Thread: Timpie Fork of Shinob Canyon, Capitol Reef NP 11/24/2012

Timpie Fork of Shinob Canyon, Capitol Reef NP 11/24/2012

Timpie Fork of Shinob Canyon, Capitol Reef NP 11/24/2012

Once upon a time, a time that is so far back that there was no one around to remember, the Paiute gods Shinob and Tobats, who gave names to everything that they encountered, came across a great bulk, a great rock that had separated itself from the mountain. They named it Timpie, the rock.

Timpie, the canyon, the middle fork of Shinob Canyon in Capitol Reef National Park, makes for a great half day wander. It is rated 3AI. It took us about 6 hours car to car. For us maybe a 3BII was more like it. We ghosted the first rappel.

Timpie the rock was proud and strong. The gods at first took little notice of Timpie and made fun of him for how simple he seemed. As time went by Timpie became agile and quick. Shinob and Tobats gave him a blanket and leggings with fancy colorful stripes to make up to him once they realized how strong, agile and mighty he had become.

We mistook the shortness of Timpie the canyon for “short and easy”. It starts out easy but it is not a slacker canyon to take too casually. Just the sight from the top of the 275 foot rappel is a sobering experience. Dave hauled a 330 foot 10 mil rope in his pack for the big rappel. This rappel has a lot of crack to it. Our temperament was tested a bit with a hang up of the 300 foot pull cord. The rope pull from the bottom of the 275 foot rappel is the hardest one that I can remember. It took all of us to muscle it down. There are chock stones and a log in that crack that will easily snag a rope. The third rappel had at its bottom a waist deep, icy black pool to wade thru.

Timpie the rock also grew a bad temper over time. Timpie the rock would roll over trees and animals and would leave his striped belongings on the ground. He even attempted to roll over the god Shinob when Shinob attempted to take back the striped clothing. It took y-bru-sats (Night Hawk - another canyon) to save Shinob. Shinob took Timpie’s striped belongings from him and gave them to y-bru-sats. From then on Shinob declared that any rock that pulled free would break into pieces. Shinob also declared that rocks are living things and they can have mean tempers but they are useful if they are put in their places and made to serve man.

Timpie the Canyon is a lot of fun with some fantastic scenery all the way including a great view of Etta Place arch, a great rock that has separated from the mountain.

Thanks to BluuGnome for Beta

Thanks to Dave, Monica and Paul for Pictures

Paiute excerpts are taken from several sources (internet) including “Pauite Legend of the NightHawk”

Doug French
    Attached Images Attached Images                        
    Last edited by french_de; 12-26-2014 at 01:13 PM. Reason: added text originally lost to migration

2. Likes Mountaineer liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nice write up Doug. The rope was 9 mm Bluewater Canyonline. The route to these Shinob canyons is also a route to Fern's Nipple. We did the route a month or so ago and a good amount of route finding was necessary, this time there seemed to be cairns every 10 feet. BluuGnome has a lot of GPS points which can come in handy if the cairns are not there.

Nice TR Doug! Thanks for sharing.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Nice TR, Doug. You might consider writing something for Canyon Tales.

Awesome! We were down there a few weeks ago and did the Nah-Gah Fork, because it looked awesome in your last report. We wanted to do this one, but we didn't have a long enough rope. Excellent report!
    --Cliff

[QUOTE=french_de;518718]
    We mistook the shortness of Timpie the canyon for

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    "We left some pretty blue and black striped webbing around a rock at the top."

Doug - I think of you as part of the solution, but here????

Please Doug. BLACK of GREY webbing only, please.

Tom

I prefer black because it's easier to visualize the degree of UV damage.

11. Likes french_de liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post

Tom
    my last trip with GJ they showed up with a bright orange neon webbing, apparently is the only one they sell over there.
    looks like the emergency color on road crews!!!!!
    my webbing is usually environmentally recycled out of canyon clean up!!!!!

I provide ropes ,others are suppose to provide webbing!!!!!
    probably fiddle stick in my future if i can pass the fear block!!!!!!

top to chockstone less than 200'

yeah checking my picture 2x200' will make to the chockstone!Name:  calculation.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  97.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by hesse15 View Post
    the big rap was a cluster f***k. 2 webbing of different length (black and blue) ,2 different size rings,so both webbing was left but equalized on a single ring no sign of rub and both good shape.

You mean this blue piece of webbing?

Name:  IMGP0044.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  58.6 KB

Hey! I really like that color. I have always been partial to blue, easy to spot, although I m not a BYU fan. Blue is not really a good choice for canyon anchors though is it?. It was the longest piece I had with me that day so that the rap ring was extended as far as possible to the edge. Up to that point it was only used has a hand line in many other canyons.
    I still have about 225 feet of it on a spool, purchased a few years ago.

I also have a 300 foot spool of Pea Green webbing that Tom sold me a couple of years ago. Tom, can I trade that in for one of your new spools of P.C. black or grey? I'd even take a partial credit if possible and I would pay shipping.

So is my blue webbing still there hesse15?

Doug F.
    Don't believe everything you think.

-Borrowed from a bumper sticker I believe

Quote Originally Posted by french_de View Post
    You mean this blue piece of webbing?

