Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Moab Bogley Winterfest?

The evolving forecast:

Friday Mostly sunny, with a high near 46. West wind 5 to 10 mph.
    Friday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 21.
    Saturday A chance of rain and snow after 11am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 48. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
    Saturday Night A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 23.
    Sunday Mostly sunny, with a high near 39.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Lomatium in the snow... February 2012

Name:  moabsnow.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  66.9 KB

Name:  moabsnow2.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  85.3 KB

Shane
    I see that you plan on Rock of Ages on Saturday. Are you still willing to take some people through Lomatium and Krill? I dont think many know the route.

I'm trying to work it out so we have a firey furnace trip Saturday and Sunday. Hopefully that gets everyone through that wants to go in a reasonable size group. I need someone to step up and lead either the Saturday or Sunday group. I do have one person that might do it but nothing for sure yet.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

I got it worked out I'll be there. I can do either day. Lomatium or krill or both I'm easy.

Cool I would like to both if possible. I dont care what day. Thanks

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

If you have an efficient group you can do both in one day.

Hey all,

Will anyone be around Friday. I would like to make a long day of it and try U- turn with my little guy, then hang out for some meetin' and greetin' before buzzing home. I can make town before lunch. I don't know if I have enough posts for Pm's so we may need to hash it out here.

I'm newish to the canyons. Climbing since '75. Vertical caving and alpine experience.
    Little guy is 6 and seems confident on the rope.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

30% chance of snow and rain Saturday, but not bad:

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...84532%2C%20USA
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

For any lurking noobs, I've got enough gear and rope to lead this route and offer belays on the raps. Let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Miner bill View Post
    For any lurking noobs, I've got enough gear and rope to lead this route and offer belays on the raps. Let me know.
    Anyone is welcome.... provided you have read this entire post.

When we say lead that means you have done the route before and can repeat it without getting everyone lost. Experienced canyoneers are always more than welcome to help round out a group and provide experience and safety.

Below is a short list of what is expected of people showing up at a "fest" that involves technical canyons.

There is no cost for this trip, we are just a bunch of friends meeting to do canyons together, this is not a class or a guided trip! If you lack rappelling skills find someone to take you out to practice before the Bogleyfest. In the slot is not the time to learn to rappel. This means you know how to clip in and rappel without help, you do not 'freak-out' on long or awkward rappels, you can at least dog paddle if your route contains water. If you feel you need help in the canyons let someone know.... but ultimately.... YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY!

Equipment:
    Everyone is responsible for a harness, two locking biners, and a rappel devise that you know how to use! Helmets are advised, (bicycle helmets work for noobs).

Most Moab area canyons are dry, but some routes are wet... its up to you to know the difference and prepare properly. If the route is wet a full wetsuit is required this time of year. You will also want a dry bag to keep anything you want to stay dry in. If you need equipment post and maybe someone else can help you out.

Canyoneering Gear
    http://climb-utah.com/Misc/gear.htm

Rope: We need several folks to bring ropes.

Everything you need to know is now in the first post of this thread. I'll keep it updated until noon Friday (Feb 22).

Conditions permitting.... we will have Moab Mark to lead the Firey Furnace on Saturday and Iceaxe to lead it Sunday.

Got to start them somewhere.

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...ith-young-kids

I hope anyone that wanted to go would have read the guidelines. I thought this could be a nice warm-up for more challenging adventures Saturday and Sunday. I know it is difficult with a noob to the boards offering up help, but I can assure you all that my outdoor and rope handling skills are beyond solid. The offer was not made lightly. I hope the outcome of the weekend is that new people are met and maybe new friends made.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Miner bill View Post
    The offer was not made lightly. I hope the outcome of the weekend is that new people are met and maybe new friends made.
    Friends and fun... You have come to the right place.

With regards to offering help, I was confused if you were offering rope skills or route knowledge. Both are very valuable at a Bogleyfest and always welcome.

I have a small group (6) coming down to do canyons in Moab this weekend. I just barely found out about the fest this weekend. We are planning to try the canyons on the east side of the park Sat. (Undercover, MMI etc.) We would like to meet up Sun for a little fiery furnace action on Sun.

(I have read the entire thread.) We have plenty of gear. Holler if you need ropes or anything else.

just curious if anyone decided to do any ice down there?

Quote Originally Posted by shae View Post
    I have a small group (6) coming down to do canyons in Moab this weekend. I just barely found out about the fest this weekend. We are planning to try the canyons on the east side of the park Sat. (Undercover, MMI etc.) We would like to meet up Sun for a little fiery furnace action on Sun.
    If you have a group of six you are probably on your own with regards to the Furnace. I believe FF groups are limited to 10 max (maybe 12) if I recall correctly and I believe those that signed on back in November should be given first preference.

FWIW - group size is something we want to be careful with as it is at the top of Arches NP new management which has yet to be finalized.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Packed up and ready to go!