Thread: Utah filmmakers release footage of mountain high-wire crossing

Utah filmmakers release footage of mountain high-wire crossing

2. Likes chromehead58 liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Great find, thanks for posting.
    go get lost, it is good for the soul

Looked like some nice quadrocopter shots!
    Riverside Mountain Rescue Unit
    http://www.rmru.org/

Personal Website
    http://www.DrunkRedDragon.com/adventures.htm

I'm beside myself angry that they didn't use natural anchors!!! GGRRRRR!!!

And what? What is this I see? NO HELMETS EITHER!?! Oh the humanity!!!
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Badass video!

I'm beside myself angry that they didn't use natural anchors!!! GGRRRRR!!!
    Yea man I felt a little twinge when I saw the drill. There are crazy forces on the anchors though, I'd be terrified highlining off natural anchors... maybe they coulda slung a tree or huge boulder or something? Are bolts standard for anchors while highlining, anyone know?

NO HELMETS EITHER!?!
    Not like any rocks are gonna fall on 'em from above and when they fall they're just suspended mid-air

8. Likes heliski2 liked this post

Great Video

This video got my heart racing. Pretty incredible slackline location. The bolting sucks, but I'll bet it was all removed afterwards.
    You just don't know how fast things can go wrong!

www.parkcitycarservice.com "Just Leave the driving to us"
    866-361-2925

Quote Originally Posted by heliski2 View Post
    The bolting sucks, but I'll bet it was all removed afterwards.
    Bet it wasn't.

Yeah, I cringed too a fair bit when I saw the Hilti. Especially given how sensitive some of that area is to bolting. Wilderness boundries in the local canyons come really close to the road in a number of locations. Posting a video in violation of said rules is kinda either ignorant or dumb. Bolts aren't illegal, but, the method of installation can be. Power drills are illegal in Wilderness. Foolish part of the footage IMHO.

That said, the local canyons are full of bolts especially that one (BCC I think?) as sport climbing is fairly popular there.

Edit to add...Ogden area? Or, up by Willard? Doesn't look like SLC in the shots.

Anyone nail the location?

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    Edit to add...Ogden area? Or, up by Willard? Doesn't look like SLC in the shots.

Anyone nail the location?
    my guess rock canyon outside of provo

Quote Originally Posted by heliski2 View Post
    The bolting sucks, but I'll bet it was all removed afterwards.
    has anyone ever removed a well placed bolt right after using it? I know of an individual that were pro-bolters but converted to anti-bolter and later went back and removed all bolts the individual placed. But this wasn't a 1 hour conversion it was a multi year. (no situations like escape from Sandthrax or bolt aid climbing does not count)

Yeah, looks like Provo to me. I thought it was BYU right below this location.

Quartzite, so, low in Rock Canyon makes sense!

Yea, without a doubt, the mouth of Rock Canyon below Squaw Peak.

For all of you cringing about the bolts - this is a pretty popular place to highline in Rock Canyon and has been for years, with multiple anchors already in place for different lines. The only people who get up there are either finishing up multipitch sport climbs or are highlining. Brian - Rock Canyon isn't wilderness and is pretty bolt friendly.
    You May All Go To Hell And I Will Go To Texas

And...its not a quarry!

I think bolts and wilderness are compatible...just the method of installation makes the topic a bit sticky. The video would benefit in a general sense, methinks, if they didn't show them running the TE-6A. Rigging like that is above most folks' pay grade, anyhow.

Cheers!

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    The video would benefit in a general sense, methinks, if they didn't show them running the TE-6A.
    I've got to agree. someone commented it looked like a product placement and didn't flow well with the video

My sons climb in Rock Canyon constantly. The eldest was just commenting on how many new bolts were on the routes this visit (he went home to Springdale last night). I love the canyon and enjoy climbing, but how many bolts are necessary and appropriate?

I don't think I've set more than 5 bolts in my lifetime.
    You just don't know how fast things can go wrong!

www.parkcitycarservice.com "Just Leave the driving to us"
    866-361-2925

New bolts on new routes, I'd assume. Them Utar county kids stay busy...

I don't think I've placed more than around 150 in a single year...my average in the last few is around 100 per year. Ha ha.

The climbing community tends to self police some of this activity. Usually up to the person who establishes the route. There's gobs of new routes in Utah all the time, and, some come with bolts for protection.

Necessary is in the eye of the beholder, I suppose. Locally here in SLC, an entire crag was "erased" overnight because someone disagreed with the bolts (a few too many next to protectable cracks). 120 removed in one night. Amazing. Caused a bit of a stir to say the least.

The crack lines which take gear, which were obvious and accessible, were done years ago and most of the new routing is on the faces which don't take "trad" type gear, hence the bolts.

Bolt the Planet I say!
    Riverside Mountain Rescue Unit
    http://www.rmru.org/

Personal Website
    http://www.DrunkRedDragon.com/adventures.htm