Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lomatium Canyon -- Arches National Park

Lomatium Canyon -- Arches National Park

Lomatium Canyon

This weekend Peakbagger met up with me and let me tag along with him as he and his family did Lomatium Canyon in the Fiery Furnace. It was an amazing canyon, and it was so great to meet up with @peakbagger. This world needs more people like him! I can't thank him enough for being willing to show me the route through the Fiery Furnace.

Good fun was had by all. Enjoy the pictures!

I only see the sun rise when I am going on a canyoneering trip! Otherwise I am always sleeping in my bed till 10am! gah!

The beautiful Fiery Furnace! Always a good time had hiking in there!

Skull Arch! Love this arch!

Surprise Arch! another favorite of mine in the Furnace!

Yes, that is me wearing my Bogley shirt. It was a gift by winning the recent photo contest! THANK YOU BOGLEY!

Abby Arch!

Pretty awesome rap! Very scenic canyon! That is Peakbagger on Rappel.

Peakbaggers son on rappel!

What a pretty way to end a afternoon of canyoneering!
    Last edited by Kuya; 11-20-2012 at 01:26 PM. Reason: added video
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

2. Likes DiscGo liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nice TR! That is a cool route. In fact, I'm taking my friend through there in two weeks. Man, I can't wait.

*glances at the clock on the wall, which appears to be moving slower than normal*

Bob
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

5. Likes Kuya, ratagonia liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    Nice TR! That is a cool route. In fact, I'm taking my friend through there in two weeks. Man, I can't wait.

*glances at the clock on the wall, which appears to be moving slower than normal*

Bob
    LUCKY!!! I would go again in a heartbeat!
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

Nice pictures. I would like to do that canyon sometime. I took the tour offered by the park service into the Fiery Furnace. That is a really pretty place. Thanks for sharing.

8. Likes Kuya liked this post
    Blog Entries

Lomatium Canyon -- Arches National Park

Dang I still need to have someone guide my friends and I through this (and Krill too). What's the time from car to car?
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Dang I still need to have someone guide my friends and I through this (and Krill too). What's the time from car to car?
    Lomatium alone can easily be done with a group of 4 - 6 in about 4 hours from the Fiery Furnace parking area and taking the complex route through the Furnace. However, since you have the permit to be in there, might as well enjoy the opportunity and hike around and see some of the other sights. Also, in estimating times, keep in mind the sign in process (gotta watch the film & be tested) and the drive time from the entrance to the parking area (minimum of 20 minutes one way).

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Peakbagger is right on. It took us almost exactly 4 hours to do the 4 miles. Granted we did take time to explore and see some sights. We also took some time to eat lunch at the first rappel. It was a very very enjoyable morning in the Furnace!
    My YouTube Channel

Well done. Gotta get back to Arches soon. Can anyone recommend the summit hike up Elephant Butte?

Re: Lomatium Canyon -- Arches National Park

Elephant Butte is probably the best route in Moab.

Sent using Tapatalk

That's the answer I was looking for. Better though, than Pool Arch/Rock of Ages? Simulrap off Pool was pretty cool.

Great pics! Another one that has been on my list for more than a year! Did you apply for the permit in advance, or just when you arrived? How many do they give out in a day?

Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
    Great pics! Another one that has been on my list for more than a year! Did you apply for the permit in advance, or just when you arrived? How many do they give out in a day?
    I have done the Firey Furnace a couple dozen times and I have never been denied a permit showing up at the visitor center the morning of my intended trip. Once I was told my group had reached the allotment limit and we were the last permits that would be issued for the day.

No garuntees... but Furnace permits are not an arrive early and stand in line type situation similar to Zion. Normally if you get to the VC before noon you are golden.

However.... the ranger guided tours do book up early and they do accept advance resevations which can be booked on-line.

More info here: http://climb-utah.com/Moab/furnace.htm

Thanks for posting.
    I showed up when the park visitor center opened and we didn't have any problems getting a permit. Earlier this year we took a group of scouts through the furnace and did the same thing. Didn't have any problems then either.
    My YouTube Channel

Thanks. Looks like I need to get a previous canyoneer to take me through a route. I'll inquire the group once I have a potential escape from work date.

19. Likes Kuya liked this post
    Thanks. Looks like I need to get a previous canyoneer to take me through a route. I'll inquire the group once I have a potential escape from work date.
    let me know when you wanna go. I will be happy to go again!
    My YouTube Channel

21. Likes Mountaineer liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    That's the answer I was looking for. Better though, than Pool Arch/Rock of Ages? Simulrap off Pool was pretty cool.
    You simul pool? Wasn't it pretty sketchy getting down there?

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    I have done the Firey Furnace a couple dozen times and I have never been denied a permit showing up at the visitor center the morning of my intended trip. Once I was told my group had reached the allotment limit and we were the last permits that would be issued for the day.

No garuntees... but Furnace permits are not an arrive early and stand in line type situation similar to Zion. Normally if you get to the VC before noon you are golden.

However.... the ranger guided tours do book up early and they do accept advance resevations which can be booked on-line.

More info here: http://climb-utah.com/Moab/furnace.htm

I have been turned away 3 times on busy weekends.

You simul pool? Wasn't it pretty sketchy getting down there?
    Sketchy, like crawl out there on hands and knees? Yes. I will dig up some old photos...

Some more fun with iMovie and the new movie trailer feature.

2nd Try

1st go at it

My buddy and I headed down to the FF to find Lomation and Krill this weekend. We were one of at least 3 groups doing the route. The "secret" route isn't very "secret" lol! It was a blast. We held up and let the other groups have their space. We didn't want to crowd or get crowded in the canyon. It was nice to take the time to do some little exploring along the way.
    My YouTube Channel

Re: Lomatium Canyon -- Arches National Park

Its not the route is secret.... its that canyoneers need to stay on route to avoid creating trails and stomping crypto or we will lose access to the route. And it seems the best way to do this is go with someone that has done the route before. Canyoneers have been put on notice by the park that if we become a problem in the FF we will lose access.

Sent using Tapatalk