Thread: Over and Under or Side by Side the best?

Over and Under or Side by Side the best?

Many people are using Double Barrels these days. What are
    your thoughts on them and differences between the two?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LxU7i_GVeQ

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Over Under = My fav.
    Riverside Mountain Rescue Unit
    http://www.rmru.org/

Personal Website
    http://www.DrunkRedDragon.com/adventures.htm

Re: Over and Under or Side by Side the best?

I own several O/U's and they are sweet. S/S are pretty much a dying style and are not manufacturered by the top gun makers or if they do its only in one style. A S/S is like shooting looking over a cows ass compared to an O/U.

I really like Browning's as they are bulletproof compared to everything else, no matter the price range. My family has owned everything over the years as both my dad and step mom have won national titles in skeet and sporting clays (I won a couple sporting clay state championships).

Sent using Tapatalk

The O/U is really the way to go anymore when it comes to a double barrelled shotty. I've owned and hunted with both and found the SxS to require more thought during the leading process prior to squeezing the trigger. The O/U was always more enjoyable and less work.

A side by side is generally speaking lighter weight, quicker swinging and pointing, and more expensive to build and to buy. Because of the expense not very many manufacturers offer a side by side. The over and under shotguns or easier to build and are cheaper to buy. Traditional upland hunters usually prefer side by sides while skeet shooters use over and under shotguns. My favorite is the winchester model 21 grand american and royal exhibition grades. A shotgun is the only gun that I have seen being made custome fit to a specific person. If money is no object check out the holland and holland or Purdy models. With all that has been said, the best shotgun is the one that you enjoy shooting personally. If I were to buy and over and under, I would look for a 1980's browning citori made in Japan for around 1000.00.

Quote Originally Posted by REDFOX View Post
    A side by side is generally speaking lighter weight, quicker swinging and pointing, and more expensive to build and to buy. Because of the expense not very many manufacturers offer a side by side. The over and under shotguns or easier to build and are cheaper to buy..
    Actually you have that backwards.... all things being equal.... the O/U is more expensive to build and buy. The S/S Browning has always been cheaper than the O/U, The S/S SKB has always been cheaper than the O/U, The S/S Perrazi has always been cheaper than the O/U, yada, yada.... the cost has to do with aligning the barrels which is more expensive on the O/U.

Quote Originally Posted by REDFOX View Post
    , I would look for a 1980's browning citori made in Japan for around 1000.00.
    If buying a Citori you want one with the Invector Plus chokes which they didn't start using until 1989. Before that they used Invector choke tubes and before that (70's and 80's) they used fixed chokes. Also the newer Citori's have back-bored barrel's (barrels are overbored slightly) which helps a scatter gun pattern better.

You can have an older Citori fitted with Invector Chokes, but it costs about $100 a barrel plus you have to buy the chokes at $50 a pop (a used Citori should come with at least 3 chokes). Personally I use Briley Chokes to replace the Browning chokes which run about $75 a pop. But that is not a requirement unless you are shooting at a highly competitive level.

But bottomline.... you will not go wrong buying a Citori.

Mossberg Silver Reserve II

Selling for about $565

Does anyone have any experience with one like this Turkish made Mossberg or any other bargain shotgun of Eastern European origin?

My personal preference.

Your safety is not my responsibility.

10. Likes oldno7, Sandstone Addiction, DOSS liked this post
    I don't think very highly of Mossberg shotguns. I wouldn't except one if someone tried to give me one. If you are looking for a decent over and under that is new and under a 1000.00 you might consider CZ.

Over and Under or Side by Side the best?

I've hunted with a Browning side by side BSS and a Beretta silver pigeon. FWIW, I simply don't miss with the Beretta. The browning just didn't have right feel for me. I prefer OAU.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    If you want a great mid range O/U, the Ruger Red Label is a fine shooter!!!

I've shot thousands of rounds through mine with zero problems, mostly sporting clays.

And since it isn't incredibly spendy--it's going pheasant hunting with me again, tomorrow.(read--not afraid to use outside a controlled environment)

now, if you have Shanes money--you probably keep several Red Labels rattling around in the back of your truck for jack handles.

AND--buys Mossbergs just for kindling.......

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    If you want a great mid range O/U, the Ruger Red Label is a fine shooter!!
    Nothing wrong with a Red Label. There is a pretty good deal on KSL on a ruger right now. Supposed to be like new and comes with two skeet chokes (a $100 value). It also says best offer so if you could talk him down a $100 bucks it becomes even a better deal.

FWIW: The KSL deal comes with the orginal box. I always save my orginal box, including the shipping box (I have an FFL). When you go to resale a gun it is worth more if you have the box. On something like a Red Label it adds about $50 to the price of the gun. It also makes a gun much easier to sale when you can put it back in the orginal box complete with tags as it makes a better presentation to a buyer.

And since it isn't incredibly spendy--it's going pheasant hunting with me again, tomorrow.(read--not afraid to use outside a controlled environment)
    Here is my pheasant and dove gun. It's a 20 ga. SKB 685 with 28" barrels. I love this gun.

Name:  2012-11-29_10-34-55_HDR.jpg
Views: 2003
Size:  88.2 KB

Name:  2012-11-29_10-33-29_HDR.jpg
Views: 1503
Size:  63.3 KB

Name:  2012-11-29_10-34-26_HDR.jpg
Views: 1123
Size:  93.8 KB

18. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    If you want a great mid range O/U, the Ruger Red Label is a fine shooter!!!
    If buying American is important to you, the Ruger Red Label is (correct me if I'm mistaken) the only over/under shotgun made by American craftsmen.