Thread: Canyoneering on Lake Powell

Canyoneering on Lake Powell

Hi,

My buddy and I try to get out to Utah every year or so for canyoneering. We would love to descend some of the slots accessible from Lake Powell. Unfortunately, when I look at boat rentals on the tube they are for very expensive speed boats and fancy houseboats. Does anyone know where I should be looking for boat rentals for common folk like myself? I'm just looking for a Jon Boat to get me out to the slots, not looking to drop major coin on a floating house.

If anyone has any leads, even a Page, AZ resident, where I could get a reasonable rental, I would very much appreciate the info. Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Most 18' runabouts go for $400+day

That does not include gas.(close to $5 gal)

Plan on spending $5-600 per day.

And the stark reality is, most canyons require 2 watercraft or a designated person to do dropoff and pickup.

Then theres the logistics, food, water camping gear, toilet facility, etc

And doing un betaed canyons, the gear list will be high....

Absolutely make sure you are VERY proficient at keeper pothole escape and the use of potshots and sandtraps.

AHHH--and I forgot to mention permits!!

If your South/east of the San Juan arm, you are on Navajo land when you exceed 200' above full pool(3700')

They require "hiking" permits. must be purchased well in advance.

Does anyone know where I should be looking for boat rentals for common folk like myself?
    Since you mention Page, keep in mind that anything around the Marinas is going to have a big markup. Big Water is close to Page and prices are much cheaper.

http://www.skylite.net/

Rates:

http://www.skylite.net/Rates/rates.html

Renting a boat still isn't that cheap, but you aren't going to find them much cheaper than the places in Big Water if you are heading to the Page area. Still, a 22' 7 person boat is $260 a day, $741 for three days and $1521 a week (sometimes cheaper rates can be negotiated outside June-August, so it won't hurt asking for a discount). If you have several people to split the cost it's not too bad, but still not cheap.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

What Scott says is very true BUT, there are things to consider......

Aramark is the consessioneer on the Lake(+Antelope Point, but you likely won't like their pricing)

Renting from those outside GCNRA means YOU must trailer, launch and retrieve your own boat.

Great if you have a vehicle to do this, maybe not if you don't.

If you look to Bigwater, I highly recommend "Bigwater Boat Storage" a very well run business that will get you out quickly.

http://www.lake-powell-boats.com/

Remember--if you rent outside GCNRA, your rental clock starts ticking when you pick up the boat.

The BEST option for canyoneers, is a pontoon or tri toon boat.

Pontoons are slow, tri toons are not.

You will be driving around an hour on the water from Wahweap to get to any canyon destinations.

Trying to rent for a single day is very unlikely to work.

P.S.

A Jon Boat would likely get you killed at lake Powell.

Wind, waves and other boats have SUNK 20'+ boats, don't under estimate the size and power of the lake.

I believe last Memorial 7 boats sank due to wind storms.(very large waves)

Once again, pontoon/tri toons are very stable in rough water.

Thank you for your quick replies. I would probably rent a boat for at least a week. Sounds like the best option would be to form a larger group to share the cost of the rental, instead of sharing the cost between only my buddy and I. I am not saying I would do this, but one could buy a brand new boat with a small outboard motor for $1,000 and leave it on the side of the road when they are done and save money over a rental. It is unbelievable how much a boat rental costs. I'll get out there one day, but I don't see dropping $2,000 on a one week boat rental right now, at least for me. I bet this sure keeps traffic down out there.

I bet this sure keeps traffic down out there.
    Uh, no. Lake Powell is one of the most popular and crowded tourist attractions on the Colorado Plateau. Only places like the South Rim of the Grand Canyon can compare. Some months have had close to one million visitors in a single month. Even with the high rates, many boats in summer are booked out way in advance and it is recommended that you book well in advance if you want one.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.