Thread: Hike Kane Gulch/Butler Wash in December?

Hike Kane Gulch/Butler Wash in December?

Hey everybody,

I'm a new post-er but a longtime reader. I have been hiking in Southern Utah and know the area pretty well. I am a little late this year hiking in Comb Ridge and wanted to go up in two weeks - mid December. Any thoughts on hiking that late in the season?

Last year I was there over the Christmas Holidays and was surprised at how dark it got and how early. There was snow last year and getting dark at about 4:30 was hard to take. I want to be safe.

I was up there in early october but there was a rain storm and couldn't go out for a few days. That figures. I will stay in a hotel in Blanding instead of camping.

Thanks for any suggestions or experiences. I did a search but couldn't find too much information.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

There's no snow in that area now, but that can change quick. If it doesn't snow too much in the next few weeks, you should be fine, but Kane Gulch can get difficult in snow (but not as much as Bullet Canyon).

Lower Fish Creek might be a good alternative if it snows and the route is usually reasonable all winter long.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Re: Hike Kane Gulch/Butler Wash in December?

Butler Wash is almost always hikable, if there is snow or rain you will want to access from the south end. The last 2 miles at the north end of the road becomes undrivable with snow as that section of the road becomes a snotty mud.

Sent using Tapatalk