Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Moab Bogley Winterfest?

Groupon deal (we already paid for it) needs to be used before end of February. We have work obligations for the rest of February, so can't make it work.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I've set up a work meeting and a delivery of materials that I'm hauling up there on Friday so I will be there no matter if it gets changed or not.

I'm in with my brother for this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    From my prospective it would be much better to move this back two weeks...Thoughts?
    I moved my reservations at the BW to night of 21 checking out 24 a few weeks ago due to a shedule conflict. So, I'll be there that weekend regardless of what anyone else decides to do.

Forecast for this weekend doesn't look great:

Friday A chance of rain and snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 45.Friday Night A chance of rain and snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 21.
    Saturday A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 34.
    Saturday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 15.
    Sunday Mostly sunny, with a high near 34

Also, with respect to the Groupon deal, I asked the BW what weekends were available and the weekend of 15/16 Feb. wasn't. But, that last weekend was: nights of 22/23 Feb. They rebooked me and sent a new confirmation number.

Now i am unable to make it. maybe next time. have fun all. be safe

We are out also....

Because of family issues and the weather forecast I rebooked for the nights of Feb 22 & 23.

I could do either weekend, but who is in for this weekend?

So as to not leave anyone hanging I could lead some canyons this weekend, but the catch is I don't think I could lead the stuff in the Fiery Furnace. I haven't done those canyons for 10 years and don't think I could find the approach.

If not many people are going this weekend, I'll change my hotel to February 22-24, but feel free to speak up if you are dead set on this weekend.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Hey all. New to the forum (hence the 'FNG' name ) Google'd Utah hiking forums this morning and seems that y'all are a pretty fun group of people. Trying to venture out to new places and people and came across this adventure trip, which seems pretty simple and low key. I love most of everything outdoors, I just dont have any gear i.e. ropes, spikes, harness, or anything like that. Just the clothes on my back and some hiking boots. Is there anything required for this?

I'm looking at going the 22-23rd.

Quote Originally Posted by FNG View Post
    Is there anything required for this?
    Below is a short list of what is expected of people showing up at a "fest" that involves technical canyons.

There is no cost for this trip, we are just a bunch of friends meeting to do canyons together, this is not a class or a guided trip! If you lack rappelling skills find someone to take you out to practice before the Bogleyfest. In the slot is not the time to learn to rappel. This means you know how to clip in and rappel without help, you do not 'freak-out' on long or awkward rappels, you can at least dog paddle if your route contains water. If you feel you need help in the canyons let someone know.... but ultimately.... YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY!

Equipment:
    Everyone is responsible for a harness, two locking biners, and a rappel devise that you know how to use! Helmets are advised, (bicycle helmets work for noobs).

Most Moab area canyons are dry, but some routes are wet... its up to you to know the difference and prepare properly. If the route is wet a full wetsuit is required this time of year. You will also want a dry bag to keep anything you want to stay dry in. If you need equipment post and maybe someone else can help you out.

Canyoneering Gear
    http://climb-utah.com/Misc/gear.htm

Rope: We need several folks to bring ropes.

Below is a short list of what is expected of people showing up at a "fest" that involves technical canyons.
    Yes, good list, and I would also add that if anyone doesn't have technical experience, but wanted to come anyway, there are still plenty of non technical things to do in the area as well.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Scott, myself and my brother will be in Moab Fri-Sun. We are experienced, but were originally hoping to explore Fiery Furnace. We would be willing to explore other areas.
    The weather is also looking a bit better than it did a week ago.

I'm going to have to eject also.

Rescheduled for the 22 -23

Since almost everyone else has changed, I changed my reservation as well. I am now going 22-23.

Okjay, maybe some other time. If you need some beta for this weekend, let me know.

Thanks for the info. I've done some rappelling but it was roughly 5 years ago and only a few times. If anyone is willing to assist me and learning the "ropes" of canyoneering I would be greatful, and likely buy you beers that night!?? I also plan on going down to Canyon Sports and having them teach me what I need to know. I'm quick to learn new things and dont have a fear of much. If so I plan on getting some gear so I can join y'all on the 22nd.

I think based on the mud today and the snow-rain forecast for the next few days a re-schedule looks prudent. A bunch of us will have to miss it the last weekend of the month as we have a canyoneering skills practice that has long been on the calander that weekend in Grand Junction.

Fun and best wishes to all who will be enjoying Moab and surrounds,

BTW here is a link to our event in GJ the same weekend http://www.meetup.com/WesternSlopeAd...ents/98093862/

Hey Scott I see that you live in Craig, CO. Check out this group which does a lot of canyoneering and is based in GJ, right along your way to UT. We are free to join and lots of fun. http://www.meetup.com/WesternSlopeAd...ents/98093862/