Thread: Rubys Ladder Route in Sevenmile Canyon-gone

Rubys Ladder Route in Sevenmile Canyon-gone

We went to the old Rubys Ladder Route in Upper Sevenmile Canyon (the Moab one, not the Powell one) yesterday and found that the upper ladder had collapsed. You can still climb down in at least two places, but the route is much more difficult now.

Makes me feel old. Many of the old "historic routes" and objects are now gone. Swaseys Leap Bridge, Chaffin Ranch, the Knotted Rope, much of the old Tomsich Butte stuff, and now the Rubys Ladders. I hear much of the old Art Murrys Cable Bypass Route has collapsed too.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries

Rubys Ladder Route in Sevenmile Canyon-gone

There was a ladder in knotted rope once? Where at?
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Do you, or anyone else, happen to have any pics of the ladder? I sure would like to see what it looked like.

There was a ladder in knotted rope once?
    No. There was a big knotted rope.

Do you, or anyone else, happen to have any pics of the ladder?
    I should have taken photos this time since the lower level was still intact. I don't know why I didn't. Shane Burrows was with us and I think he took photos.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Re: Rubys Ladder Route in Sevenmile Canyon-gone

I'll post some pics when I get to my computer.

Sent using Tapatalk

If there is interest in these ladders I'll put together a route description. From what I have been able to learn so far it appears the ladders and cable tramway were built by Glen Ruby in 1903. I'm not sure what the system was used for but I'm guessing the cable tramway was used to bring water up to the canyon rim because the tramway bottoms out next to a spring. I assume the ladders were used to service the tramway.

Name:  Ruby's Ladders 1.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  121.6 KB

Name:  Ruby's Ladders 2.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  80.9 KB

Name:  Ruby's Ladders 10.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  170.6 KB

Name:  Ruby's Ladders 11.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  126.4 KB

8. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    From what I have been able to learn so far it appears the ladders and cable tramway were built by Glen Ruby in 1903. I'm not sure what the system was used for but I'm guessing the cable tramway was used to bring water up to the canyon rim because the tramway bottoms out next to a spring.
    I found out some more.

Glen Ruby used the water for oil drilling and he was among the first to drill in the region. He was also a geologist and made several early oil survey maps:

http://findingaid.lib.byu.edu/viewItem/MSS%204180

Glen Ruby was also the one whom accidentally created Crystal Geyser when attempting to drill for oil.

10. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Great photos and history.

This thread has certainly enlightened me to take all the photos I can of anything historical I come across, because you just never know if it will be there next time.

12. Likes Tango liked this post
    I have created a route description for Ruby's Ladder and Cable Tramway.

http://climb-utah.com/Moab/rubyladder.htm

It's worth the 15 minutes it takes to visit if you are in the area.

14. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post