Thread: Canyon Conservation Effort- American Canyoneers

Canyon Conservation Effort- American Canyoneers

Here is an opportunity for you to make an impact in the preservation of the natural beauty of America's canyons. As a part of their conservation efforts, the American Canyoneers; a newly formed, non profit, member-driven canyoneering association, is launching a program to to identify vandalism, graffiti and other man made impacts in and around the canyons. The process begins with the identification of the damage by means of photographic evidence provided by the public (you!) which will be compiled on the Conservation page of the American Canyoneers web site. Next, the land management organization responsible for the areas impacted will be contacted. Finally, with the guidance and support of the local land managers and by using techniques approved by those managers, the AC will recruit volunteers to repair the damage. The process can be followed on the AC website page here:
    http://www.americancanyoneers.org/wh.../conservation/

While visiting that page, take a poke around the rest of the website. You will see the efforts being made by folks to protect your access to canyons, along with conservation, education and safety efforts. The success of this program depends on the canyoneering community rallying behind and participating in protection of these wondrous natural resources. Please consider joining the organization, if you haven't already. Membership is $5 annually.

Please send photos of the impacts you may have previously found and record those that you come across in the future. Include your name (so the photo can be properly credited), the date of the photo and the location.
    Send photos and documentation to:
    adkramoo@aol.com
    THANK YOU!

American Canyoneers
    http://www.americancanyoneers.org/

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Just signed up! Thanks Ram!
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

If anybody is doing Mid Lep in the near future, there is new graffiti at the top of the first rap. Somebody felt the need to carve their name for everyone to see. I meant to take a picture of it last weekend and got sidetracked.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    I do not have pictures but I did notice graffiti in the Leprechaun canyon system. In West Lep there is a name carved deep into the rock by the deadman anchor.

In right Lep I would see an occasional X scratches. Not deep just needs to be washed or smeared with mud. Almost seems like someone was using it as a communication like X I did down climb this

Our last visit to Rock Canyon (East of Zion) we found graffiti scratched into the sandstone right by the petroglyphs. It was disappointing to see it there.

What is the best way to fix the sandstone when crap has been carved into the rock? Do you treat it differently depending on the depth?
    You just don't know how fast things can go wrong!

www.parkcitycarservice.com "Just Leave the driving to us"
    866-361-2925