Name:  IMGP0044.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  58.6 KB

Hey! I really like that color. I have always been partial to blue, easy to spot, although I m not a BYU fan. Blue is not really a good choice for canyon anchors though is it?. It was the longest piece I had with me that day so that the rap ring was extended as far as possible to the edge. Up to that point it was only used has a hand line in many other canyons.
    I still have about 225 feet of it on a spool, purchased a few years ago.

I also have a 300 foot spool of Pea Green webbing that Tom sold me a couple of years ago. Tom, can I trade that in for one of your new spools of P.C. black or grey? I'd even take a partial credit if possible and I would pay shipping.

So is my blue webbing still there hesse15?

Doug F.
    Doug the blue webbing was not weighted so i was able to open the knot at the rapide easily,so must be the newer, the black was more sinched down unless somebody come after you and added the black (each has a rapide ) and prefer to use it instead because was slightly shorter?
    i did not see sunbleached signs at all so seems strange could be yours.
    i know you are suppose to leave 1 but considering is a high traffic canyon i prefer leave the webbing in place, i only cleaned the top walk around because was a very s***y anchor from a 1,5inches diameter dead little tree and also could confuse people thinking that is were the big rap start like one person in my group was thinking!!!!

Doug the blue webbing was not weighted so i was able to open the knot at the rapide easily,so must be the newer, the black was more sinched down unless somebody come after you and added the black (each has a rapide ) and prefer to use it instead because was slightly shorter?
    i did not see sunbleached signs at all so seems strange could be yours.
    i know you are suppose to leave 1 but considering is a high traffic canyon i prefer leave the webbing in place, i only cleaned the top walk around because was a very s***y anchor from a 1,5inches diameter dead little tree and also could confuse people thinking that is were the big rap start like one person in my group was thinking!!!!
    I am assuming that means that the blue webbing is still there? We down climbed the top walk around and did not use webbing there. Was my blue webbing still attached to a large dead man pile of rocks a ways back from the edge.? One of my canyoneering partners reminded me that we did not leave any black webbing.
    If I understand you correctly, you found that rappel to be as tricky as we did..

I am assuming that means that the blue webbing is still there? We down climbed the top walk around and did not use webbing there. Was my blue webbing still attached to a large dead man pile of rocks a ways back from the edge.? One of my canyoneering partners reminded me that we did not leave any black webbing.
    If I understand you correctly, you found that rappel to be as tricky as we did..
    no the webbing were both around the tree so must not be yours

no the webbing were both around the tree so must not be yours
    Yikes. We saw those trees and opted not to use them. Credit for our anchor goes to my brother in law Dave who built the dead man rock anchor far enough back from the edge. The top of that rappel slopes downward to the edge so that the anchor needed to be a good distance from the edge and down in a depression. I don't think a sandtrap would work very well there. Do you? We also did not like the other anchor point so much. I think it was shorter and higher up off the wall but it was in a crack or flake, right?

Yikes. We saw those trees and opted not to use them. Credit for our anchor goes to my brother in law Dave who built the dead man rock anchor far enough back from the edge. The top of that rappel slopes downward to the edge so that the anchor needed to be a good distance from the edge and down in a depression. I don't think a sandtrap would work very well there. Do you? We also did not like the other anchor point so much. I think it was shorter and higher up off the wall but it was in a crack or flake, right?
    so if we are talking about the big rap there were some good size rocks 10'above the drop that could be used as anchor too.

Iam not a fan of sandtrap unless is life/death situtation too much operator errors chance.
    most of sandtrapper are light weight high skilled females (last person down).
    more risky for deuce people not so nice on rappels!

the tree was ok beside been 15' away ( but that was my good example for the person i asked to show up with 100' of webbing and showed up with only 2' thinking was OK)

sand trap will not be good because is sliding downhill, i think the trap need to be against a lip to be stop from sliding .

Bolts definetly will help prevent grooves for all ! But i really like shiny metal as personal preference.
    and yeah i built "natural" anchors before and i can rap from minimal ones if i have too, still think for highly traffic canyon like this one is better to put "dummy proof "anchors (bolts and rings)!!!!!

I

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    "We left some pretty blue and black striped webbing around a rock at the top."

Doug - I think of you as part of the solution, but here????

Tom
    completely agree.

I do like blue though. It is going to be hard not to use my remaining 225 foot spool of it. And I will stay away from temptations like this....

Name:  blue and green webbing.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  31.6 KB

21. Likes Udink liked this post

Doug, how on earth do you find the time to do these trips? Did your business deal in St George fall through to hades?

Great TR .

Quote Originally Posted by Rob L View Post
    Doug, how on earth do you find the time to do these trips? Did your business deal in St George fall through to hades?

Great TR .
    Hello Rob. By the way, I had a blast doing the T not T's with you and Justin. It was a great day in Arches. I try to slip trips in every which way I can. When you reach a certain age a certain amount of desperation sets in because some day the opportunities and the capabilities will be gone.... sooner than later.

Uh... my St. George trip was supposed to be highly confidential. Now it has gone to Hades!. Just kidding . We are still in the process looking for Disaster Recovery sites so it is still ongoing.