Thread: Bridal Veil Falls

Bridal Veil Falls

Bridal Veil Falls! This is a BEAUTIFUL waterfall located in Provo Canyon. Having lived in Utah Valley for nearly 8 years now, I had never visited this waterfall. I had driven by it many times, even rode my bike passed it, but I had never spent any time just at the waterfall.

Since I have joined the sport of Canyoneering, I have read a few trip reports detailing how to rappel down the 200 foot falls! Lets just say that I have always been in love with water and waterfalls, combine that with climbing and rappelling and it is instant affair!

The approach to this falls is very difficult. It is quite the hike to get to the top of the upper falls. both falls are about 200 feet long. (Yes there is a upper and lower falls) It is hard enough to get to the top of the lower falls, let alone trying to rock climb to the top of the upper falls. If it weren't for old electric wires and cables left over from the old gondola, one would need full trad climbing gear to get to the top.

The views from up on top of these falls are amazing! Furthermore, I don't think I have been to a more beautiful waterfall in Utah. I have yet to go to Calf Creek Falls, but until I do and can experience those for myself, Bridal Veil Falls takes the cake! As majestic and huge as the lower falls are, I really fell in love with the Upper section. There was not one there but us, and the falls were just stunning! I tell ya, some things in life are worth the little extra work it takes to get there! The upper section of Bridal Veil Falls is one of those time it is worth the extra work.

Moving on, once we reached the top of the waterfall, we enjoyed rigging the rappel. THere are not any bolts up there, so we strung our webbing through a bunch of bushes to create our anchor. After a little while, of checking and rechecking that anchor we were finally ready for the rap. I had my 300 foot rope, which easily reached to bottom of the rappel. the only problem we had was retrieving the rope. IT was impossible for us to pull, but we decided to deal with that problem later.

Josh was the first one off the rap! the rest was history :) We all soon followed and had a wonderful experience!

Because we couldn't pull our rope from the bottom, Josh climbed back up to try and rig it so we could pull it. As he descended the upper falls for the second time, and attempted--and failed--to pull the rope from the bottom again, he climbed yet a 3rd time up that 200-300 feet just to drop the rope and then climb back down! What a stud! That is not a easy climb and he did it 3 TIMES!!!

After we were all done with the upper section we rigged up the rappel to do the lower section. It was getting darker by this time, and we were a little concerned about kicking rocks onto the people below, but we decided to go anyway (figured it was safer than hiking down in the dark LOL).

IT was completely different than the Upper Falls, and it was AMAZING! But, because it was dark when I went, I have need to go back and do it again!

Enjoy the Video. Some pictures of this same TR are found here:

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?65241-Bridal-Veil-Falls
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Cool video! Last time we were up at the upper falls there was a good anchor almost at the brink on the left side (LDC). Must be gone now. Also, the climb up depends on conditions. The first time we went up it was pretty wet and it was terrifying. In dryer conditions, though, the cables are useful and they make the climb a little less scary, but not totally necessary (at least in my opinion). Good work, though! That rappel down the upper falls there is tons of fun!
    --Cliff

Mmmmbop?
    Great video, had to mute that song though

Quote Originally Posted by ilipichicuma View Post
    Cool video! Last time we were up at the upper falls there was a good anchor almost at the brink on the left side (LDC). Must be gone now. Also, the climb up depends on conditions. The first time we went up it was pretty wet and it was terrifying. In dryer conditions, though, the cables are useful and they make the climb a little less scary, but not totally necessary (at least in my opinion). Good work, though! That rappel down the upper falls there is tons of fun!
    Thanks! The videos are fun to make.

I can imagine how the conditions can dramatically change the approach to those falls. I for one was very glad to have the cables to aid our climb up the chute. with gear and 300 feet of rope on my back, I don't think I could have made the climb with out them. Maybe if I lost 30 lbs and had better climbing skills I could do it comfortably without aid. maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave Silence View Post
    Mmmmbop?
    Great video, had to mute that song though
    HAHA! To each his own. Im not ashamed .
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey