Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mountain Bike

Mountain Bike

I will say that the full susys I was riding were full more downhill bikes. the fsr had pedal lock out but it still seemed to have a lot more movement than I liked. But I'm a more of an xc guy but a hardtail is definately a better climber than a full suspension bike. Even when I ride bootleg and harder downhill stuff I like the responsiveness of a hardtail.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by REDFOX View Post
    ....Generally speaking a hardtail is a more effiecient climber....
    Quote Originally Posted by nelsonccc View Post
    ....a hardtail is definately a better climber than a full suspension bike....
    This is debatable. On very smooth trails this is undoubtedly true. However, if the climbs are at all technical there is a lot of evidence to the contrary. The full suspension bikes are able to track the ground better and so the energy applied at the pedals can be more efficiently transferred to the ground. The other major point is this:

Quote Originally Posted by REDFOX View Post
    ....For me personally a hardtail bikes beats me up enough to rob me of efficient pedalling and endurance.....
    For me, this is also very true. On short rides, the hardtail is fine. The constant jarring of a hardtail adds up and on longer rides takes a toll that isn't exacted by my full suspension bike.

You should poke around for a shop that is having a demo day, or would let you demo both a hardtail and a full suspension 29er. Ride them both on a ride you know very well and see which one you like better.

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonccc View Post
    My steel frame 29'er is amazing. Absolutely a pure pleasure to ride. It climbs like a billy goat but springs in and out of the turns on the downhill. I run it SS but I'd never go back. I don't even ride my geared specialized aluminum geared 29'er anymore.
    Glad you like it!

Quote Originally Posted by neilether View Post
    Glad you like it!
    THANK YOU.
    It's an extremely eye-opening experience. The frame is a blast to ride. Even on hard-rocky downhill it just flexes into the turns then kind of springs on the exits. Hard to describe but its just 'zippy'. Not sure if its the short chainstays or material or the overall lightness of the bike but it's fun to ride. The build ended up being 22 pounds, run SS, with a Reba RLT on the front. I haven't ridden my other bike since I finished the build.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    If a manufacturer needs a warranty, what does that say?
    That they stand behind the product 100%....FOR LIFE. One of the main reasons I didnt buy a Carbon Santa Cruz. 3 year warrantee and with the down time the bike gets in the winter it limits the warantee time and if it breaks in 4 your stuck.

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

Here's a thought. Short travel 29er. Full suspension, but short travel. Could be the perfect compromise for Corner Canyon Trails.

Salsa Spearfish

Thats why i suggested the Scapel short travel but suffiecient for anything.

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

Here are the two bikes that I'm considering at the moment

Salsa "Spearfish 2"
    http://salsacycles.com/bikes/2012_spearfish_2

Specialized Camber Comp 29
    http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bik...r/cambercomp29

I can get both bikes for about the same price. From someone in the know... Which has the better components? If the cost of the two bikes were equal, which is the better deal? Which do you think will fit my needs better?

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Here are the two bikes that I'm considering at the moment

Salsa "Spearfish 2"
    http://salsacycles.com/bikes/2012_spearfish_2

Specialized Camber Comp 29
    http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bik...r/cambercomp29

I can get both bikes for about the same price. From someone in the know... Which has the better components? If the cost of the two bikes were equal, which is the better deal? Which do you think will fit my needs better?
    The components are almost identical on the two bikes. The spearfish has a 15mm maxle whereas the Specialized has a standard QR. The salsa has slightly better brakes (elixir 5 vs 3r). They both have x7 and x9 derailleurs and x7 shifters. The forks are the same, but the rear shocks are different with the specialized having a slightly better one (i think...). The salsa has better wheels and hubs than the specialized and a name brand headset. I also like the xking tires on the salsa.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Looks like this is the bike... Salsa Spearfish 2.... it's supposed to be here Tuesday. A member of Bogley hooked me up with a really good deal.... Thanks a bunch.... You gotta love Bogley and it's members.

Salsa has updated the Spearfish 29er for 2012, “ultra-endurance racing and riding machine, perfect for 100-milers, 24-hour races, and all-day singletrack session,” says the company.

Name:  IMG_88831-625x468.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  99.4 KB

Re: Mountain Bike

I just looked at a salsa speerfish at scheels. I think that you will be happy
    With it.
    Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Mountain Bike

Sweet! I would definitely take the Salsa. Lotta Specialized bikes in Utah and they do make great bikes. However, I like to be different.

Looks like this is the bike... Salsa Spearfish 2.... it's supposed to be here Tuesday. A member of Bogley hooked me up with a really good deal.... Thanks a bunch.... You gotta love Bogley and it's members.

Salsa has updated the Spearfish 29er for 2012, “ultra-endurance racing and riding machine, perfect for 100-milers, 24-hour races, and all-day singletrack session,” says the company.

Name:  IMG_88831-625x468.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  99.4 KB
    Let us know how you like it once you have had a chance to actually get out on it. I have been intrigued by that bike since it was first released a couple years ago.

Will do, but it might be a while. I have 18" on snow in my yard (Corner Canyon).

Right now I need to decide what to do about pedals, any suggestions?

Sent using Tapatalk

Will do, but it might be a while. I have 18" on snow in my yard (Corner Canyon).

Right now I need to decide what to do about pedals, any suggestions?

Sent using Tapatalk
    Are you using clipless pedals now?

Alright... pedal terminology gets a little confusing for me because aperently there are pedals called clipless that attach your foot to the pedal?

Anyhoo... right now I use a pedal that requires a brass bushing attached to the bottom of my shoe. They are called ATC or something like that. You kick your heel sideways to release. They release pretty well in a crash unless you are going over the bars, and in that case you are screwed.

I understand platform pedals, which all the bmx guys use. It also looks like the hardcore downhill guys also use platforms from what I can tell.

Again the problem is I don't know crap about pedals because its been 15 years since I bought my last pair and shoes.

Sent using Tapatalk

A.T.A.C. are the pedals I'm currently using. I'm not sure if being clipped in is the best for casual trail riding. They were great pedals 12 years ago when I was still racing.

Sent using Tapatalk
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Alright... pedal terminology gets a little confusing for me because aperently there are pedals called clipless that attach your foot to the pedal?

Anyhoo... right now I use a pedal that requires a brass bushing attached to the bottom of my shoe. They are called ATC or something like that. You kick your heel sideways to release. They release pretty well in a crash unless you are going over the bars, and in that case you are screwed.

I understand platform pedals, which all the bmx guys use. It also looks like the hardcore downhill guys also use platforms from what I can tell.

Again the problem is I don't know crap about pedals because its been 15 years since I bought my last pair and shoes.

Sent using Tapatalk
    This is a guess on my part, but the gold standard used to be those toe-clips. They were straps that you wedged your toes into. Then they ditched the clips (clip-less) and went with the cleat on the bottom of your shoe that locks into a pedal mechanism. Voila. Clipless.

Anyway, your pedals are Time brand. I think I am in the minority, but I love Time pedals. I have a newer version of those A.T.A.C. pedals. There are lots of opinions out there as to the "best" pedals, but my favorites are Time, followed closely by Shimano. You could also look at Crank Brothers pedals. I don't like them, but lots of people do.

I can't stand riding anymore without being clipped in. I have gotten so used to being attached to the bike, that it is second nature now. I would say that if you are comfortable with clipping in and out of your pedals, then it is beneficial to stick with it.

I use Time pedals too.