Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: San Rafeal Swell: The Squeeze (video)

San Rafeal Swell: The Squeeze (video)

Hi Everyone,

This group was brought together by Bogley. The four of us met for the first time in San Rafeal Swell October 6, 2012 and completed The Squeeze the next day. This canyon is advanced and challenging. See candition.com for my short run down. This video is the highlights. Enjoy.

Last edited by summitseeker; 11-12-2012 at 05:08 PM. Reason: forgot word

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Sweet... Nice vid. Tons of water... brrrrrrr. You take the Miner's Trail to get up there?

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by summitseeker View Post
    Hi Everyone,

This group was brought together by Bogley. The four of us met for the first time in San Rafeal Swell October 6, 2012 and completed The Squeeze the next day. This canyon is advanced and challenging. See candition.com for my short run down. This video is the highlights. Enjoy.
    NICE Video! I love that canyon! thanks for the Video TR!
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

Re: San Rafeal Swell: The Squeeze (video)

Thanks for sharing and nice job. Segers is one of the best!

Nice video!

Sent using Tapatalk

Nice video

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    ou take the Miner's Trail to get up there?

Tom
    How long did it take you to get to the squeeze via the Miners Trail?
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    How long did it take you to get to the squeeze via the Miners Trail?
    We left Hidden Splendor camp at 8:08 am, and were in the canyon at 10:38. However, that is pretty high in the canyon. My picture crawling under the log says 11:47.

@summitseeker - You?

Tom

Great Vid. Thx for posting

We left Hidden Splendor camp at 8:08 am, and were in the canyon at 10:38. However, that is pretty high in the canyon. My picture crawling under the log says 11:47.

You?

Tom
    We haven't gone that route yet. I am glad that you discovered it though! It sounds like the Miners Camp route will shave off 2-3 hours of hiking time. I can't wait to try it out.
    My YouTube Channel

We haven't gone that route yet. I am glad that you discovered it though! It sounds like the Miners Camp route will shave off 2-3 hours of hiking time. I can't wait to try it out.
    I did not discover it, a user here on Bogley gave it to me (and everyone).

Not a valid conclusion, I think. I can make 3-3/4 hrs to the crawl-under by walking through the gorge and climbing the Moroni Slope and down the edge of the bowl the other "new way" I have worked out on the last couple of trips. So, no, it gives more canyon, but I think the overall time is the same. Our trip was 12 hrs car to car.

(Which is why I asked about their time, whichever way they went).

Tom

I did not discover it, a user here on Bogley gave it to me (and everyone).

Not a valid conclusion, I think. I can make 3-3/4 hrs to the crawl-under by walking through the gorge and climbing the Moroni Slope and down the edge of the bowl the other "new way" I have worked out on the last couple of trips. So, no, it gives more canyon, but I think the overall time is the same. Our trip was 12 hrs car to car.

(Which is why I asked about their time, whichever way they went).

Tom
    I should be more clear. I was thinking that by taking the miners trail it will knock of a few hours of the approach hike. A few extra hours in the canyon would be very nice
    My YouTube Channel

I should be more clear. I was thinking that by taking the miners trail it will knock of a few hours of the approach hike. A few extra hours in the canyon would be very nice
    Ah, I agree. I think the overall journey is better. But it takes about the same amount of time.

Tom

Ah, I agree. I think the overall journey is better. But it takes about the same amount of time.

Tom
    Very good to know. Thank you Tom!
    My YouTube Channel

Great video. I like your taste in music.

It still appears Seger's is a bolt garden. A lot of those raps could be drop/slide-into-water, swim outs (as long as it aint a keeper). Every little drop is bolted it seems - even the <10' ones.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

FWIW: The Miners approach to the Squeeze is available on Climb-Utah.com with map, pictures of the route and GPS waypoints.

The Squeeze - San Rafael Swell

It also includes information on a nice panel of rock art along the route that I have not seen mentioned elsewhere, which is a nice bonus to the route.

These were our approximate times

Left camp at airstrip at 6:06am
    At the top of ramp (miners route, at top of eyedropper) at 8:01am
    Explored eyedropper rappel for 15-20 minutes
    Near the head of Squeeze at 8:58am
    In the narrows at 9:36am
    Log crawl at approximately 9:45
    Lunch at 12noon
    Sun at bottom of big rap at 2pm
    Changed and hiking back at 5:21pm
    Back at camp at 7:00pm

FWIW Eyedropper was kinda cool, not my favorite. Thanks to Tom for the exploration and vague beta.
    If a get 20 thumbs up and multiple written inquires I'll post our video of eyedropper...

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    Great video. I like your taste in music.

It still appears Seger's is a bolt garden. A lot of those raps could be drop/slide-into-water, swim outs (as long as it aint a keeper). Every little drop is bolted it seems - even the <10' ones.
    The water conditions we encountered made it quite difficult. None of us had done the canyon before and the water was just low enough to cause ankle injury if sliding in; you couldn't see what you were landing on. We did a lot of spotting but the bolts were very helpful in these low conditions. I was glad to have them. If the water was 2 feet lower it would have been very challenging and a hook anchor may have been needed in places.