Thread: Intact ceramic artifacts still In-Situ after almost two decades!

Intact ceramic artifacts still In-Situ after almost two decades!

Hey all. I thought that I would post some Pictures of these two artifacts that I found in the early 1990's within 3 months of each other. The first one is an "Olla" and was set in place to catch water during drought periods in the past. Inside the vessel is a smaller scooped bowl that I assume was used to get the water out of the larger vessel. I set a metal sign and site tag after discovery and a recent check of the site revealed no change since then. (I don't think many people can fit into the cave anymore). It is located around the edge of a rather huge basalt sinkhole (approx. 200'w x 150'd) Name:  Ceramic Olla.jpg
Views: 977
Size:  111.5 KB Next on the agenda was a trip out to check the other find. A 10" diameter by 4" deep plainware bowl found facedown at the edge of a 300 foot deep tectonic earth fissure (earth crack). The bowl has a smudged gloss black interior and is virtually perfect except for a small chip on the rim. An interesting sidenote is that The Arizona State Archaeologist from the State Museum landed his Cesna on the road and came out to do the initial excavation. Before I showed him where the artifact was I was promised that the bowl would remain where it was found, and it's still there. There was nothing found under the bowl and the State Archaeologist said it was probably an offering to the underworld and that it was supposed to fall over the edge someday. The Game and Fish recently built a trail very near the area and when talking with the G+F rep. he stated that they had removed that bowl a long time ago but he did not know any details. I was very glad to see that it was still there. Enjoy the Pic's everybody. OZ....Name:  Ceramic bowl.jpg
Views: 820
Size:  49.1 KBName:  DSCF0237.jpg
Views: 846
Size:  76.4 KBName:  DSCF0239.jpg
Views: 872
Size:  112.2 KBName:  DSCF0243.jpg
Views: 879
Size:  128.8 KB
    Always remember that while traveling, A Tall Leggy Blonde is much better than a group of Gaseous chums! OZ....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Very jealous of your finds. When we are exploring my wife pokes her nose in every nook and cranny hoping to find something this cool. I'm usually to busy taking pictures.
    We must go forward, even if we can't!

Damn! That's a nice lookin' gash!
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    Damn! That's a nice lookin' gash!
    If you are ever in No. AZ. I could show you many more of these earth cracks, some as deep as 500'. Thanks for looking. OZ....
    Always remember that while traveling, A Tall Leggy Blonde is much better than a group of Gaseous chums! OZ....

Neat!

I'd almost suggest deleting the gash photo...folks are good at sniffin' out locations from photo's...

Thanks for the pic's!

Good advice Brian! The Gash is not the actual one with the pot, just a representative. The Pot would be many miles away. Thanks. OZ....

8. Likes Brian in SLC liked this post

AW: Intact ceramic artifacts still In-Situ after almost two decades!

...wow, what a great story and pictures too! :thumbup:
    Thx for sharing.

Gesendet von meinem ViperXed HOX |2.7.1| mit Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by zzyzx View Post
    ...wow, what a great story and pictures too! :thumbup:
    Thx for sharing.

Gesendet von meinem ViperXed HOX |2.7.1| mit Tapatalk 2
    Thanks for looking. Glad you enjoyed it. OZ....

Sweet! Glad they were still there. Thx for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by MPH View Post
    Sweet! Glad they were still there. Thx for sharing!
    Glad you enjoyed the Pics. OZ....

Intact ceramic artifacts still In-Situ after almost two decades!

Cool. Some day, some day. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    wnorton @ Southern, UT