Thread: Big Horn - Arches NP

Big Horn - Arches NP

So here is my Big Horn video from last weekend in Moab. My family did Big Horn with Scott P's family. No children were harmed in the making of this video. The video also shows the unique arch known as "The Tunnel"

Route description is here: http://climb-utah.com/Moab/bighorn.htm

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Cool video. I loved the beginning and ending images. Looks like everyone had a lot of fun. I would have liked to see a close-up of your anchors on the long rappel. It looked like the anchor tension weight was evenly balanced in the video.
    You just don't know how fast things can go wrong!

www.parkcitycarservice.com "Just Leave the driving to us"
    866-361-2925

Nice video, I have only done that route once eons ago. I like the last anchor better now. It was only webbed thru one hole. Didn't look close enough to see if it could be doubled. Made me nervous when we went down.

Mark

That was only my second time through. The first was when we established the route in February 2007. The route was actually in really good shape, folks have been doing a nice job of avoiding the Crypto. With all the negative about grafitti it's nice to see where a good route description has allowed thousands of others to visit with very limited impact. It also helps that the Arches rangers cairned a path down one of the washes after you leave the slickrock on the hike back to the road.

FWIW: When we first did this route it was because I had been looking at the "Great Wall" for a few years and wanted to see what was up on top. Than I heard about "The Tunnel" and figured it was a good time to visit both. The Tunnel has been seeing a lot of hiker visitation. There is a pretty well established path now but it also follows the wash bottoms for the most part. When we first visited The Tunnel I don't think more than a handful of people even knew of it's existance.

Anyhoo.... it was a fun cold weather family route and everyone had a lot of fun.

Another excellent video Shane. My boys liked it too and have put that one on the list as well.

You have a blue strap or something going to a single load/anchor at 2:09? Looked a little strange, but maybe the slope was too great to equalize as a "v" for the start?

This one may be a good candidate to try and convince the kids to try! They seem to get burned out with the long pre/post hikes. Thanks for sharing.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    This is a fairly lengthy hike in.
    I've done the route once, I'm good with that.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

I thought it was a pretty fun route. It is a pretty long hike in, but the view is kickawesome when you finally get to the top. And the rappels are fun. Sweet video.
    --Cliff

I must be missing something. That whole route is around 3 miles long, no? How can it have a long hike in?

Re: Big Horn - Arches NP

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    I must be missing something. That whole route is around 3 miles long, no? How can it have a long hike in?
    Your not missing anything. It takes about 30 minutes from TH to the Tunnel and about 45 minutes from the Tunnel to the first rappel.

The hike in might seem a little boring if not for the Tunnel, but that stop breaks it up really nice.

A moderately talented group can do the entire loop, road to road, in under three hours. Noobs will take 4 hours.

Sent using Tapatalk

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    All your missing is-- that was a response to the gentlemen looking for an easy hike for "young kids", who get burned out with longer approach's.

I usually jog the approach to bighorn carrying a cooler of beer and drinks for the group.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

All your missing is-- that was a response to the gentlemen looking for an easy hike for "young kids", who get burned out with longer approach's.
    Starting early next week, I'm taking my 10 year old on a 200 mile approach (on foot).

The hike in might seem a little boring if not for the Tunnel, but that stop breaks it up really nice.
    The "canyon" itself isn't really special in comparison to some other canyons, but is still fun and the hike out there is quite pretty. The scenery and views on top are nice and to me it's worth hiking to such places with or without the descent of the canyon. This is more a hike with a few rappels, but in most areas of the world, hikes like that one would be considered to be world class. We're just spoiled living in this part of the world.

Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    The "canyon" itself isn't really special in comparison to some other canyons, but is still fun and the hike out there is quite pretty. The scenery and views on top are nice and to me it's worth hiking to such places with or without the descent of the canyon. This is more a hike with a few rappels, but in most areas of the world, hikes like that one would be considered to be world class. We're just spoiled living in this part of the world.
    Agreed. There have been many many moments when I have been overwhelmed with realization of how awesome it is to live in this area. There is so much to do and see, and such a HUGE variety! It is easy for us to forget that sometimes these approach hikes we "tolerate" are destination hikes for the rest of the world!
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    I usually jog the approach to bighorn carrying a cooler of beer and drinks for the group.
    Sounds like you should hang out with my buddy TA (the TA stands for Totally Awesome).

You can read some of his letters home here:
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?23323