Thread: The Thanksgiving Curse - Dave's turn in the hospital

The Thanksgiving Curse - Dave's turn in the hospital

3 years in a row now, one of our riding group has landed in the hospital due to mountain biking injury the week of Thanksgiving.

This year, it happened tonight to our buddy Dave Miller. We were actually planning on flying down to St George in his plane this week and do some riding.

From what I gather he was riding with his son tonight on the Ogden Bonneville Shoreline Trail and the accident happened hear the "Rock" overlooking the golf course at 29th street. It sounds like he broke his leg beneath the knee. I'm waiting to hear more details then I'll head up an see him. Paramedics are currently hiking him down.

Here's Dave and Mark, and along with me, we're the three turkeys 3 years in a row.

Name:  149864_543733202306962_1748865219_n.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  51.7 KB

More details to follow.

My crash last year Thanksgiving week in Arizona:

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...ital-MTB-Crash

And Mark's crash a year ago before that, Thanksgiving week down in St George:

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...aw-Poppy-Trail

Name:  76758_1543877109890_1872825_n.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  42.0 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Oh man that sucks. Good hell.

I'm not sure who had the worst injury...all bad.

I just spoke with his son who was riding with him. He says his leg below the knee was going the wrong way. I asked if it could just be a hyper extension of the knee, but nope, the leg had a clean break 90 degrees.

We need MORE details...

Re: The Thanksgiving Curse - Dave's turn in the hospital

What a pussy... walk it off...

Sent using Tapatalk

David I hope that you have a speedy recovery.

Break a leg Dave...oh wait.

Only pic so far. Surgery in the morning at 7 am. He is in room 2120 at McKay Dee. I'll be stopping by tomorrow. Snapped both the tibia and fibula

Name:  29566_554258241254458_77642142_n.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  81.0 KB

Nooooooo!!!!!

Ouch ouch Ouch...
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

I just saw him today, waiting for surgery today this afternoon. They'll give him a metal plate down his shin. He will most likely be released tomorrow.

I got the full story from him. He and his son started from Rainbow Gardens and headed up to the rocky point above 29th street trailhead. They turned around right there and just a few seconds into the ride downhill, Dave's wheel went off the trail at that really skinny part just 30 feet from the rocky point, the part of the trail that's being held up by a 4X4 beam.

He goes off and his right leg gets caught between two rocks on the fall, and snap.

He is upside down in the steep brush and his leg is pointing the wrong way. His son Nathan notices the leg and Dave has him call 911.

Dave sets his leg himself while head first downhill.

Fortunately there is a trail runner nearby who is able to help turn Dave around. I've heard the name Josh Wilde, if that is so, thanks Josh. He is able to eventually take Dave's bike down.

But before that, the paramedics have one HELL of a time finding them. Dave waited for about an hour and a half, freezing after dark. It sounds like they headed up the wrong trail, and at one point they were at the "water tanks" when they should have headed up near the spring by Taylor Canyon.

I was talking to Mark on the phone and he was in the parking lot below, he was getting Dave's truck. He was looking up on the hill and saying they haven't found him yet, but maybe they had because the flashlights he was seeing were way too high, that maybe it was a group of climbers.

When I started this thread he was still up on the hill waiting for paramedics even for another hour. His family beat him to the hospital by about an hour and a half.

Anyway, Dave eventually made it to the hospital and he's just chilling on pain meds in his room, waiting for his surgery.

Here's the spot:

The surgery went well. Hoping to see him out of there today.