Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Moab Bogley Winterfest?

Moab Bogley Winterfest?

This first post will be updated until noon Friday (Feb 22).

I'm not making any promises with regards to the Fiery Furnace routes. Those that signed up and made this happen back in November through the Groupon deal will be given first priority. Group size is limited in the Firey Furnace.

We'll be down Saturday and Sunday (February 23 & 24) and staying at the Canyonlands Bestwestern. We will meet in the BW parking lot Saturday morning at 8:30 a.m. I'll be easy to find as I'll be sorting gear on the tailgate of a white Toyota Tacoma.

With the exception of ropes, the Moab routes all take about the same gear and time commitment (4 to 5 hours). The one exception would be Granary Canyon which is a full day.

If someone was going to lead Granary (I'm not), they would need to met earlier and plan the trip out beforehand.

We will be in Moab Friday afternoon (6:00 ish).

Currently we have someone to lead the Firey Furnace Saturday (Moab Mark) and Sunday (Iceaxe) conditions permitting.

Everyone should met ready to roll with the exception of ropes. If you have ropes bring them as some of the routes (Lomatium) require lots of rope.

Everyone is welcome provided you finish reading this post and believe you meet the requirements.

Below is a short list of what is expected of people showing up at a "fest" that involves technical canyons.

There is no cost for this trip, we are just a bunch of friends meeting to do canyons together, this is not a class or a guided trip! If you lack rappelling skills find someone to take you out to practice before the Bogleyfest. In the slot is not the time to learn to rappel. This means you know how to clip in and rappel without help, you do not 'freak-out' on long or awkward rappels, you can at least dog paddle if your route contains water. If you feel you need help in the canyons let someone know.... but ultimately.... YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY!

Equipment:
    Everyone is responsible for a harness, two locking biners, and a rappel devise that you know how to use! Helmets are advised, (bicycle helmets work for noobs).

Most Moab area canyons are dry, but some routes are wet... its up to you to know the difference and prepare properly. If the route is wet a full wetsuit is required this time of year. You will also want a dry bag to keep anything you want to stay dry in. If you need equipment post and maybe someone else can help you out.

Canyoneering Gear
    http://climb-utah.com/Misc/gear.htm

Rope: We need several folks to bring ropes.

____ Original First Post Below ____

I'm thinking maybe we should do a Moab Bogley Winterfest, what do you think? I know all the routes (including Lomatium and Krill) and I'm happy show others. I also know of some amazing rock art that few others are aware of. This might be the perfect time to get your wife/GF (but not both at the same time) interested in the sport. Warm comfortable bed, drinks at the pool, nice dinners and fun canyons.....

The reason I thought it might work is Groupon has a really good deal for the Moab Bestwestern Canyonlands going right now. This is one of the better/best motels in Moab and it's $59 a night between now and the end of February. They have a covered pool and hot tub, which makes the evenings a little more fun for a group. The deal also includes breakfest.

Groupon Bestwestern Moab Deal

Anyhoo.... I bought a 2 night deal and will be down to Moab so if anyone else is interested lets see what we can put together. You have until midnight Monday to purchase the deal. I'm pretty open on the dates at the moment, but after the first of the year is preferred. You could save a few bucks by staying elsewhere and booking at the Bestwestern is not a requirement of the Bogleyfest if it is to happen. I just thought it might be a good chance to get everyone in one place.

So lets make it happen....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

My January and feb are pretty open. Been to Moab tons of times but have never done any canyons. I will do everything I can to make it whatever weekend is chosen

My wife and I game, just let us know what weekend.

I'll go, but I'm in Nepal December 8 through January 4, so it would have to be outside that time period.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Re: Moab Bogley Winterfest?

February 9 (Sat.) & 10 (Sun.)

Book nights of 8th (Fri) and 9th (Sat).

That gives everyone plenty of time to make it work. If you are going to use the Groupon deal you have to purchase it before midnight Monday.

On other item, if you buy the Groupon deal you must make your reservation before January 11th to get the $59.

Sent using Tapatalk

OK, we're in.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

I've never been to Moab, but have been wanting to get some canyons in during the winter months..would there be any places nearby for some less than rich college guys to camp? This trip sounds completely possible unless I get booked for a recruiting assignment.
    better off outdoors

I can't commit yet, but I am very interested and am going to try.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

I'm interested as well and will have to check my calendar. I've been to Moab perhaps a hundred times but have yet to visit any of the canyons so I'm hyped to go.
    - Mike Dege (aka tuffshed)
    mike@LizardRanch.com

We might join in - gotta check the work calendar.
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

14. Likes carolednalena liked this post
    My wife & I are interested.

How do you get the Moab deal? Nothing for Moab comes up for me.

Edit: Found it. Had to Google the specific deal to do so. Now that it is purchased though, it says it expires January 13 2013?

Try this link:

Canyonlands Bestwestern $59

The deal ends at midnight.

Alright... We are all booked for the nights of February 8th (Fri) and 9th (Sat). It was simple, just buy the groupon, print it out, call the number on the coupon and make the resevation.

Those staying else where you are on your own for lodging and hooking up. There is lots of BLM camping along the Colorado River.

Quote Originally Posted by Felicia View Post
    We might join in - gotta check the work calendar.
    Booked!
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

Hmmm...could always do a half day of ice climbing too if Pleades is in, and/or ski the La Sals.

Reservations are made, looking forward to the trip.

Re: Moab Bogley Winterfest?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Edit: Found it. Had to Google the specific deal to do so. Now that it is purchased though, it says it expires January 13 2013?
    You must make your reservation before January 13th and it has to be used before February 28th to get the $59 room.

Sent using Tapatalk

23. Likes Brian in SLC liked this post