Thread: Roost Trip Suggestions

Roost Trip Suggestions

I'm headed back to the Roost around thanksgiving for 4-5 days. I have been to the roost a few times but it will be the first time for other members of our group.

So far, we hope to do Not mindbender and Alcatraz (my two favorites in the roost so far), and would love to hear about recent conditions. We might also do chambers on the way out, but I'm not sure if everyone in the group will be up for it. I guess we'll see after Alcatraz.

Anyway, I'm looking for recommendations for 2 more canyons. So far we are open to suggestions but currently thinking about possible combos of:
    north fork of robbers roost + white roost,
    or high spur + red spur.

Not everyone in our party has wetsuits, might that be an issue for the spur? Is either area considered way more fun than the other? Finally, how are the roads? We have a 4WD truck with plenty of clearance, but we are considering bringing a camper (the kind that goes in the truck bed).

Thanks!

PS. Larry is a great canyon, but I've done it a few times and am looking for something new.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nfork of rr is gorgeous...easy tech for the most part...I think 4-5 raps with nothing to crazy..pretty straight forward...fun little scramble out

white roost area is a hoot...I like the west fork with the fun exit crack going down...when you get to the horse trail out, continue down canyon for a while...springs, bull rushes, etc. very pretty...

High spur area is gorgeous as well. Narrower...

That time of year u might want a little more sun, I would probably do the white roost and nfrr area...a little more open...

Quote Originally Posted by bladerider View Post
    I'm headed back to the Roost around thanksgiving for 4-5 days. I have been to the roost a few times but it will be the first time for other members of our group.

So far, we hope to do Not mindbender and Alcatraz (my two favorites in the roost so far), and would love to hear about recent conditions. We might also do chambers on the way out, but I'm not sure if everyone in the group will be up for it. I guess we'll see after Alcatraz.

Anyway, I'm looking for recommendations for 2 more canyons. So far we are open to suggestions but currently thinking about possible combos of:
    or high spur + red spur.

Not everyone in our party has wetsuits, might that be an issue for the spur? Is either area considered way more fun than the other? Finally, how are the roads? We have a 4WD truck with plenty of clearance, but we are considering bringing a camper (the kind that goes in the truck bed).

Thanks!

PS. Larry is a great canyon, but I've done it a few times and am looking for something new.
    what bout the clssic blue jhon?
    alcatraz can get narrow at spots,lst weekend somebody did and was dry but can old some water!
    the white roost was nice and easy, if you do not know your group I will not start with hard canyons, nd from wht i remeber the upclimb in chamber were a pain,plus the size can be an issue,any chubbies?
    also how big is your group,most of the times published are with only 2 people so if you have a group of 8 is impossible to v cover those times. keep in mind in winter getdarker sooner.
    road in the roost get bad with rain but just wait until freeze and th mud solidify,did that in escalante nd work as a charm,usually subaru forester went almost everywere in the roost.

Not everyone in our party has wetsuits, might that be an issue for the spur?
    Conditions can change, so take this with a big grain of salt, but some of the canyons that typically stay the driest in the Roost are Moonshine, the Thee Canyon side forks, West Fork Bluejohn, Main Fork Bluejohn and Bull Pasture. White Roost too. Alcatraz will have small pools in it almost for sure. We did it a couple weeks ago, but I don't know if the last storm did anything. If not, it probably has some pools, but it isn't that wet. I'd call the Hans Flat Ranger station to find out if the last storm dropped anything. Canyons such as Larry (which you've already done anyway) likely do too as it seems to hold water more than others (although I've done it while bone dry too).

I don't know the Spur area that well, so can't comment on those.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Conditions can change, so take this with a big grain of salt, but some of the canyons that typically stay the driest in the Roost are Moonshine, the Thee Canyon side forks, West Fork Bluejohn, Main Fork Bluejohn and Bull Pasture. White Roost too. Alcatraz will have small pools in it almost for sure. We did it a couple weeks ago, but I don't know if the last storm did anything. If not, it probably has some pools, but it isn't that wet. I'd call the Hans Flat Ranger station to find out if the last storm dropped anything. Canyons such as Larry (which you've already done anyway) likely do too as it seems to hold water more than others (although I've done it while bone dry too).

I don't know the Spur area that well, so can't comment on those.
    There is potential for a long, cold pool at the intersection of the Squeeze Fork and the East Fork of Bluejohn. It was a surprise when we found it, one very hot day in early May, when it was a very, very cold swim and wade.

Tom

Bull pasture...when I did it last spring, I remember thinking it would be a great canyon in cooler weather...it does have a long hike out IMO but I enjoyed following the old road out...amazing views!