Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Moab Bogley Winterfest?

Re: Moab Bogley Winterfest?

I'll make specific canyon plans about a week out when we know who is coming and who is capable of leading what. I'm easy and plan to help where I can do the most good.

Sent using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

This Bogleyfest appeals to me, because I haven't been to Utah in February, but I have a prior engagement at the same time (non-Canyoneering) in Krak

First time poster here. My fiance and I love Moab and are planning on coming. We're fairly new to canyoneering. I read a lot, but I need to gain some XP . Can't wait!

Welcome to bogley.

Sent using Tapatalk

Winter Fest - will there be any registration, canyon sign-ups?

If we are not staying at the Best Western how, where will connections get made?

Headed to Moab this New Years weekend too.

Quote Originally Posted by DougInGJCO View Post
    This Moab fest will be very informal. We will probably designated a place to meet each morning and go from there. That has worked great in the past.

We have tried the formal canyon sign-ups and such in the past and that system falls apart almost instantly when people meet and start mingling.

Sent using Tapatalk

Hi all!
    My name is Sal Ciro and I'm very new to the Bogley Community. I wanted to say that a group of about a dozen (so far) advanced beginner-intermediate canyoneers from the Western Slope Adventurer meetup group are planning to attend and would make good participants but do not know the routes. Friday and Saturday would be the target dates. Would anyone be willing and commit in advance to lead Lo, Krill, Rock Ages, etc.? Thanks.
    Best, be safe.
    Sal

Might hop down for dinner one niteand meet a few of ya'll

Just found out I have a Hockey Tournament that weekend. Have to bail.

Hello All,
    So, today I ask, Shane and others . .. . do you know of canyons I do not know that may be snow and ice free that may make a trip to Moab worthwhile Feb. 8-10?

On January 23rd the bike gang at Poison Spider sent an email letting me know the ground in their area was still 90% covered with snow. I live in Fruita, CO and our ground was 100% covered at that time.

Now, after a warm storm passing through, our ground is 90% snow covered so I am guessing Moab and it's higher reaches is probably still snow clad also. Temperatures are due to barely reach 32, if that for the coming week with single digit night-time lows.

We were in Fiery Furnace over New Year's weekend and at that time access to Lomation was guarded by icy slabs within the fins. Granted, had all in our party had ice grippers (Kahtoola Micro-Spikes preferred) we might have passed some of the ice but at what cost - spike marks and slides on the rock. That is hardly the way for canyoneers to treat an area that thousands of people visit every year; and, the Park Service may limit our use of if we do not show adequate stewardship?

Additional info -- Tierdrop and many others of that sort are north facing so even last year, an almost snow-less year on Moab red rock, visits by our group of canyoneers found some of those were icy and potentially treacherous; again, made safer but less environmentally wise if all were wearing ice grippers.

So, back to the original question, who knows of canyons that might be accessed and 'safe' this time of year, this unique winter?

I was thinking the same thing and was going to post.

Arches is beautiful in the snow, but as mentioned technical canyons may be sketchy if the weather doesn't change.

Either way, there is always good stuff to do in Moab, even with snow.

There are a few technical canyons that might be OK in the snow as well. Skiing/snowshoeing in the La Sals as well. Horse Bottom along Potash Road is usually a good one to visit when the area is snowy and should be a safe route.

Here are the Moab webcams and it does look snowy:

http://moablive.com/webcam.asp
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Shane/Scott + all,
    Bruce here,long time Moab local.
    Re. conditions we have just had 48 hrs above freezing w/rain. A lot of snow now gone except on N & NE aspects. Calling for warmer by weeks end.
    Would love to tie -in w/you to meet & greet but rehabbing Rotator Cuff 6-8 wks.
    Let me know if there is anything I can do to aid the cause.
    Bruce

We're going to Moab for something to do, exactly what we do is of little importance to my family. If the canyons are not doable we will switch to arch bagging or rock art and ruins.... to me it's all good...

That and I'm not worried about snow as the trip is still two weeks away and a lot can happened in that time.

Anyhoo... we will have fun with or without you, snow or no snow....

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Unless something major comes up we are still in also

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    We're going to Moab for something to do, exactly what we do is of little importance to my family. If the canyons are not doable we will switch to arch bagging or rock art and ruins.... to me it's all good...

That and I'm not worried about snow as the trip is still two weeks away and a lot can happened in that time.

Anyhoo... we will have fun with or without you, snow or no snow....

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3
    As of now, I'm not going to make it...but it sounds like I can jump back in if things change. Have fun!
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

So far my wife and I are in. Kind of depends on road conditions the day of our drive. Coming from western Montana.

Good news (from a canyoneering standpoint):

Most of the snow has melted around Moab and Arches. Temperatures tomorrow through Friday are supposed to be in the mid-40's though low 50's.

Bad news (from a canyoneering standpoint):

Another storm might hit this weekend, starting Friday night:

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...2=-109.549&e=0

PS, is anyone interesting in doing some climbing in Wall Street on one of the days?
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Here we are, a week (a little less) out, Shane. With the boggy nature of the ground I heard about in Moab yesterday and what I experienced today right behind Fruita, CO in the same or similar rock formations, I am wondering if this event is a 'GO'?

If it is, can you share some plans on what'll be happening.

You mentioned wanting to know who can lead what; I have done just about all the area trade routes found on Climb-Utah and can lead any of those for Bogley Fest canyoneers if the mud is not an event killer. I plan to come over maybe Friday night or early Satruday morning. Would we meet at your hotel? Or do you have another suggested rendevous spot for each morning?

From my prospective it would be much better to move this back two weeks. I have two reasons for doing so... the first is the weather is supposed to suck this weekend, second item is I have both my kids home from school sick today and I'm not sure how they will be doing by the weekend. The weather I can live with, but it's not much fun if part of your group is sick.

Thoughts?

Is it easy for all of us to change the hotel date? Someone should call and see if we can change the hotel date.