.jpg
Views: 4168
Size:  68.9 KB

Name:  PC020019.jpg
Views: 1444
Size:  79.5 KB

Name:  PC020015.jpg
Views: 4454
Size:  68.6 KB

2. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Its whats for dinner

Name:  PC020001.jpg
Views: 1203
Size:  58.5 KB

Name:  PC020002.jpg
Views: 1167
Size:  88.3 KB

5. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    cool report, looks tasty

congrats on taking your daughter out for quality time
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

You find out just how good of shape you are in when you chase chukkars. How are your knees from all of the side hills ? I hate to admit that 2 years ago I flushed 82 birds and only came home with 1.

Quote Originally Posted by REDFOX View Post
    You find out just how good of shape you are in when you chase chukkars. How are your knees from all of the side hills ? I hate to admit that 2 years ago I flushed 82 birds and only came home with 1.
    I need to know where to find 82 birds

It is hard on the knees and ankles, those birds like the most steep and rocky hillsides around. I picked up some Danner boots that have made all the difference in how sore I am the next day!
    What I need now is a bird dog, my daughter was not too eager with pointing, flushing or retrieving .

Quote Originally Posted by fourtycal View Post
    I need to know where to find 82 birds

It is hard on the knees and ankles, those birds like the most steep and rocky hillsides around. I picked up some Danner boots that have made all the difference in how sore I am the next day!
    What I need now is a bird dog, my daughter was not too eager with pointing, flushing or retrieving .
    That is where training comes in... Give her time, it may not be as natural for her as it is for a bird dog but she can learn. HA HA
    So, Kid, you think you got what it takes to be a Punch King?

Quote Originally Posted by PunchKing View Post
    That is where training comes in... Give her time, it may not be as natural for her as it is for a bird dog but she can learn. HA HA
    Maybe one of these would help?

I hunted on West mountain. I traded a guided flyfishing float trip down the southfork of the snake river for a guided chukar hunt. He happened to be the president of the Utah chukar foundation. We used a total of 12 dogs in rotation for the day. His pickup bed was completely filled with dog kennels. We used 2 dogs at a time. I probably saw atleast 300 chukars in Riggins Idaho while fishing there recently.

This weeks Chukar hunt... found a sweet shed and bagged a cottontail. flushed a covey of Chukar, took a few shots but couldn't hit anything
    Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 1874
Size:  75.9 KB

13. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    With your new diet and exercise plan you are going to be in pretty awesome shape in time for mountain bike season.
    So, Kid, you think you got what it takes to be a Punch King?

Chukar hunting

Quote Originally Posted by PunchKing View Post
    With your new diet and exercise plan you are going to be in pretty awesome shape in time for mountain bike season.